Starting March 1st!

ALJamison

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started yesterday as well. I think the no snacking and limit fruit to 2 a day will be the hardest for me. I am not a terrible eater at all, cook most meals at home and eat lots of fruits and veggies as it is. I am not a vegetarian, but before this I used to eat I would say 80% of my meals vegetarian so adding protein to each meal will also be challenging. 

Hi all! I'm new to this whole thing and started my first Whole30 yesterday! I have some coworkers around me to be my support network, but will likely be reaching out for tips/suggestions/questions as well throughout March! Since this is my first time on it (and a bunch of my friends/family keep asking about it) I decided to blog about my experience here: http://backtowholefood.weebly.com/. Hoping that helps keep me on track... :)

Hi all,

I started my first whole30 yesterday. I'm a mother of 2 and full-time graduate student, and I've really let self-care take a major backseat. After being put on blood pressure lowering medication (I'm 34!) and dealing with zero energy, motivation and lots of negative emotions,  I decided it was time to make some serious changes.

Though the whole30, I hope to lower my blood pressure, improve my mood, and prove to myself that I can do "hard" things.

My husband is not doing the whole30 and neither are my kids (4 and 2), so I think it's going to be a challenge to stay motivated, but I really want to make this change for myself. The other (maybe even bigger) challenge is that I hate to cook!

As far as triggers, I definitely fall into the 'eat as reward' category, and the eat when board/sitting around, so my other goals are to walk at least 10,000 steps everyday - keep more body moving and my mind off food!

I imagine I'll be coming back here for support often.

So far so good!

Best,

Amanda

I'm starting March 1st too! I have three little boys (5.5, 4, and 14 months) who will not be making this easy for me. I'm going to be faced with a couple of difficult challenges to stay on plan when my kids start weekend baseball, my dad's family birthday dinner, and Easter come around (so much sugar! it's everywhere!). I really want to be healthier and not HAVE to have a bunch of coffee in the morning to get me going. I'll be trying to build an exercise routine to support my new lifestyle as well. While I'm not focusing on weight-loss, I'm going to do a weigh-in/measurements tomorrow to get a starting point. And go shopping for FOOD!

It sounds like you've got a lot on your plate - three young boys is a lot!

I hear you on the Easter thing (I love cadbury eggs...), and my kids have two birthday parties in one weekend (days 11 and 12 the days where people fall off the most - of course!). One of them is going to have pie from my favorite place, and I'm already preparing myself mentally for these sugar-heavy events!

I started March 1st, also!  The hardest part is getting my family to understand just how exact I have to be with every ingredient.  My husband has offered to make dinner, but then I see him add Brags and mayo.  And, he keeps offering me bites of dessert!  Last night, I had to leave the table and go for a walk.  My mouth was watering watching everyone eat ice cream.

I followed the pre-workout and post-workout meal suggestion yesterday and I really saw a difference in my workout.  I'm looking forward to feeling better!

Good luck, everyone!

Day2- so far the hardest part for me, by far, is eating this much food/this often. I never eat 3 meals and often eat just once during the day. So it is a big change for me to feel like I'm constantly shoveling food. So far I feel pretty good. Definitely feel so much better after meals because my stomach doesn't feel gross. 

Hi, I'm on day 2 of my first Whole 30. I eat more sugar than anyone can possibly imagine, and am also an emotional eater. I've managed ok without sugar the last 2 days but I haven't been very hungry or eaten very much. I'm very tired and have a headache, and will probably be going to bed around 8pm! 

I'm glad there are other people to chat to who are going through the same thing. I haven't weighed or measured myself as I'm more focused on slaying the sugar dragon and feeling better. 

Happy Day 2!  I've completed 2 whole 30's and put together some thoughts that I hope may be helpful for some of you first-timers:

It really does make a difference to have, as the guidelines say, a couple of ‘go-to’ meals that you can and will eat in a pinch.  For me this was hamburger patties in the freezer with a salad, scrambled eggs with sautéed veggies, any protein on top of a bowl of vegetables.  Figure out your go to meals.

After the first 5-6 days IT GETS MUCH EASIER.  It just does.  Your body says “oh, okay, this is what we’re doing.”

Managing the no alcohol, for me, is the toughest part.  I’ve learned that if I can distract myself between 6-8 pm I get over the craving hump.  This is really true on the weekends.  I’ve gone grocery shopping at 7 pm on a Saturday night, just to get through that time period.  I’ve gone to a movie then also.  It works for me.  At around 8 or 8:30,  I just say to myself, what was the big deal?  

I’ve derailed an attempted Whole 30 before because I got stressed out (at my teenage son, who can really stress me out!) and had a drink.  What I’ve learned is that the remorse and loathing I feel for myself for giving in to the triggers to drink is so much worse than the fleeting pleasure I get from having that glass of wine or martini.  Plus, when I wake up the next morning and I’ve slept well and I immediately think “I did it!” – it is SO worth it.

I’ve discovered the joy of avocadoes.  If I include a third or half avocado with my meal, I’m good to go until the next meal.  They take me far, satiety speaking.

Stick with it!  The feeling of accomplishment and pride I’ve felt at the end of both my two completed W30s is unlike anything I’ve ever felt.  You become your own biggest fan, and that is priceless. 

Compliant soup for breakfast is a convenient, beautiful thing.

Again, good luck!  You can do it!

Day2- so far the hardest part for me, by far, is eating this much food/this often. I never eat 3 meals and often eat just once during the day. So it is a big change for me to feel like I'm constantly shoveling food. So far I feel pretty good. Definitely feel so much better after meals because my stomach doesn't feel gross. 

It really does feel like a lot of food, however I learned the hard way that you really do need to eat all three meals. I slipped and failed during my first attempt on day #14 and I think it was because I never ate all three meals and therefore my cravings and mental battle never got easier. :(

Hi, I'm on day 2 of my first Whole 30. I eat more sugar than anyone can possibly imagine, and am also an emotional eater. I've managed ok without sugar the last 2 days but I haven't been very hungry or eaten very much. I'm very tired and have a headache, and will probably be going to bed around 8pm! 

I'm glad there are other people to chat to who are going through the same thing. I haven't weighed or measured myself as I'm more focused on slaying the sugar dragon and feeling better. 

Huge emotional eater, right here with you!! We can do this!!

So, two days in (well, three, I went ahead and started on Monday), and I feel okay.  Some crankiness, definitely some sugar cravings, but I'm staying strong.  I made some No Fuss Salmon Cakes tonight, and they smell delicious!  And I think the Protein Salad is going to be a staple in my diet.  My first batch of mayo turned out perfect!  I'm taking that as a good sign!   :lol:

Whoa tired today.

Mid-afternoon I wanted to drown in cheese and chocolate. I considered quitting at least 7 times but I just kept drinking water and I ate a handful of walnuts.

I am very surprised that I did not crave a coke today. Coke is what got me into this sugar addiction mess and so far it has not been a temptation. Hopefully that keeps up. 

For dinner I had a burger, mayo, and tomato with roasted butternut squash, cauliflower, and asparagus. All cravings are gone, glad I was strong.

Questions

Has anyone tried mushroom tops for burger buns? That looked so strange to me. Is it worth it?

I was surprised to get cravings even though my belly was full - is that usual?

Questions

Has anyone tried mushroom tops for burger buns? That looked so strange to me. Is it worth it?

I was surprised to get cravings even though my belly was full - is that usual?

I personally believe that cravings are all a mental game. Therefore even if your tummy is full, you mind and emotions still want that chocolate. Cravings are a killer for me!!

Currently on nights and our lovely doctor brought in a MASSIVE chocolate cake and I swear it's talking to me *LOL*  So far, so good...I told my coworkers about my commitment and they have all been absolutely lovely, and no one has even offered me the cake since (mind you, the cake is still talking all on its own *grin*)

Day 2 went well but the headache has definitely started (maybe that's just because it's 3 a.m.??)...other than that, I'm feeling ok!!  If memory serves me correctly (I did a whole 9 before), it gets MUCH worse than this...

Love reading everyone's updates - helps to know we're not in the boat alone! :)

Hello! Started March 1st like I planned. This is something I have wanted to do for a long time but didn't have the nerve. So far so good. Kind of prepared myself a couple of weeks before so it wasn't such a shock. My concerns mainly focus on shopping, money, cooking, prepping and not getting tired of eating the same things. I cannot eat eggs everyday for breakfast and sometimes I don't eat enough in one sitting, so I do snack but approved vegetables, fruit, a meatball here and there. I have a mega stressful job, on my feet all day, running around so on the clock mealtime is sometimes non existent. Have to make this work to fit my life otherwise I 'aint gonna do it. 

Hello Day 2 for me. 

So far so good. I just think all the time about food and new recipes. Since my interrupted whole30 in january, I sleep better and take time on morning to have breakfast. This really changes my life :)

Just finishing day 3, which hasn't been as hard, cravings-wise, as the first two days. Evenings are tough, as I really crave that before-bedtime snack, but I seem to sleep better when I stop eating a few hours before going to bed. I wear an UP band to track my activity/sleep and apparently the first two nights I had more "deep sleep" than "light sleep" - hope it continues!

Questions

I was surprised to get cravings even though my belly was full - is that usuaI?

Same here! Our bodies are still wanting that sugar. Glad to know I'm not the only one! ;)

Currently on nights .......

These are killing me!! I feel like crap and have horrid cravings as it is on night shifts. Now to be annoyed with life, stressed, working nights and hungry.... all I can think about are the girl scout cookies my coworker has sitting behind me.

UUUHHHGGG!!

1/10 of the way there!!!

Okay just a few hours until bed and I made it. I did not have as bad cravings as yesterday and when I did have a craving it passed pretty quickly. I am waiting for the other shoe to drop though - and I don't like that feeling. 

I don't know how you night shift girls are doing it. I am exhausted and I am not even working nights. If you guys can do - so can I. Good job ladies.

Just remember Girl Scout Cookies are not all that good anyway...

Day 3....made a sausage and sweet potato quiche. Was soooooooo good. Brought a delicious piece to eat tonight, whenever the snacks came out. So far it definitely helped.

Also, am not sure if I was just so super exhausted or if its a benefit already, but ny sleep today (all 5 hrs of it) felt more restful than in a long time...and i only remember waking up twice in that stretch (which is great for me lately)...

Here's to day 4!! :)

Also, am not sure if I was just so super exhausted or if its a benefit already, but ny sleep today (all 5 hrs of it) felt more restful than in a long time...and i only remember waking up twice in that stretch (which is great for me lately)...

Here's to day 4!! :)

My kids are in year round school, so they get random 3 week breaks throughout the school year. Right now happens to be one of those breaks. So today I slept for about 3 hours before they woke me up arguing over chores and fruit! Then of course I couldn't go back to sleep. So I layed in bed cursing the day I had children. Okay not really, but kinda! LOL

Day 3 for me. 

I dreamt of food all night long. I was attending a conference, and there was a meet buffet (never seen that before in my life). 

I hope I will be less food obsessed in the future. :)

Have a nice day !

Archived