Serik - Making it Stick

Serik

My post Whole30 log.

I've completed 5 (I think) Whole30's and have never successfully figured out how to ride my own bike. I began this last one on January 12 at 277 lbs... the highest weight I've been in years (though not the highest ever) and probably 20 lbs higher than when I began my first Whole30 in 2012. Most of this weight can on in the past year. I was down to 261 by day 31 and today am at 258.5. That being said, I did not focus on weight loss with this Whole30 (though, to be completely honest I did expect to lose.) So why did I do it this time? #1 I want more energy in general and want to be able to play with my kids more, #2 I was waking almost every morning with more back pain and wanted that gone, #3 my knees were really starting to bother me... sitting down hurt, going up or down stairs hurt #4 I've been struggling with anxiety and was hoping for some relief.

(To be continued...)

What did I do differently/ how was my thinking different this time?

What were my results beyond weight loss?

What's my plan now?

These are the questions I want to answer and write down in my log. Keeping up my log during the Whole30 seemed to be really helpful so I want to continue to do so but I haven't had the time to sit and write so I'll get to it eventually. The kids are back to school tomorrow so maybe in the next day or so.

I do want to continue to track my meals at least through the reintroductions so I'm going to attempt to catch up for the past three days... Don't know if I'll remember it all though.

Friday:

Meal 1

Eggs scrambled in ghee with salsa and collard greens

Meal 2

Tuna and mayo with carrots and celery, pickle, a couple of olives

Meal 3

Salmon cakes, tartar sauce, roasted green beans (omg these were good)

I was hungry and snacky that day... Had some nuts, dates, coconut butter, etc... Need to stop this trend...I was so good during the Whole30 I need to keep that under control

Saturday

Meal 1

3 eggs fried in ghee, baby carrots

Meal 2

Salmon cakes with mayo, sweet potato/pumpkin soup made with bone broth

Meal 3

Steak, carrots, broccoli, dill dip

Today - Sunday reintro non-gluten grains

Meal 1

Gluten free oatmeal with dried apricots, ghee, coconut butter, salmon cakes

Meal 2

Tuna salad with mayo, carrots, celery on large bowl of greens, cup of bone broth

Popcorn with ghee

Meal 3

3 chicken drumsticks, broccoli with ghee, rice with ghee

I've felt really good today. We'll see what the next couple of days bring.

One thought about the snacky day.  I find that having just eggs and veggies for breakfast leaves me hungry too soon.  The fat-protein mix in eggs just isn't quite right.  So I add protein in the form of whatever leftover meat we have in the house.  It's a quick chop and toss into the pan, nothing fancy. I find it much more satisfying, though.

ThyPeace, misses popcorn.  Hope it was kind to you!

Thanks ThyPeace, I do definitely feel more satisfied when I add other protein. I also usually try to add some fat as well, but, in general, meal 1 is the one I struggle to make fit the template. I just haven't gotten into a consistent routine that includes planning food ahead, so am often rushing around in the morning.

So, I'm not sure how I feel after the non-gluten grains. I'm definitely tried today, but I did not sleep well because 2 of my boys were up in the night...so, which is the cause of my fatigue? I did have some digestive distress this morning, and a slight bit of headache (but again, is that lack of sleep?) My mood is horrible, but possibly caused by PMS and an argument with my sweetie that is unresolved. My suspicion is that the symptoms are caused by a combination of things. I'll probably try these foods again somewhere down the road and see what happens.

Today's food

Meal 1

3 hard boiled eggs, apple, coffee

Meal 2

4 chicken drumsticks, dinner plate full of greens with dressing, raw carrots and broccoli with dill dip, bone broth with turmeric, coriander, Coconut Amino's

Meal 3

Pot roast with carrots and onions, mashed potatoes with coconut milk and ghee (looking forward to this meal, the house smells soooo good!)

Felt pretty good today. Got a decent sleep last night, kids didn't bother me until after the alarm went off. Mood was much better. So...still don't know what was caused by the reintro vs. other factors. I'm a little stuffy, one ear is crackling a bit, I had a bit of a headache while driving the kids home from school but didn't last long. Technically should be trying legumes tomorrow but may wait another day - partially because I don't really have anything in the house but also to give my body another day of good food. We'll see though. On March 5th we're going to my boss's house for dinner and I want to definitely have a few days after the gluten reintro to really be able to evaluate before eating who knows what.

Meal 1

3 eggs fried in ghee, coconut butter, ½ apple

Meal 2

4 chicken drumsticks, broccoli with ghee, butternut squash (omg stuffed... Ate waaaaay too fast, didn't feel great for a while)

Meal 3

Leftover pot roast, carrots, onions, mashed potatoes, pan juices, applesauce, 2 dates with coconut butter (okay, I didn't really need those, but I stopped at 2! That's some serious progress... but when they're gone, they won't be replaced, can't have them in the house)

OK, decided to go ahead with the legume reintro today.

Meal 1

3 eggs fried in ghee, handful of peanuts, 2 dried apricots

Meal 2

Fried egg salad (because one of the 6-year-olds didn't eat his breakfast) celery, ½ apple, dates, peanut butter and coconut butter, 2 dill pickles

Meal 3

Steak, broccoli (either roasted in some kind of fat or steamed with ghee), lentils and tomatoes cooked in bone broth, roasted potatoes (maybe)

Really need to go grocery shopping. Good thing payday is tomorrow!

Had my physical today. Was a little worried about my blood pressure and cholesterol since my wife's were up when she went last week. I didn't need to worry about a thing though. Even though my kids gave me a hassle about getting out the door for school this morning my blood pressure was 114/62, and cholesterol was good: TC-166, HDL-55, TRG-85, LDL-95, non-HDL-112, TC/HDL-3.0. I don't really know what the ranges are supposed to be, I'll look that up later. All I know is that at my last 2 physicals I've been told to come back for a re-check because my cholesterol was high. I never went back last year. I'm fairly certain, though, that if I had gone for this appointment a month ago, the numbers would have been much different. I REALLY need to figure out how to make this stick this time.

We really are taking the reintros seriously and methodically as laid out in the book. So far, I think non-gluten grains are going to be okay once in a while, though we both think we should do another reintro to be sure. I also think legumes are okay. For now, though, once we're past the reintro phase we'll be sticking pretty close to the Whole30 way of eating. We'll probably have something not exactly on plan when we go to dinner with my boss, and then on Easter and the day after for my birthday - but that doesn't have to mean a two day free-for-all!! Then, on March 29 I'm planning on a Whole14 (at least) to try to make sure we don't get totally off-track.

Here's the food for today:

Meal 1

3 eggs scrambled with coconut oil, broccoli and onions, green tea

(Didn't finish my eggs because I had to deal with kids)

Meal 2

Finish my breakfast plus what one of the boys didn't eat... At least 3 eggs worth plus the veggies, some steak, sauerkraut, orange, coffee

Meal 3

Boneless chicken thighs, roasted potatoes(cooked in coconut oil), steamed broccoli with ghee, salad with dressing, if I get to it.

Tired today and moody. Definitely PMS this time, don't feel like I accomplished much today but managed to eat fairly well.

Meal 1

3 eggs fried in coconut oil

Meal 2

Shrimp, steamed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, summer squash, zucchini, carrots), sauerkraut, lemon-garlic mayo

Meal 3

Tuna cakes with tartar sauce

Dairy reintro tomorrow!

Dairy day

Meal 1

Eggs scrambled in coconut oil with broccoli and onion, coffee

Meal 2

A few bites of left over breakfast, Fage full-fat plain Greek yogurt with some frozen strawberries, Epic bar, coconut flakes

Latte

Meal 3

Chili with cheese and sour cream, avocado, salad

I really should not have done the dairy reintro today. I was feeling crappy and my stomach was not happy to begin with. Unfortunately I didn't realize how crummy I felt until after I'd licked the yogurt spoon while packing lunch. But since I'd already done that and had my meals all planned out I decided to go ahead.

I generally get cramps and some digestive upset on the first day of my period. Today did not seem to be any worse than an average cycle day 1. That surprised me. I really thought that dairy was the culprit behind previous digestive troubles. I can't be 100% sure that dairy is not behind how I feel today, so I'll have to try it again in a couple of weeks. But it gives me hope that I might be able to enjoy some dairy once in a while without paying too great a price. We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

If you can even squeeze in a little dairy, it will make life easier.  Or so I think, being on the absolutely none side of the no-dairy range.  

And I note that you mention both PMS and having a wife.  Which leads me to make certain assumptions about you and your gender.  To which I will say:  Isn't it cool to be able to say "wife"?  

ThyPeace, got the toaster oven once, but had to return it.  (And you're probably too young to get that joke.)

Not feeling much like writing, but at least want to jot down my food for the past two days.

Yesterday

Meal 1 didn't give myself enough time before leaving for work so I grabbed an Epic bar and a banana

Meal 2

3 eggs, fried in coconut oil

Tuna, garlic stuffed olives

Meal 3

Chili with guacamole

Today

Meal 1

3 hard boiled eggs, orange

Meal 2

Salad -serving bowl full of mixed greens, ⅓large tomato, cucumbers dressing made of mayo, guacamole and vinegar, palm sized serving of steak

Meal 3

Lemon-garlic pork chops, sweet potatoes, frozen veggies with ghee.

And yes, I'm still hopeful about being able to have some dairy occasionally. I was pretty tired yesterday so probably not an everyday thing... definitely not every meal. Maybe I'll be able to narrow down the list of types of dairy that are more acceptable (yogurt, perhaps)... We'll see...

And yes, ThyPeace, it is cool to be able to say "wife."

Meal 1

3 eggs fried in ghee, toast

Meal 2

Tuna sandwich, ½tomato, garlic stuffed olives, pickles

Meal 3

Pot roast, carrots, onions, egg noodles with ghee, toast (very late meal)

Okay, we did it! Whole30 all the way through including reintros as laid out in the book! That is certainly an accomplishment for us!!

But.... now comes the really hard part. How to take what we've learned and make it stick? How do we not come completely unglued after choosing to partake in a treat? How do I prevent myself from just yo-yo-ing back to my pre-whole30 weight and general state of health?

Taking the time to post almost every day certainly has been helping. Having a plan to get through mid-April feels like I'm in control. Thinking ahead beyond that already is a really good idea as well. I know we are having out-of-town guests for most of the last week in April. I'm really nervous about that. They eat crap! I mean, I'm sure they'll eat what I feed them but also, I don't know if I can afford to feed and additional 5 people, including 3 teenage boys, the way we eat. I can barely afford to feed the 5 of us this way! So, I know I'll have to compromise that week, but again don't want it to send us into a downward spiral. These are some of my concerns, but I'm so determined to make permanent changes this time!

So, in the next few weeks we'll eat on plan....mostly. Maybe some high quality, but not totally compliant bacon, or a glass of wine, or a bit if catsup on a burger. But still staying away from added sweeteners. Oh, right, I do have that dinner at my boss's house on Saturday. I'll do my best, but that will almost certainly have some off plan food. We'll eat something before we go so we're not starving and make the best choices we can.

One thing I'm a little concerned with is that none of the reintros really seemed to have significant effects. Of course I'll keep watching through the next couple of days for gluten reactions.... today I do feel somewhat congested and had some cravings this morning for toast and jam. I really expected to have a migraine today especially considering the amount of gluten I consumed yesterday. It may be too early to rule that out though. I'll just have to make sure to stay aware of how I feel when I do choose to eat something of plan and decide what is truly worth it as I go.

Still tracking food for now.

Meal 1

3 eggs fried in ghee, black coffee

Meal 2

2 chicken/apple sausages, mixed veggies sauteed in ghee (pan scraped to get the fat on my plate), coleslaw, mustard

Meal 3

Leftover pot roast and carrots with baked potato and ghee.

Still plugging along. Woke up with a bit of a headache this morning, but it seems to have passed with no medication. I do still feel a bit congested, but one of the 6 year olds has a cold so possibly I'm getting it too.

Food yesterday

Meal 1

3 eggs fried in ghee with ~2 cups mixed veggies with ghee/coconut oil

Meal 2

Pot roast, carrots, baked potato with ghee

Pumpkin seeds, 2 dates, something else snack-y while preparing dinner

Meal 3

Taco meat with onions on serving bowl full of mixed greens with tomatoes and cucumbers, mayo based dressing, black olives, guacamole (it surprises me how satisfying this is even while watching the kids eat traditional tacos)

Apple and coconut butter

Today

Meal 1

3 eggs fried in coconut oil, 2+ cups mixed veggies with ghee

Meal 2

Shrimp, cocktail sauce (?) maybe, broccoli, apple or orange

Meal 3

Tuna cakes (assuming I can find my whole30 cookbook!), tartar sauce, roasted cauliflower, coleslaw

Well, I did not have cocktail sauce with my shrimp yesterday, I checked out the ingredients and just couldn't justify eating that crap. Plus, I wasn't super hungry for lunch so I just had the shrimp and a baked potato with ghee. I'm wondering if I'm eating too many starchy veggies, but I'm still feeling good and losing weight so I guess I won't worry about it for now. Also, I didn't find my whole30 book but apparently I've made the salmon cakes often enough that I didn't really need it!

Tonight's the night we have dinner at my boss's house. Tomorrow we go back to 100% compliant until Easter. I'm finding myself fighting pre-whole30 thoughts of "well, I know I'm eating off plan tonight, I might as well eat what I want today." So far so good... I did have a taste of peanut butter and had butter on my potato but I didn't have sour cream or cheese, or just have an apple with peanut butter for breakfast. Just have to keep on track. Here's the plan.

Meal 1

Tuna cakes, mayo, baked potato, butter, black coffee

Meal 2

Taco meat, veggies, coleslaw

Meal 3

I have no idea... But for the kids and my brother and sister in law I think I'm going to make a fritata with bacon and broccoli or greens with roasted sweet potatoes, and cauliflower.... Hoping there will be leftovers for breakfast.

That sounds like a pretty delicious Meal 3!  And as for making it stick, well, my own experience was that it took a whole year of observing to figure out which treats and special occasions were "worth it" and which ones weren't.  I think regular observation of how you feel on the short and long term can help a lot.  And really noticing the taste of food.  For example, chocolate chip cookies aren't "worth it" for me.  But the molasses spice cookies that DH makes for Thanksgiving dessert every year?  Worth it.  It's really good to know that ahead of time, because then I'm far less tempted by the random cookie that's available at a lunch or work occasion.  I've had the good stuff -- why suffer for anything less?

ThyPeace, and DH's Italian Wedding Cake.  Which was also our wedding cake.  Once a year?  Worth it. 

So, it's been just over a week since I last posted. Dinner at my boss's house was delicious and not too horribly "bad." Since then I've done a bit more exploring with off-plan foods. But I feel myself starting to slip down the slope. On Friday I indulged in a few different things... not sure I'll even remember everything but I know I had a mini muffin (homemade by a fellow parent), a chocolate peanut butter no bake cookie (also homemade), and a smoked butterscotch latte. Later that evening I get into a dark chocolate and candied ginger bar. Then yesterday I had more chocolate and trail mix with peanuts. Today I've been craving more stuff, like ice cream, but so far have only given into the trail mix. I was also up until 3:00 (which translated into 4:00 because of DST) working on three jester costumes for the boys school play this week. So I'm totally beat and stressed out because I'm not done with them and I have a lot of work-work to do with holy week fast approaching. So, it's time to reign it in before things get totally out-of-hand. I can't let my stress level become an excuse to eat what I want, in fact I need to do the opposite. I'll post my food for a few days in the hopes of stopping the slide. I have noticed that I'm really thinking about the off-plan things I'm eating and deciding that they are worth it. I'm becoming more discerning about what I put in my body and if it's something that is going to have an adverse effect then I'm just not going to do it if it's going to just be "okay" or even "good."

Today

Meal 1

3 eggs fried in coconut oil, apple, black coffee

Meal 2

Trail mix, chicken thigh, asparagus with ghee

Meal 3

Sloppy Joe meat, mixed veggies with butter, sweet potato

Meal 1

3 eggs scrambled with onions

Meal 2 didn't really happen, just a bunch of snacks, and not the best choices by far. On the plus side, I was so hungry that I was considering doing somewhere for an ice cream cone or going to KFC so compared to that at least my choices were somewhat better.

Oatmeal "breakfast bar", epic bar, Larabar, coffee (was going to be a latte but just black coffee instead)

Meal 3

Nachos

Not in the mood to say much else. I need some sleep...just don't know when that's going to happen, the kids costumes have to be finished tonight for dress rehearsal tomorrow. It's going to be a late one. Hopefully I don't get interrupted again tonight.

Archived