Day 12: stinky gas since I started

It's embarrassing to write about this, but ever since I started whole 30, I've had the worst smelling gas. It's awful! I've never had this problem prior to whole30. Is this normal? Otherwise, I feel perfectly fine. I'm on day 12.

I'm not eating any new foods so to speak. Just eating way more veggies and eggs than I did before I started whole30.

Thank you!

Without even seeing your food I'm guessing you have a problem with high FODMAP foods - and the thing with FODMAPs is that they have a cumulative effect, so whilst you may be able to cope with a portion of broccoli, or a half an avocado, some roasted sprouts, or some sauteed onions when you eat them all in one day, and continue to eat them over the course of a few days your digestive system just can't cope.

Cruciferous veg, or those veg high in sulphur can also be problematic, as can nuts/nut butters which are notoriously hard on the digestive system, but the nuts are less likely to cause gas.

Can you list a few days worth of your typical food intake so we can take a look and hopefully help you to troubleshoot?

Thank you! What are FODMAP foods?

You can see my daily meals here (if you want to take a look visually): https://www.instagram.com/team_sherwood/

Otherwise...

Breakfast : 2 fried eggs with veggies (whatever I have on hand: either sweet potato, red potato, mushroom, onion, mixed greens, bell pepper, zucchini, cabbage, cauliflower rice) and sometimes half avocado.

Lunch: left over dinner or throw some veggies with chicken sausage and half avocado or a small clementine

Dinner: a protein (shredded pork butt, beef, ground turkey, chicken, chicken sausage) with veggies

My meals tend to look the same, and I usually have the same variety of veggies but change it around every day. So may do sweet potatoes with mixed greens for breakfast. Then dinner may just be taco meat over cauliflower rice with lettuce tomato and guacamole. Or spaghetti sauce over zucchini noodles.

These are things I've always eaten, but I'd say I'm probably eating way more frequent and in larger quantities. And eggs, I eat them every day now versus like once a week before whole 30.

But it's awful! I've seriously never had gas this bad. And I've always been very regular, but ever since starting whole30, I'm not nearly as regular. I feel great and enjoy doing whole30 so much, but it's embarrassing being this stinky.

What do you think I should do?? Thanks!

• Moderators

Can I take a probiotic? Would that be whole30 compliant?

There are compliant probiotics, read your labels and look for ones that don't have a bunch of extra stuff in them. This is an older article, I'm not sure the ones mentioned are still compliant, because companies change formulas, but it should give you and idea of what to look for. You can also add probiotics through fermented foods like raw sauerkraut, kimchi, or other fermented vegetables.

Here's an explanation of what FODMAPS are.

Also worth noting, cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, and brussel sprouts cause gas in some people, especially when eaten in large quantities, so if you're eating a lot more of those than usual, maybe branch out into other vegetables for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm on day 26 and my gas is still stinky :( the past week I've cut out cauliflower, cabbage, and eggs. Still haven't seen a difference.

Any other suggestions?

Breakfast lately:

-1 chicken Apple sausage link

-sweet potato OR red potato

-carrots OR beets w/ a green (spinach, mixed greens)

*sometimes a fruit or avocado, every now and then

I was eating 2 fried eggs every morning, but wasn't sure if that was contributing to my gas.

Lunch:

Usually leftovers (see below), or a meal similar to breakfast

Dinner:

-mel joulwan's chili

OR

-hamburger on a bed of spring mix with tomato

-red potato

-half an avocado

OR

-ground turkey spaghetti sauce over sweet potato noodles

OR

-chicken and sausage jambalaya over caulirice (haven't done the "rice" in over a week.

OR

-taco salads

Mostly the only meats I eat are chicken Apple sausage, ground beef, ground turkey, chicken

Veggies lately:

Always cooked: sweet potato, red potato, carrots, beets, spinach, mixed greens, mushroom

Raw: spring mix, cucumber, tomatoes

Don't drink anything other than water (probably don't get 75iz in, but try to come close)

Have the occasional banana or clementine, try to with a meal, sometimes stand alone.

I've been taking a probiotic.

What else should I do?? It still stinks so bad!

So I'm on day 26 and my gas is still stinky :( the past week I've cut out cauliflower, cabbage, and eggs. Still haven't seen a difference.

Any other suggestions?

Breakfast lately:

-1 chicken Apple sausage link

-sweet potato OR red potato

-carrots OR beets w/ a green (spinach, mixed greens)

*sometimes a fruit or avocado, every now and then

I was eating 2 fried eggs every morning, but wasn't sure if that was contributing to my gas.

Lunch:

Usually leftovers (see below), or a meal similar to breakfast

Dinner:

-mel joulwan's chili

OR

-hamburger on a bed of spring mix with tomato

-red potato

-half an avocado

OR

-ground turkey spaghetti sauce (possibly - tomato sauces can be problematic for some) over sweet potato noodles

OR

-chicken and sausage jambalaya over caulirice (haven't done the "rice" in over a week.

OR

-taco salads

Mostly the only meats I eat are chicken Apple sausage, ground beef, ground turkey, chicken

Veggies lately:

Always cooked: sweet potato, red potato, carrots, beets, spinach, mixed greens, mushroom

Raw: spring mix, cucumber, tomatoes

Don't drink anything other than water (probably don't get 75iz in, but try to come close)

Have the occasional banana or clementine, try to with a meal, sometimes stand alone.

I've been taking a probiotic.

What else should I do?? It still stinks so bad!

Sorry to hear you're still feeling so bad...

Did you read the link in Shannon's post about the FODMAPs? You've pretty much eliminated the cruciferous veg but you're still eating A LOT of high FODMAP foods which could well be contributing to your problem - they certainly would for me. I've highlighted all of them above for you so as you can see just how much you're eating in a day.

I suggest you eat from the green list on >this link< (about half way down the page) for a week or so to see if things improve....

I did read it, and I thought I had eliminated all red area things. I guess I'll eliminate yellow area items too. Thank you for responding!

Can I ask, why would these symptoms just develop now? I've never had digestive issues, heartburn, bloating, constipation, etc that would indicate problems. I've eaten all of these things for many years (the ones I'm now having to eliminate).

My diet before wasn't the greatest, but it wasn't horrible either, but I felt better, or at least less stinky before whole 30. Other than gas I feel fine, I don't really feel much different than before I started. Is that normal? Am I doing something wrong?

I'm guessing you're eating a lot more of these items now though, and daily, whereas it may have been more sporadic previously.

FODMAPs have a cumulative effect on the digestive system as the malabsorbed sugars build up, and for many folks there is a line that they can't cross as far as how much of these foods they eat is concerned - once they cross that line that's when the problems start.

I had been eating paleo for a number of years before I came to Whole30, and ate Whole30esque for a full 6 months before I started having problems - but having eliminated all high FODMAPs (amber & red lists) for six months I'm gradually reintroducing all of them again.

FODMAPs are more noticeable when you're not eating grains and dairy and you're eating a lot of veggies and fruits, but the digestive issue is always there.

There have long been people who can't tolerate garlic and onions, cruciferous veg are known for their wind generating entertainment :) We just don't tend to associate these things with FODMAPs (it's a pretty new field of research).

Sugar alcohols (not compliant) which cause a laxative effect (you've probably seen this on a label somewhere) are also usually FODMAPs.

• 2 years later...

I had and have the same problem. It has been a little over 4 months since I completed whole30, and I had the worst, most foul smelling gas while on the diet. I read about FODMAP foods and I don’t completely disagree that it can be that. However I have continued to have this foul smelling gas, whether I eat those vegetables or not. Four months later, the only thing that I have consistently noticed that gives me foul gas is after I eat meat. Every single time. For four whole months. Will this ever go away?! I just can’t deal anymore. What the heck happened along the way? 

• 2 weeks later...

hello...smelly gas here too! i imagine it is for all the eggs as i dont eat most of the food on "red carpet" on FODMAP. the most alarming thing is that i am highly constipated, really dont know what to do. i am drinking 2 litres of water per day, i have my magnesium chloride in the morning, i have self produced coconut milk kefir for the probiotics, eating veggies, but still...i dont know what to do, any suggestion? is it psyllium husk allowed? i dont take any chemical stuff so i dont want to opt for a chemical laxative. thx

2 liters of water a day is sufficient if you're ~132lbs. And I know from previous posts that you're totally set on making Whole30 work as a weight loss diet, so I wouldn't be surprised if you're dehydrated and low on fats. 

Water should be about 1/2 oz of water per lb of body weight, a bit more if you're exercising regularly. 

5 hours ago, annael said:

hello...smelly gas here too! i imagine it is for all the eggs as i dont eat most of the food on "red carpet" on FODMAP. the most alarming thing is that i am highly constipated, really dont know what to do. i am drinking 2 litres of water per day, i have my magnesium chloride in the morning, i have self produced coconut milk kefir for the probiotics, eating veggies, but still...i dont know what to do, any suggestion? is it psyllium husk allowed? i dont take any chemical stuff so i dont want to opt for a chemical laxative. thx

I've been having some digestion/bloating/constipation issues the past week or so, and I have cut out almost all of the FODMAP foods I was eating (TONS of avocado, apples, almost every veggie), got some "Smooth Move" tea, and got back into my regular magnesium habit. The tea has helped a lot with the constipation...I've just had two cups, one per night and already have relief. And I'm hoping that limiting the FODMAPS and getting back to taking the magnesium will help me stay more regular. I will probably only have the tea one more night, since it's definitely a laxative and I don't want to rely on that or get into a bad habit, you know?

9 minutes ago, racheleats said:

I've been having some digestion/bloating/constipation issues the past week or so, and I have cut out almost all of the FODMAP foods I was eating (TONS of avocado, apples, almost every veggie), got some "Smooth Move" tea, and got back into my regular magnesium habit. The tea has helped a lot with the constipation...I've just had two cups, one per night and already have relief. And I'm hoping that limiting the FODMAPS and getting back to taking the magnesium will help me stay more regular. I will probably only have the tea one more night, since it's definitely a laxative and I don't want to rely on that or get into a bad habit, you know?

i take magnesium chloride in the morning and i dont know exactly which tea you are referring to. anyway i will try to soak overnight a spoon of flaxseed (compliant or not i dont have a choice now) and will drink the slimy stuff tomorrow morning, hoping for the best. i noticed tonight that i am not hungry because i am "full" and i am wondering if it might help giving my body some rest and not eating for a day (how i am going to survive i dunno though!)

22 minutes ago, annael said:

i take magnesium chloride in the morning and i dont know exactly which tea you are referring to. anyway i will try to soak overnight a spoon of flaxseed (compliant or not i dont have a choice now) and will drink the slimy stuff tomorrow morning, hoping for the best. i noticed tonight that i am not hungry because i am "full" and i am wondering if it might help giving my body some rest and not eating for a day (how i am going to survive i dunno though!)

I use the Natural Calm magnesium, and have been taking it at night since it makes me sleepy. This is the tea that I tried and had some good luck with. https://thrivemarket.com/p/traditional-medicinals-organic-smooth-move-tea?utm_source=google&amp;utm_medium=pla&amp;utm_medium=pla&amp;utm_source=google&amp;utm_campaign=Shopping_Food_Beverages&amp;utm_content=032917002006&amp;utm_term=google-pla_na&amp;gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiYjf_8zg2wIVx1mGCh2cww15EAYYASABEgLT1vD_BwE 

4 minutes ago, racheleats said:

ok thank, i see the major component is senna leaves, i know it! i thx

• 2 weeks later...

This has been so helpful to know that I am not alone! I have been eating Whole30 for 5 years now, and I just developed these symptoms and I am at my wits end. Stinky gas, constipation, bloating, irregular bowel movements, changes in bowel movement consistency and urgency, and stomach aches. I am going to eliminate all of the high FODMAP foods, however, I'm having trouble comparing the Whole30 low FODMAP shopping list and the list from The Paleo Mom as they slightly contradict each other. I know that the blue items on the Whole30 low FODMAP shopping list are the best choice while the greyed out items should be avoided, but should those items in black be limited or just cut out until you get a handle on what is upsetting your system? I'm guessing I should just go with the items in green on Paleo Mom and the blue items on the Whole30 list? Thank you!

• 2 months later...

I am on day 12 of my whole30 and I am having the same issue.  It is 10:40am and I have passed gas at least 35 times this morning.  I am also constipated.  Before Whole30 i went to the bathroom at least a solid 2 times.  The excessive gas started around day 9.  I was thinking it may be part of pms symptoms but not so sure.  I usually have bacon and eggs for breakfast, a handful of pistachios, lunch meat and veggies and dinner the same. I would like to have a good bathroom break to full some relief because currently I feel very bloated.  More so then when I would drink a 6 pack of beer 4+times a week. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, keykeymc said:

I am on day 12 of my whole30 and I am having the same issue.  It is 10:40am and I have passed gas at least 35 times this morning.  I am also constipated.  Before Whole30 i went to the bathroom at least a solid 2 times.  The excessive gas started around day 9.  I was thinking it may be part of pms symptoms but not so sure.  I usually have bacon and eggs for breakfast, a handful of pistachios, lunch meat and veggies and dinner the same. I would like to have a good bathroom break to full some relief because currently I feel very bloated.  More so then when I would drink a 6 pack of beer 4+times a week. 

Are you drinking plenty of water -- aiming for 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so a 120-lb person needs at least 60 oz? 

You don't give a lot of detail about your meals, but they may not be matching the meal template. Every meal should have 1-2 palm-sized portions of protein or if eggs are your only protein, as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand, so probably 3-4; 1-2 thumb-sized portions of fat like oil or mayo, or 1-2 heaping handfuls of olives or coconut flakes, or 1/2 to a whole avocado, or 1/4-1/2 a can of full-fat coconut milk, or a small closed handful of nuts or seeds -- pick one or two of the options in addition to whatever oil you cook in; and then fill the plate up with vegetables, so 2-3 cups of vegetables at each meal, or more if it's loosely packed leafy greens. Each meal, three times a day, should look like that -- you need the vegetables for the fiber, and you really need a mix of different types of vegetables so you get soluble and insoluble fiber, so throughout the week, have some leafy greens, some starchy vegetables, and other types of vegetables. 

Nuts and seeds are fine to have, they're a fat choice, but they can cause digestive issues like bloating, so it's best to not have them every day. 

If you want more feedback on your particular meals, you can list a day or two of what you typically eat and we can help you figure out how to make it meet the template better. You can download a copy of the meal template here:  https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

Archived