Starting February 22, 2016

busymama07

Day 1 is tomorrow!!  I am nervous and excited all at the same time.  I am reading my book and meal planning.  I don't really feel like I have much support from my husband so that is discouraging.  I am hoping that this is what I have been looking for.  I love my HIIT exercise but just seem to be stuck.  So I am putting away the "shakes" and zoning in my whole food nutrition.  My husband was nice enough to tell his mother that I will be bringing my own food for Sunday lunches.  She unfortunately is the queen of freezer over processed food.  But think that if it is low calorie it is good for you, oh Sunday's are going to be hard.  But I refused donuts this morning and ordered a nice grilled chicken salad when we went out to lunch today with no dressing and drizzled little balsamic vinegar over my salad.

I have noticed that my hormones are all out of sorts and it has really frustrated me.  I took my measurements this morning and did one last weight in until this 30 days are up.

~Jenn

Jenn-

My husband and I are also starting tomorrow.  We are following the menu for the first 7 days outlined in The Whole 30.  We had a good time doing our prep for tomorrow.  My first attempt and homemade mayo was a flop, but I tried again and was more successful.  I have an awful time with refined carbs - especially crackers, pretzels, etc.  Looking forward to breaking this addiction.   Off to take measurements and weigh.

-Melissa

Howdy! I had to restart my first Whole30 on Friday, after learning that corn was not an allowed vegetable. Read that book and read it again! I'm new to foods and obviously didn't know enough to understand corn would be off limits. 

I started on February 1st and stayed on track without breaking a sweat. It was MUCH easier and more natural to follow than I expected. I added corn to a few dinner dishes last week and decided to read the Whole30 book again just to refresh my motivation. One tiny sentence stood out: ....corn...not allowed. Since I know this is a new lifelong way of eating, I didn't hesitate to restart my Whole30 the very next day. I'm looking forward to feeling the benefits of completing the whole 30 days :)

In my first few days, I experienced a clear mind. Something I've not encountered on previous 'diet' attempts. By my 3rd week, I had no desire to weigh myself (though I could feel I was losing water weight) and no sweet tooth/cravings. I was a bit sluggish and more exhausted than usual. The book says this is common around day 10 or 11. 

I have hormone issues so I'm sure my reaction times will vary from what the book suggests.

Jenn - don't be discouraged by your husband's lack of support. How does he view the Whole30? In his eyes, is this yet another "diet attempt"? Or does it feel like too many hoops to jump through? Keep us posted on how your first Sunday family lunch went. You're doing a great thing - it's not to be frowned upon!

Melissa - Whole30 is teaching me to cook lol I love cooking but never 'fell in love with cooking'. I watched a few Canadian cuisine cooking videos on YouTube and learned some cooking basics. My 2 favorite moments were when I zested a lemon for the first time and when I made my first batch of mayo. I couldn't BELIEVE how easy it was! And delicious! I then made my own batch of ranch - OMG SO GOOD! I prefer mine much more than any store bought. 

Good luck to you both & thanks for sharing the first step in your journey to a new way of thinking...feeling...eating...living.

Amanda

Hi!  I was rather surprised when I checked the forum this morning that someone has replied.  I have tired forums on other "health" pages and I always feel like I am just talking to myself.  Anyways, good morning!  I am getting pumped for my day, drinking my coffee with approved creamer in it and no sugar, I never thought I could do that.

Honestly, I think at first my husband thought it was just another fad diet I was trying.  But then I explained to him that it is not even close to that.  This is a reset for my body to try and figure out what gives me stomach troubles.  It seems like I have those more than I want to admit.  He has watched me follow the meal plan for 21 Day Fix, which is both good and bad but I got frustrated that first round and didn't eat as much as I should have.  But once I figured that program out fully it was much more successful but I still have stomach issues.  I have noticed that my monthly cycle has gotten much more up and down too, I basically grounded myself to my room to try and get a grip one day.  I have been easing into this Whole30 since Friday, giving my husband and daughter a taste of what the recipes will be like, so far so good.

Thanks for the support ladies!  The thought that keeps coming to my mind is, I am not saying to myself "no I can't eat that" I am saying "no, I do not eat that".  The book is right, telling yourself "can't" just makes you want to inhale the entire kitchen.  I enjoy making stuff from scratch but now I will not only be making stuff from scratch it will be so much better for me and my family!!

~Jenn  :D

I started today too!! Thanks for starting this Jen!! I always feel like I am talking to myself in past forums as well. It was nice to read someone else felt the same way. I wasn't so prepared today but I have made it through. It's only 7:00 pm and I just want to go to bed so I don't think about eating. This is the hardest time of the day for me! Good luck everyone

Hi!!  So I made it through the day!!  I realized just how many times I snack on cheese during the day, goodness!!  My daughter really liked dinner tonight, mom win!!!!  My husband is being a bit more supportive, which is really helpful.  Plus, now that he knows I am making regular food with a twist is helping too.

TerraZ - I wouldn't mind going to be myself now too.  This is the time of night I could go for some chocolate.

Maxiesemma - I am trying to go without ghee when possible.  I am a bit fan of coconut oil and I have local (Northern California) EVOO.

So how is everyone doing???  I made it through Day 2, woohoo!!!  I had a killer workout, TurboFire Fire45 Class and 21 Day Fix Lower Fix....I am exhausted!!!  I added big garden salad to go with tonights pork chops and applesauce.  That recipe was ridiculously delicious!!!  My husband and daughter really enjoyed it too, mom win!!!  Tomorrow I am making the brisket in the slow cooker, yum!!!

My husband is seeing that this is n't a crazy count your calories or container diet.  Don't get me wrong I loved using the containers for 21 Day Fix but I became obsessed with them and ended up not eating like I was suppose to.  Now exercise has become a habit and I crave it on "rest" days.  I am finally reprogramming my brain that it isn't the number on the scale it is about a lifestyle change.  I have an 8 year old daughter that I want to set that healthy example for.

It is strange to think that I am already feeling a bit better as day 2 comes to an end??

Nice work Jenn!! I have two kiddos a 4 and 7 year old. They always eat what we eat but I will tweek theirs a bit like give them rice or tonight we did tacos and they did tortillas and we did lettuce wraps.

Today was pretty good! I had a smoothie for breakfast & 2 hard boiled eggs. It's easy and fast so I can get out the door to work. For lunch I had a big cob salad from my fav salad shop I had to call to make sure their balsamic was sugar free and it was which I was stoked about!! I had a mint tea after which helped my craving for something sweet. I got home at 4:45 and was really hungry so I cooked up some whole30 approved sausages and dipped in some mustard. It was really good and needed. We had dinner an hour later which was great because I was able to eat slower and enjoy the yummy tacos. Feeling good for day 2.

Nice work Jenn!! I have two kiddos a 4 and 7 year old. They always eat what we eat but I will tweek theirs a bit like give them rice or tonight we did tacos and they did tortillas and we did lettuce wraps.

Today was pretty good! I had a smoothie for breakfast & 2 hard boiled eggs. It's easy and fast so I can get out the door to work. For lunch I had a big cob salad from my fav salad shop I had to call to make sure their balsamic was sugar free and it was which I was stoked about!! I had a mint tea after which helped my craving for something sweet. I got home at 4:45 and was really hungry so I cooked up some whole30 approved sausages and dipped in some mustard. It was really good and needed. We had dinner an hour later which was great because I was able to eat slower and enjoy the yummy tacos. Feeling good for day 2.

2 day down!!  So far the couple days we have been doing this hasn't been too hard.  I am really worried about the weekend.  I am a very social person but all my social gatherings are usually around food and alcohol.  We also do Sunday Dinner every week with my husbands family.  Its a great time, but there is always a lot of drinking.  I think Sundays will be my toughest days.  

Good luck today!  

• Moderators

I also tried starting today but I smoked cause I was so anxious. Then I discovered the ghee I bought has milk in it. Back to the drawing board. Good luck all!

All ghee has milk in it, it's made from butter, so the ingredients will list milk.  The reason ghee and clarified butter are okay on Whole30 is that you cook the butter until the milk solids separate out, and then you strain those out and throw them away, leaving just the fat, and removing the problematic stuff -- the lactose and casein that are in the milk solids. (Here's a recipe for how to make ghee, to give you a little more detail about what it entails.)

• Moderators

Smoothies are not your best option for breakfast. Here's what the Can I Have list says about them:

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

There are all kinds of things you can make ahead and grab on your way out the door if you just really don't have time to sit down and eat. Make a breakfast casserole, or egg muffins or meatballs or burger patties -- all of these can be reheated quickly, or just eaten cold. Add some vegetables -- you could keep carrots, celery, sliced bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, sliced jicama in the fridge in containers you can just grab and go, or you could make any of these salads and you'd have a few days' worth of vegetables to take with you. Add some fat -- mayo or guac or olives or sliced avocado. If you really, really wanted some fruit, you could have a serving of fruit, but many people find fruit in the morning leaves them with more hunger and cravings the rest of the day, so pay attention to that.

Good morning -  I started on Fed 20th... but since no one has a forum for that I'm going to tag on to  yours :)   Maybe I'll do a Whole 32 to finish it out with you all.   Suprisingly husband is going along, helping prep and cook and eatting compliant dinners (and mostly compliant left-overs for lunch).   I think since the food / recipies have been good so far... so that helps :).  

Good luck to all.

Nice work everyone!!!  Just finished dinner for day 3 and it was yummy!!!  Slow cooked beef with oven roasted sweet potatoes and beets with a nice big garden salad.  It was so good!!!  I was so hungry that I forgot to take a picture for my Facebook page, lol.

Today, was my workout rest day.  I am ready for day 4 tomorrow!!!

Thanks Shannon for the suggestions. It's actually not my first rodeo and I have read the "can I have list" and sometimes you just have to do what works for you. I am

Still being whole30 compliant. I understand your job as a moderator but sometimes it might be helpful if you start off by introducing yourself first and giving some positive feedback. My smoothies are mostly spinach and water and it works for me when I haven't had time to prep the weekend before.

Good morning!!  I have to admit I am beginning to feel pretty good  :).  I do not feel like I am being deprived of anything!  I am hoping because that is because I tried to be pretty healthy before starting this challenge.  These past few days without dairy have been life changing for my tummy.

Yay! Glad to see there's a collective forming. There are so many threads on this forum it's hard to establish consistent relationships  ;)

It's also great to hear everyone is doing well and seeing some changes. I restarted my Whole30 on February 19th after learning corn wasn't on the acceptable veggies list (silly me). It's still so easy and I'm finally getting a handle on grocery shopping. I couldn't quite balance my shopping with my budget. So now I spend my money at Whole Foods on meats & fish, guacamole (they make a great guac), salsa, and coconut milk. Then I buy all my veggies at the local grocery store.

Each week, I try to introduce one new food or recipe into my meals. Last week, it was the red pepper sauce with zucchini noodles and chicken. I even spiralized a butternut squash!

Anyone have tips on stretching your grocery budget? Who's tried something new in the kitchen this week as a result of Whole30?

Yummm, tacos. Have a favorite go-to taco recipe to share?

Hey Amanda,

We use the Allrecipe.com recipe.  We love it, and the kids love it too.  I use to do salads but i really like the Boston luttuce for wraps, they are a perfect size.  We use organic ground turkey or beef.  Let me know if you make it!.

"Depending on how spicy you and your family like your dishes, use as little or as much as you want."  
Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
Directions
  1. In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container

Yum!!  I need to add those tacos to my menu for next week!!!!

I must admit I am feeling odd today, my body is feeling great but mentally I am struggling.  I am finding that meals are getting easier and substituting is becoming easier too.  Last night I made zucchini noodles with roasted red pepper sauce, so good btw, with chicken sausage.

​I have started brushing my teeth after dinner to keep me from wanting to eat.  I am hoping that my day improves or I just might be grounded to my room for a nap.

TerraZ, thanks so much for sharing, I may try those this weekend!

busymama07, is there something specific on your mind or is it just cloudy/foggy/hard to focus? When I first started Whole30 (before the corn incident), I had a day or two within the first week where my mind just wasn't right. I wasn't thinking about food, but finding it hard to concentrate on any one thing. My brain felt foggy and tired. It didn't last long and I noticed a slight energy boost shortly thereafter. It was MUCH easier to focus (way better than before I started Whole30), which I attribute to eating smart.

Last night, I got a whiff of chocolate cake powder mix. It was SO specific and trust me - THERE IS NO CAKE MIX in my house! It was right before I went to bed, I just caught a slight scent that my brain immediately recognized. And of course, I thought "CAKE!". My brain thought it. My heart thought it. My belly wanted it. I read that you get strange food dreams but thought that was random. I didn't get those in my first few weeks on Whole30 and surprised they popped up last night. And NO, I'm not preggers.

I had a moment of desire last week at the grocery store. They put fresh baked bread right in front of the check out lane. So you stood there...in agony..smelling freshly baked bread. I did have a twinge inside (I loooooove bread) but was happy (and proud) of myself for the healthy veggies and organic meats in my cart. 

Who else has had any food dreams or pulls towards "cheating"?? Hope everyone is feeling some positive effects this weekend!

Archived