Whole30 & Trans Start Feb 21

andiadin13

Hello!

My name is Andrew and I unofficially started the Whole30 yesterday, but chose to sign up for the Whole30 newsletter and thus will officially begin today. 

My main goal and primary motivation behind taking this challenge is to prepare my body to heal most efficiency when I have top surgery this summer. I am transgender (female-to-male) and have been on hormones for over a year. Getting chest surgery in June will be the next huge milestone in my transition, and ever since I came out, it's been my number one priority to treat my body like the temple it is!

I use to fuel myself with alcohol and drugs because I couldn't connect with the person who I saw in the mirror. I had no sense of self-care and had no healthy coping mechanisms. So much has changed since then - I have been very active, for over a year and a half now, and drug free for over three years now, which brings me to my second goal: I want to see my abs! (And sport a nice beach body when I can finally take my shirt off for the first time!)

Socrates once said, "No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training..it is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Before I die, I want to be able to experience what it's like to have used my body to its best ability, and to see myself in the best possible shape! I've been doing weight training for three times a week and intermittent fasting, which I will continue to do during the Whole30, alongside sporadic yoga and tai chi sessions, as well as going for hikes and runs.

I hope Whole30 can be a foundation for the remaining 6 months between now and the initial first month of recovery post-surgery. I am finally confident enough to live the life I want to be living and am looking forward to such an incredible journey, so meticulously crafter and well distributed by the Hartwigs! THANK YOU for creating a program which heals and nourishes so many good souls!

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the W30.  Thank you for your introductory post.  It sounds like you are ready for a long, happy and healthy life.  I have great admiration for you.  Please let us know how your are doing?

I started my W30 yesterday, Feb 23.  I've done many W30s but this time is different due to emotional/personal reasons. On November 6th, 2015 my husband lost the fight for his life. Steve had a stem cell transplant in August 2014.  He was very sick with graft vs host disease after transplant.  We did have some good times but life was mostly a battle.  Prednisone was used to treat the GVHD which caused osteoporosis which in turn caused 9 compression fractures in Steve's back and 1 fracture in his sternum.  He then developed double pneumonia.  I almost lost him at that time.  Two months later I lost the love of my life.  We  got married on Oct. 31, 2015 in his hospital bed - very sad but incredibly beautiful (6 days before he died),  Steve was my best friend, soulmate, hero and the most wonderful man a woman could wish for.  Losing Steve completely devastated me to the point that I could hardly function.  About 3 weeks after Steve died, I found out my mom has leukemia. She has been admitted to the hospital several times and is currently an inpatient at a rehab center for physical and occupational therapy.  My world is collapsing.

I need to take better care of myself.  Goodbye quest bars and diet coke. I don't need to drop weight but I do need to nourish my body properly, drink water and find some sense of peace within myself (not sure the peace is possible - I've experienced too much pain).

Sorry to hijack your thread. If you are interested, we can be buddies.  You can always P.M. me.

Wishing you the best of luck on your W30 and on all your new adventures!

Archived