Jump to content

My Whole30 Diary


Recommended Posts

I've been reading a couple other Whole30 logs and they've been so helpful to read so I thought I'd make one too. Today is day 5 for me. I've been overindulging on bad food lately and eating out too much! I cut out chocolate about 2 months ago since that was the worst offender by far. But I was just replacing it with other junk, like tortilla chips, cookies, creamy coffee and soda. I would eat ok all my main meals, but not great. 


Starting weight: 135, height is 5'7"


Day 1-4:


I can't remember everything that I ate, but it's been pretty similar every day so far:


-Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, some fruit, black coffee, water

-Snack: Banana, lots of water

-Lunch: Big salad with carrots, tomatoes, red pepper and chicken and some sparkling strawberry mineral water

-Snack: Nuts (either cashews, pistachios or almonds) and sparkling strawberry mineral water or more black coffee

-Dinner: More salad with carrots, tomatoes, pepper and chicken or salmon, potato (either sweet potato or baby rainbow potatoes), water

-Snack: More strawberry mineral water and nuts either cashews, pistachios or almonds


As I'm adjusting to this new diet, I'm really relying on the nuts - they are replacing the carby snack I would have had. This needs to stop, I'm going to keep my nuts to just once a day and will put them in little baggies after I buy them so I stick to just one serving and not handful after handful! The strawberry mineral water is replacing my soda or creamy coffee. It's pretty good, but I'm wondering if I'm drinking it too much. Maybe I'll just have that once a day too and a smaller amount. 


Exercise: I ran on day 1 and 4 around 4 miles. Day 1 I did some strength work too, I was still feeling ok. Day 2-3 I was soooo tired. Day 4 I felt super sluggish, but I met a friend for a run early morning. The fresh air and sunshine and friendship were just what I needed! 


Day 4: I definitely hit the "kill all the things" stage yesterday. I was very aware of it, so I made sure to let people around me know. My hubby was out last night and I had zero energy to put our 3 kids to bed. We ended up watching Kung Fo Panda on the couch while we ate nuts. My hubby came home to see that nobody was in bed - opps. I felt tired, cranky and my willpower was completely drained. 


Goals for day 5 (Sunday):

-just one serving of nuts 

-just one glass of mineral water, more regular water

-look-up new recipe ideas for the rest of Whole30 so I don't get bored, meal plan for the week


-finish my homework for class

-play a lot with my kids! 



- I'm so grateful to be able to afford the healthy food I'm buying. I'm not going to take this for granted.  

- I'm so grateful for the beautiful day we had yesterday, the sun was out and that always puts me in a better mood!

- I'm so grateful for the support of my husband and his understanding of my various moods and energy levels during this phase.  :)






Link to comment
Share on other sites

Day 5

Overall, I felt much, much better on Sunday than I did on Saturday. I woke-up, had some coffee and started cleaning and picking up around the house for about an hour. I spent quite a bit of time meal planning for the week and grocery shopping. In the afternoon, I went for a walk around the neighborhood with the kids while they rode their scooters. This energy lasted until 5:15pm when it abruptly stopped. I got really, really tired, a headache started and my left foot started really hurting for no apparent reason. I crashed into bed as soon as the kids were in bed at 7:50pm. I did manage to stick to just one serving of nuts yesterday, so that was a small victory. :) But I still think I need to drink more water. Maybe I should start to keep track of the ounces. 


Food log:


-6:30am - black coffee, water

-9am - 3 eggs scrambled with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, some fruit, water

-11:30am - took communion at church, not Whole 30 compliant, but it was teeny tiny

-2pm - Big salad with carrots, tomatoes, red pepper, sunflower seeds and chicken and some sparkling strawberry mineral water

-4:30pm - 1/4 cup almonds and water

-6:00pm - More salad with carrots, tomatoes, pepper, 2 eggs scrambled with olive oil, salt and pepper and 1/3 cup rainbow potatoes


Sleep: 10 hours - 8:30pm-6:30am - I was exhausted. I put the kids to bed and went right to bed myself! I don't usually sleep this much. My body must be working through something.


Exercise: nope, need to prioritize for earlier in the day when my energy levels are higher


Goals for day 6: 



-keep track of water 

-do my homework - it's due Tuesday!!! Gah!

-study 1 hr.

-make new Whole30 meal for dinner and convince my family that it is delicious

-play with my kids!



-I'm so grateful that I had more energy yesterday, this allowed me to get more things done and play with my kids.

-I'm so grateful for AmazonFresh - food at our doorstep without going to the store with 3 kids in tow is amazing!

-I'm so grateful for my children's health. I will not take this for granted. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love your blog!  You are doing great! I am going to have to look up AmazonFresh!  I don't have small kids but I will take conveniences where I can get them!  Day 2 for me, and so far so good.  But I remember my first Whole30 and Day 4 was the worst for me, so we shall see if it compares!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Day 6

Yesterday was rough. I woke-up feeling exhausted and like a cold is coming on. I looked at an EmergenC packet, which is what I normally would take when I'm starting to feel sick, but the first ingredient is some form of sugar. I craved oranges yesterday and ate 8 of them. I didn't have enough energy to make myself a big salad for lunch, so instead I just ate oranges and nuts in between breakfast and dinner. My left foot pain is still there and I'm still limping. I feel like a mess. My poor kids, I used every ounce of my energy to take care of them, but it wasn't much. What happened to all the energy I had on Sunday? 


Food log:

-6:30am - black coffee, lemon water

-9am - 3 eggs scrambled with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, apple, lemon water, more black coffee

-11am - 3 mandarin oranges

-2pm - 2 mandarin oranges, 1/4 cup almonds, lemon water

-4:45pm - 1/2 lbs. baked chicken, small potato, broccoli, water

-9pm - 2 mandarin oranges, handfuls of almonds, water


Sleep: 7:50pm-6:30am - surprisingly, I didn't wake-up from over 10.5 hours of sleep feeling rested. :( 


Goals for day 7:


-Study for my interview, it's in 10 days! 

-make a new Whole30 dinner 

-stop snacking, just eat 3 meals

-go grocery shopping

-convince everyone in my class that I am awake and alert tonight



-I'm so grateful that my husband woke-up with our 2-year-old last night and let me sleep.

-I'm so grateful for my good friends.

-I'm so grateful for my class, I look forward to it every Tuesday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Day 7

I look 4-5ish months pregnant. My stomach is very hard and round and there is no sucking this thing in. It didn't seem to matter how many times I read The Whole30 timeline, and the fact that my body was following it along pretty closely, I was still super surprised when I noticed my food baby last night.


Overall, Tuesday was much better than Monday. My strange foot pain went away just as abruptly as it started. I had pretty steady energy throughout the day. Not a lot of it, but at least there were no huge dips. I took my toddler along on some errands in the morning and felt fine. I wouldn't have had the energy to do that on Monday. I made my toddler and myself lunch and prepped dinner and afternoon snacks for the older kids once we got home. I was very proud of myself for standing upright in my kitchen and not feeling tired and foggy. I played with the big kids once they got home from school and took off for my class once hubby got home from work. I was pretty awake and alert during class which would definitely not have happened a couple days ago.


I gave up on trying to exercise during these first 2 weeks of the Whole30. I have a big interview coming up that I'm stressed about, I'm going through all these ups and downs with the Whole30 and trying to save my energy for my kids. I'll add real exercise back in on day 18. In the meantime, I'll go on walks with my kids and save my energy for them. Unless Tiger Blood comes first - then we'll see. :)


Food Log

-6:30am - coffee, water

-7:30am - 3 eggs scrambled with spinach, olive oil, salt and pepper, banana

-11am - large salad with carrots, peppers, tomatoes, olive oil and vinegar, 2 Aidell's chicken apple sausages, water

-3:30pm - 2 mandarin oranges, handful of almonds, strawberry mineral water

-6pm - Grilled Salmon with Avocado Salsa, small potato, salad with carrots, peppers, tomatoes, olive oil and vinegar

-7-9pm - sipping sparkeling strawberry mineral water throughout class



Sleep - 10:30pm-5:50am - much less than the previous 2 nights


Goals for day 8:

-play with my kids! the more energy I have, the more I want to do this.

-get some work done

-study for my interview! 9 days to go...

-go on a walk 

-lay off the mineral water



-I'm grateful for the gorgeous weather we had yesterday. Frost in the morning and bright sun all day. I'm in Seattle, so this is rare for February!

-I'm grateful that my daughter is so motherly towards my toddler and plays with him and loves on him.

-I'm grateful for discovering The Model Health Show podcast a couple days ago. Shawn's energy and outlook on life is inspiring!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Day 8

I'm looking slightly less pregnant now, but still feel a little fuller in the belly area than normal. My energy level was about the same as it was on Tuesday. I had a big dip in the early afternoon again but when I tried going to bed early, I was wide awake and hungry and then I ate way too many pistachios. Time to keep those out of the house! I also think I may be overdoing it with the olive oil. I'm going to be more careful about how much I use from now on. 


Food log:

-6:30am - black coffee, water, banana

-8:45am - 3 eggs scrambled with spinach, olive oil, salt and pepper

-1pm - large salad with wild salmon, carrots, peppers, tomatoes, 1/2 apple chopped, sunflower seeds, olive oil and vinegar

-4pm - munching on almonds and pistachios while prepping dinner

-5:30pm - Enchilada stuffed sweet potatoes, big salad with tomatoes, carrots, peppers, olive oil and balsamic vinegar

-9pm - handful and handful of pistachios (bad idea)


Sleep: 10pm-5:30am - needing less sleep that the first couple days!


Goals for day 9:

-throw rest of pistachios away

-finish IV prep questions, print out, 8 days to go...

-play outside with my kids and enjoy the beautiful weather

-do some meal planning for next week



-I'm grateful for more gorgeous weather!

-I'm grateful for AmazonPrime - yay for getting things with the click of a button and not having to drive to the store.

-I'm grateful for the woods behind our house and the sound of my neighbor's chickens. Makes me feel at peace. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Day 9

I really don't feel like I'm making much progress yet. The really rough days are over, but I feel pretty similar to how I felt before I started this program. I still have energy slumps in the afternoon and I don't feel like I've lost any weight (I know, not the main point of the program, but ya know....). I've definitely reached "The Hardest Days" and I'm still dealing with the "I just want a nap" days. I hope the energy comes soon, because I'm so tired. Where is the nap? Where is it!!!


I've been trying to read about what exactly is going on in the body during these first couple weeks as your body is adjusting to living without sugar, grains, dairy, etc. Does anyone have any interesting links to share? Is our body going into ketosis while on the Whole30? 


Food log:

6am - black coffee, water, banana

9am - 3 scrambled eggs with salt and pepper, more coffee

12pm - big salad with carrots, tomatoes, peppers, leftover beef from dinner, vinegar, sunflower seeds, mineral water, regular water

3-6pm - grazing: a few grapes, more leftover beef from dinner, mineral water

6pm - Veggie Loaded Cauli Rice with chicken mixed in, water


Sleep: 10:30pm-5:30am



-I'm grateful for my healthy, supportive parents.

-I'm grateful that my husband can run off less sleep than me.

-I'm grateful that coffee is allowed on the Whole30. Thank goodness!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Day 10

I left the house this morning thinking my breakfast would last me until I got home. I only brought a banana and water with me. I did come across some fruit, but I was pretty hungry by the time I came home for lunch. I'm going to spend some extra time prepping Whole30 lunches for next week so the morning rush with 3 kids doesn't leave me without enough time to prep my own lunch. I got my monthly visitor this morning. I wonder how that's going to affect my mood and energy level over the next few days. 


Food log:

6am - black coffee, water

8am - 3 scrambled eggs with salt and pepper

10am - banana, water

12pm - a few slices of pineapple and orange - should have been prepared for lunch before I left the house

2pm - 2 Aidells chicken and apple sausages, big bowl of salad with tomatoes, carrots, olive oil and vinegar, mineral water

3pm - black coffee, water

6pm - salmon, big salad with tomatoes, carrots, peppers, vinegar and water


Sleep: 8:30pm-5:30am with multiple interruptions by my kids


Goals for day 11:

-prepare for my interview! 7 days to go...

-figure out what to wear to my interview

-do something fun with the kids - maybe a magic show or a nature hike if the weather is nice

-meal plan for the week and order groceries online



-I'm grateful that it's Friday!!! 

-I'm grateful for my kids' teachers, they are all so awesome. 

-I'm grateful for coffee.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was doing some reading last night about becoming "fat adapted" vs. being in "ketosis". I was thinking about these two terms as interchangeable, but I knew there must be some distinction, so I read up. 


My favorite article about what fat-adaption is was from "Mark's Daily Apple". My biggest takeaway from this article is that being fat-adapted is our human body's normal metabolic state. This being sugar-adapted isn't normal! Being sugar-dependent feels really crappy. I'm always needing that next hit of sugar to get me through the next 2-4 hours of my day and if I don't get it, my energy level crashes. Being fat-adapted sounds like a great state to be in, and I'm going to work towards this now. Your body no longer relies on that hit of sugar to feel good. It can switch between burning glucose and burning fat for energy. He says some of the signs of being fat-adapted are going 3 hours without eating, steady even energy throughout the day, exercising without carb-loading and no more headaches or brain fuzziness. Sounds wonderful!


Mark also explains the difference between fat adaption and ketosis at the very bottom of the page. Ketosis is when most of your body's energy supply is coming from ketone bodies in the blood. When glycogen stores are depleted, the liver will use stored fat to break down for energy which results in a build-up of ketones in the blood. Ketones are a type of acid, and too many ketones can lead to ketoacidosis, which can be fatal. As Marks stated "A ketogenic diet tells your body that no or very little glucose is available in the environment." It can result in impaired glucose tolerance and "physiological insulin resistance", which I don't want to achieve. A lower-carb, but not "full-blown ketogenic diet", sounds like a good place to be. Now that the tough first 10 days are over, I'm planning on following the meal plan more closely and will try to become fat-adapted by the end of the program. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Day 10

I tried following the meal plan pretty closely yesterday. I wanted to know if I could go 4-5 hours between meals without snacking and without feeling hungry or snack or like I was crashing. I went a long time between breakfast and lunch (almost 6 hours) but I was sipping of coffee and water. I wonder if that counts? I was at the mall for a few hours before lunch and there was food all around me. Chocolate bars were staring at me while I waited in line to buy something, I passed a frozen yogurt store, World Wraps, a pasta restaurant, but I didn't get any mad cravings or hunger pangs. I didn't want to push myself too far, so as soon as I found what I was looking for I ran out of there. I was getting hungry, but I wasn't crashing. I'm sure the coffee and water helped a lot to fill me up. Later on that evening, my hubby and I went to Spazzos for dinner. The waitress was very patient with me while I ordered my steak plain, not cooked in butter, etc. She was wonderful. My hubby ate the whole bread basket by himself. :)


Food log:

-8am - 3 scrambled eggs with salt and pepper, large handful of spinach with balsamic vinegar, 2 small slices pineapple, water

-8-11am - sipping water and coffee with a little bit of coconut milk

-1:45pm - large salad with carrots, peppers, tomatoes and 2 Aidells chicken and apple sausages, lemon water

-6pm - Date night! First meal out on this program. We went to Spazzos and I ordered a steak and asked it to be made plain with no butter or other toppings, I asked for a plain baked potato instead of the mashed potatoes but they didn't have any, so I got a small salad with tomatoes and a side of olive oil and balsamic vinegar and some broccoli, water 

-9pm - my stomach was growling so I grabbed a handful of almonds, lemon water


Sleep: 9pm-6am with a couple visitors throughout the night (my 2-year-old and 5-year-old)


Goals for day 12:

-prepare for my interview! 6 more days...

-do my homework for my Tuesday class

-meal plan for the week

-play with my kids!



-I'm grateful for Sugar Radio, love listening to them while I'm driving.

-I'm grateful for our date night last night. After a long week, it was so nice to have time together.

-I'm grateful for my sweet 5-year-old boy. He's crazy and loud all day but loves to snuggle me at night and I know I'll miss this when it stops. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Day 12

I had 2 day 10s so I'm moving on to day 12. I seem to do fine between breakfast and lunch, but I get hungrier between lunch and dinner. Maybe I should add more protein or fat to my lunches? 


Food log:

-8:30am - 3 scrambled eggs with salt and pepper, large handful of spinach with balsamic vinegar, 2 small slices pineapple, water

-9-11am - sipping on black coffee

-1pm - large salad with carrots, peppers, tomatoes and 2 Aidells chicken and apple sausages, cantaloupe, mineral water

-4pm - apple and almonds, mineral water

-6pm - chicken, potatoes, salad with tomatoes, carrots, red pepper and balsamic vinegar, water


Sleep: 9:30pm-5:30am


Goals for day 13:

-study for my interview

-stick to 3 meals, no snacking



-I'm grateful for my daughter's sweet nature.

-I'm grateful for how well my two boys get along.

-I'm grateful for my dear friend, Silvia. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...