Starting March 1st!

ALJamison

Before Whole30 if I was tired I'd end up eating almost exclusively refined carbs. 

Preach. I am really really going to try and keep Whole 30 approved foods in heavy rotation in my house, and try not to buy the not so good stuff.

I am actually really looking forward to April 1st. We are going to do dress up date night and go to a nice restaurant to celebrate. Best part? This restaurant is known for local and organic.

Currently obsessing over any vegetable roasted. and Apples on salads with a squeezed lemon for dressing.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh, being ill and staying on program would be hard! I hope you feel better soon! Today I am half way, and the way my pants feel on me now far outweighs the huge round of Irish soda bread and butter that is in the work place kitchen right now....baked by an amazing baker we have on staff!  :rolleyes:

Couple of new things I have tried: This past week I made some green Thai chicken curry with potatoes, fresh green beans, carrots and onions and had that over cauliflower "rice". I couldn't eat a serving I usually eat because the "rice" makes the dish very filling. But the taste of the spices were so great, and the coconut milk made the dish rich and satisfying.

I am a pizza junkie. That is the ONE food I really miss, so we made Italian sausage stuffed red peppers for dinner last night and the tomatoes, garlic and onions along with the spices satisfied my pizza craving. I had a salad with balsamic, EVOO and kalamata olives, only missing the red wine!

It has been very cold and rainy here in the PNW so salads have not been on the menu as much as they should. I make a pot of soup each Sunday that is my go-to comfort food before dinner and for work lunches. Last Sunday I made Mexican chicken soup and put cilantro and mashed avocado on top for richness. Usually it would be cheese and tortilla chips!

Lately I have been making my own apple sauce, easy to do, and I keep it chunky, then put cinnamon on top and sprinkle with a few nuts for a "treat".

Sharing food ideas always helps, this is where I learned about cauliflower rice. We are half way through March! I hope everyone is doing well, and let's do this!

The Thai green curry sounds good. I've ordered some of the Red Boat fish sauce and looking forward to trying it. 

I've having the broccoli soup on nomnompaleo with a bit of pancetta for lunch - gorgeous.

I'm eating too many dates. I cut one up to mix with cacao for a drink and ended up snacking on them, but I think I've started depending on them for a sugar hit. I'm finding it really hard to quit which is ridiculous - I'm doing well with all the other restrictions but I know that dates are firing up the sugar dragon.  I woke up today thinking that I wouldn't have any today and I've had a handful already. 

Hope everyone is having a good Saturday. 

I'm eating too many dates. I cut one up to mix with cacao for a drink and ended up snacking on them, but I think I've started depending on them for a sugar hit. I'm finding it really hard to quit which is ridiculous - I'm doing well with all the other restrictions but I know that dates are firing up the sugar dragon.  I woke up today thinking that I wouldn't have any today and I've had a handful already. 

Hope everyone is having a good Saturday. 

Get them out of your house!!! That is my best suggestion!

Almost ¾ thru this!  Hope everyone is hanging in there! 

I hit the pillow at 10-ish and sleep straight thru the night until 6-ish.  This alone makes it all SO worth it. 

I impulsively purchased the Nom Nom Paleo app ($5.99, I think this is the first app I've ever actually spent money on) and have been very pleasantly surprised at how diverse and functional it is.  Well worth six bucks.  

Today I'm making more mayo (I add a good amount of dry mustard) and a butternut squash soup.  I really like having a soup handy as a veggie option, so easy.

Happy Sunday. 

Hello everyone! Just wanted to stop by and check in . Its been a bit since I was here. Crazy life means minimal computer time for me. I am still going strong. I cant believe that I am on day 20!!! CRAZY!!!

These days I feel as if I have lost some of my energy, i'm feeling a little disinterested and I cant stop thinking about chocolate. Despite that however I am not quitting and I will see this to the end.

I hope you are all well!!

Hello Whole 30 friends! Day 21, 3 weeks in, yipee! And I am happy, happy with how I feel so far. I don't feel like a slug (it rains a lot here) anylonger, I have some good energy, and I know it is due to just making these changes to whole foods and skipping all the packaged, preserved foods we usually suplimented our meals with. I rarely stick my head in the pantry these days. We went food shopping today and I realized I only went down one asile, and that was for balsamic vinegar! Everything else I needed was on the outside perimeter of the store, protein, veggies, fruits...that was enlightning. These days my grocery bill isn't as big either. I'm excited to see what the end of the week brings, and I know there are some changes ages I have made that will not change, because food taste better, so why go back.I hope everyone had a great weekend, and a great week ahead...only 10 more days. I'm proud of us!

Almost ¾ thru this!  Hope everyone is hanging in there! 

I hit the pillow at 10-ish and sleep straight thru the night until 6-ish.  This alone makes it all SO worth it. 

I impulsively purchased the Nom Nom Paleo app ($5.99, I think this is the first app I've ever actually spent money on) and have been very pleasantly surprised at how diverse and functional it is.  Well worth six bucks.  

Today I'm making more mayo (I add a good amount of dry mustard) and a butternut squash soup.  I really like having a soup handy as a veggie option, so easy.

Happy Sunday.

I was just thinking about buying this app on Sunday; I have made several of her recipes. With this recommendation I'll spend the $6!

Just finishing up day 23 here! Still feeling good, though very tired because I haven't been sleeping enough these last few nights. I'm noticing that when I'm tired, my sugar cravings go through the roof. It's definitely something that I need to remain conscious of, rather than just mindlessly shoveling food into my mouth when I'm tired (even if it's on-plan food)!

We are going to Budapest this weekend and I'm hoping there's a grocery store near the flat we're renting - might want to at least cook a good breakfast and then do my best at restaurants while we're out.

I'm personally excited about being able eat a cookie in a week, though I don't want to wake up my sleeping sugar dragon! We'll see how it goes ;)

Wow, Budapest! Have a great trip! :)

Good job on finishing day 23 maggie808, I am on the same track. I have four days off now and getting together with family over the weekend. It will be a bit of a challenge, just being out of my own home and kitchen, but it is my son, and they do eat healthy, so I am not too concerned. Keeping busy without mindless snacking is my goal. Feeling terrific! I want to finish this to the end..one more week, actually.  Go March 1 Start Team! We can do this!!

OOOHHHH  Budapest!!! :wub:  :wub:   My hubby and I did a week there in August of last year and it's very close to my favourite European trip so far!!  I hope you have a blast!

Can't believe we're almost done! I feel absolutely great but am definitely losing interest!  I plan to stick this out (obviously, why quit now) but am looking forward to slowly reintroducing things and HOPEFULLY not having any reactions *grin*  I'm not worried about the grain at all...I miss my dairy BIG TIME, and sweets (but plan on definitely trying to do some paleo-compliant stuff instead of the normal junk).  I'm also looking forward to doing measurements, as I feel like I've changed and want to know "how much"... ;)

big takeaway so far is the ability to say no.  I have never been THIS GOOD with will power before.  I definitely still have the desire to eat the non-compliant foods (when we're out and at functions where it's displayed) but it's been so much easier to say no than I ever dreamed.  My taste buds are sooooooo changed as well, makes me wonder what I'm going to think of the stuff when I try it again.  I had fruit salad over the weekend and it was AMAZING...felt like I was eating the most delectable dessert ever!!

Here's to our final 6 days! :D

I like that KrysR, the power we've gained to say no, and make better choices. I feel like that as well. My taste buds have changed, and now I know what REAL food taste like, and I like it! I like the inches i have lost, i never want to go back to all i have eliminated. Im not sure what the culprit is, dairy, grains, legumes, sugar....we'll see. Most missed for me is pizza, but now when and if I do have it, it will be of higher quality, not the junky kind I had been hooked on. I'm thinking, chicken, feta, Greek olive...oh, and, I could sure enjoy a glass of lovely chard along with that! Best on this final week!

Another big realization: How GOOD food fuels you. I had a really good lunch, chicken, avocado, homemade salsa, cabbage, but about a half an hour ago, fatigue set in. I just ate a hard boiled egg, glass of water, and an apple, and I am good to go! way better than the sugar rush and diet coke I used to grab for!

Thanks Judip and KrysR! I'm so glad you liked Budapest, KrysR - I'm so excited to explore it! :D

I agree with you JudiP on how our tastebuds have changed. A plain old apple tastes like candy to me now, as do sweet potatoes. It's amazing how happy and satisfied you can feel with "real" food!

I'm still dealing with a bit of food boredom, but am trying to counteract that by trying new recipes. Has anyone started to think about their reintroduction strategy yet? Ideally I'd like to go for the slow roll, because I'm loving the stable energy/better mood/better sleep that the Whole30 gives me, but I might like to introduce some legumes fairly soon. I don't miss alcohol at all, though, which surprises me.

Home stretch, ladies! :)

I'm surprised at the relative ease with which I've avoided the sort of junk that I usually have a real weakness for. Or when I've thought I'd like to join in with eating something, I've waited for a bit and managed to avoid it.

Where I've not done so well is turning instead to dates, nuts and almond butter as an alternative source of sweetness or snack. Whilst they are compliant, the way I eat them has not been psychologically healthy. Ideally, I've have removed them altogether but I failed to do so. If (when!) I do another Whole30, I will remove them from the house altogether. 

My sleep has been overall better, but I've had a few nights recently of sleeping badly. I've found taking a magnesium supplement at bedtime has helped. 

My face is less puffy but I have red patches by the sides of my mouth (pretty!!). Not sure what that's about. My rings fit better. I didn't weigh or measure myself beforehand as I thought it would make me feel too sad to continue, but I feel leaner and more healthy. I'd been run down for months and now feel great. I have more energy when I'm exercising.  I'm eating more veggies than I ever have done, and enjoying them. 

I don't drink much alcohol anyway, but I'm looking forward to having a glass of wine!  Maybe some cheese. Because I know that my sugar dragon is still breathing down my neck, I'm going to be cautious about reintroducing sugary food. 

Whilst we only have a few days left, I'm quite apprehensive about Easter Sunday. We're eating at a relative's house and I suspect there won't be anything I can eat. I'm going to bring a big salad and I'll have a late breakfast - so I won't be hungry and will be able to put something on my plate. I'm going to be tempted by all the lovely Easter eggs too! It would be crazy to cave at this late stage so I'm hoping I'll be ok. 

It's lovely to read about everyone else's successes. 

Day 29 and FOOD BOREDOM has set in. I know I should eat lunch, but I am not super hungry, and everything just looks BORING. Give me another 10 minutes, I will eat something, I know I need to!

Really excited to drink a glass of wine this weekend.

It has been a really stressful week, and really really proud of myself for not falling into a bag of oreos!

Day 30 today! I am so proud of myself! I didn't eat a single Easter egg which for me is a huge achievement. I'm sleeping well, have more energy than I have for ages, and love feeling that I have more control over myself and my life. I'm planning to continue avoiding refined carbs and in particular chocolate, as I find it difficult to be moderate about them,  but other things I will re-introduce slowly. 

I hadn't realised how much of my day and thoughts were spent on unhealthy food. Hurtling from one craving/crash to the next is more time-consuming than I knew! I've got more headspace. I had an upsetting day yesterday and instead of sealing the deal by eating a load of rubbish, I felt sad for a while and then things just kind of resolved themselves. I didn't look for an answer or comfort, just let things settle. 

Well done everyone!

Happy Day 30 you guys!!

I too have learned so much over these past 30 days, though I had a bit of a tough time in Budapest this past weekend. I was very careful about everything I ate, and packed a good amount of food to eat while there and spoke to the waiters in restaurants about what I could & couldn't have. Unfortunately, either something I ate Sunday night was bad or I had a reaction to some kind of sauce/oil that the waiters didn't mention, and I felt horribly sick on Monday and part of Tuesday. I was pretty bummed because I'd been feeling so good up to then! Feeling much better today and everything seems to be more or less back on track, but I'm pretty content eating this way and am gonna wait at least another 7 days or so before reintroducing anything (*coughwinecough*) ;) Congratulations to all of us, and here's to us incorporating all of this newfound insight about ourselves and our eating habits into our daily lives!

How inspiring it was to read everyone's comments! I especially liked yours TheMuppet, but having more "headspace" because I truly understand that, I feel the same. By now I am a little on auto piolet with my go-to foods, lots of plants and proteins, not fussy. Still enjoyable. I've lost 10lbs, and gained a new understanding of me, and how much I was eating, and why (not always hunger). I feel stronger physically and emotionally and starting again April 1. I am going to have my glass of wine tonight to celebrate, but I do not have a big craving for anything else at this time. Good job, everyone! Thanks for checking in, it really helped me through the past 30 days!

I'm a few days late here due to being incredibly busy but YAAAAAAYYYY WE DID IT!!! :)  :)  I feel so incredibly great for doing this (although over Easter, same as maggie808, there must have been something strange in the restaurant-provided salad (with oil and vinegar) or the chicken I ate because I had THE WORST stomach ache within an hour of eating, to the point that I tried to "get rid" of it once we got to the hotel, to no avail!  Was in pain the entire night UGGGGH).  Really makes you realize how some things, even what we THINK are super healthy, can have hidden crap in them!!!  Soooo not good for our bodies!!

Regarding results, I lost 8 lbs, inches all over, and found a new confidence in myself to just say no to the crap.  I am really sticking to a lot of the rules, even post Whole 30.  I like the energy, I like how I never feel bloated, and I love the new taste buds.  Why go back to coffee filled with flavoured creamers when I enjoy it black?  On day 1 post whole 30, I did eat cheese with ZERO negative effects (THANK GOD)...I also may have eaten a few left-over chocolate Easter eggs :blink: ...I didn't feel anything initially but the next morning (today), woke up feeling completely exhausted.  I'm blaming the chocolate and definitely limiting that SEVERELY in the future.

I'm on my first set of nights now, post whole 30, and I have already said no to the chocolate cake they purchased for a coworkers birthday!! :)  This new will power stuff ROCKS! :wub:

Congrats to all of you, and best wishes on your journeys ahead!! 

Archived