Hi there! I'm new to the Whole30 and need some help finalizing my meal plans. There's a ton of info and I'm a bit overwhelmed with trying to read anymore. I generally work out up to 5x a week, otherwise my job is mostly sedentary. On the days that I work out, I'm wondering what some suggestions are for Pre and Post workout meals. (I've tried looking up ideas and have been left a little uninspired and unsure). Also, I had planned to have a serving of sweet potatoes, protein (meat) and eggs with my breakfast on most mornings, in order to satiate me throughout the day since I am usually active and have a fast metabolism. Is this a good time to have sweet potatoes and eggs? And, if so, I'm assuming this will influence what I have for pre and post workout (I assume I shouldn't have too many servings of eggs, and I also don't want to eat more than one serving of sweet potatoes). Any suggestions for specific pre and post workout meals would be wonderful, as well as whether my breakfast idea is good or could be improved.

For lunch I plan to switch between compliant turkey burgers with guac and mustard, a side salad, and a serving of fruit, and an Italian sausage spaghetti squash bake with a serving of fruit. My dinner will consist of lots of veggies, salad, and a protein choice.

Is it okay to eat frozen bananas with coconut and almond butter as an after dinner snack when/if you become hungry (I often feel very hungry about 2 hours after dinner on nights I work out and find that I need more food).

• Moderators

I eat between 21 and 28 jumbo-size eggs every week, so you won't hear me say you should not eat "too many" eggs.

No to eating a frozen banana dessert after dinner. If you are hungry, eat protein, fat, and veggies. Learn from getting hungry after dinner to increase the size of your meals or, if you have long days, add a fourth meal. Also, if you are working out five days per week, you are due 5 meals per day... 3 main meals, a pre-workout meal and a post-workout meal. Do not combine these meals as that short-changes you on food.

A good pre-workout meal is a boiled egg. A good post-workout meal is roast chicken and optionally baked sweet potato. You can eat potatoes twice per day, especially if you are working out. If you want other examples of pre or post-workout choices, read through the Whole30 athletes section or google Whole30 pre-workout or Whole30 post-workout. 

Some people find that eating sweet potato at breakfast sets them up to get hungry faster. They prefer to eat sweet potatoes or any starchy veggie later in the day. I don't find a problem from eating sweet potatoes at breakfast, but I prefer them closer to bed time because I find it helps me sleep. 

Many people who depend on salads don't eat enough because they fail to appreciate that after being chewed, salad pretty much adds up to very little food. Be careful about that. Cooked veggies are the concept our meal planning template was based upon. Speaking of the meal planning template... it is critical to success. Be sure to work with it.

How much to eat

Thank you for the help! So I've been doing more research on my options, and here is what I'm running into. I'm great with eating 1-2 hard boiled eggs before my workout, and are larabars (like the cashew one) also a good pre workout, in case I need a different option. However, I get home from my workouts usually between 5-7pm (my time off from work varies and therefore so does my workout time), but always in the evening. I am honestly not a huge fan of meat in general, I do eat it and will continue to, but the idea of having chicken or meat prior to my dinner just sounds awful to me. If I come home and eat a post workout meal within 30 mins what is an option for protein and carb/fat besides meat and sweet potato- because I'm likely going to be eating those things in about an hour afterwards for my dinner/last meal of the day.

a lara bar is a terrible idea for pre-workout. You are looking for protein and fat, no carbs. An egg, a bit of fatty meat or maybe a spoonful of coconut butter or nut butter would work. Post-workout, you want protein and optional carb, even if you will have protein and carbs again for dinner. This way of eating is different from your previous habits, but it really is worth it to follow the recommendations fully for the 30 days. give it a try.

If you don't want meat in post wo, a popular option is compliant canned tuna in water. If you don't want sweet potato, choose another carb dense veg. Winter squash, potatoes, jicama, beets, carrots, parsnips and rutabaga are possible options.

Love those options! As far as the winter veggies- should they be raw or cooked? And about how much would suffice for the post workout portion?

I don't know if I missed this in all the info, but is a serving of sweet potato about what will fit in your palm?

Archived