Day 31 and Disappointed

Rutherford

Well, the results are in.

I only lost 12 pounds the first month (also lost 13 inches).

I'm disappointed. I really thought the results would be more dramatic. I know people who lost more than 20 pounds doing this. And I only lost 12?

What's up with that? I followed this plan to the letter!

My husband lost 9 pounds.

I don't understand why so many other people I know lost more! I was so careful about everything. I just don't understand.

I'm new at this but I would be so thrilled with a 12 lb, 13" loss.  I'm in this weight loss as it seems you are too.  Have you felt better?  Please don't be disappointed.  I'd say you had awesome results.  That's more than a 2 lb loss per week.  You did great!

Hi Rutherford, and welcome.  I have to agree that your results are really good and healthy.  I'm wondering why you're so disappointed -- is it the "everyone else got a better prize" feeling, or that you want to get to your specific goals faster, or something else?

ThyPeace, took more than a year to lose 12 pounds.  Different circumstances and goals, probably, and perhaps still a useful data point.

I'd wonder how many of those people who lost 20 pounds were able to sustain that loss...  ;) 

First off this is NOT a diet. I'm sorry - it's just not, no matter how many people come here with the primary goal of losing weight this is NOT a diet. Weight loss is often a side effect of eating wholesome nutritious food for 30 days, and reducing inflammation...

Secondly 12 pounds & 13 inches in 30 days is a HUGE accomplishment.

I for one didn't lose a single pound in my first 30 days and yet here I am a year later, still eating this way & still reaping the many benefits.

What are your plans going forward?

I'd wonder how many of those people who lost 20 pounds were able to sustain that loss...  ;) 

First off this is NOT a diet. I'm sorry - it's just not, no matter how many people come here with the primary goal of losing weight this is NOT a diet. Weight loss is often a side effect of eating wholesome nutritious food for 30 days, and reducing inflammation...

Secondly 12 pounds & 13 inches in 30 days is a HUGE accomplishment.

I for one didn't lose a single pound in my first 30 days and yet here I am a year later, still eating this way & still reaping the many benefits.

What are your plans going forward?

I plan to continue this another 30 days.

I plan to continue this another 30 days.

Ok..... 

So can you identify for now the NSV's you have seen so far over the past 30 days & focus on those going forward & forget about the scale which tells you nothing of your self worth....? How were you feeling about yourself & your achievement before you saw that number? Are your clothes fitting better? Do you have more energy? Is your mood stable? How is your skin? Your hair? Your nails? Your general attitude to life? Any aches & pains to speak of....?

And if you'd like to post a few days worth of your typical food & liquid intake, indicating portion size, along with sleep, stress & activity levels we can maybe help you tweak things a little so that you can continue to see more benefits....

Please bear in mind that there are MANY aspects of life that will impact your overall results - sleep, stress, medical history, dieting history..... sometimes it just isn't possible to right the wrongs of a lifetime, or to expect your body to shed weight when it's primary goal is to heal - be gentle on yourself, and remember that you are unique - you cannot compare your results to the results of others when so many individual & personal factors are at play.

• Moderators

The most I ever lost when I started doing the Whole30 was 2 pounds. I kept going and lost 2 pounds every month for 15 months in a row until I was down 30 pounds. This meant I shifted from body fat of something around 25 percent down to 9 percent. Then, without making any changes, I stopped losing weight at 184 pounds. I've been roughly 184 pounds for going on 5 years now. 

I am worried about you. Being disappointed with losing 12 pounds suggests you will attempt to make changes in your approach in an effort to lose more. Doing so would almost certainly disrupt your hormonal rhythms, erode your health, and set you up for gaining weight. Slow weight loss works. Fast weight loss is a profit center for the diet business because it is a roller coaster and the participants get to do it over and over again because short-term processes can't sustain long-term results. Be smart and settle into this life-style change for the long term.

The most I ever lost when I started doing the Whole30 was 2 pounds. I kept going and lost 2 pounds every month for 15 months in a row until I was down 30 pounds. This meant I shifted from body fat of something around 25 percent down to 9 percent. Then, without making any changes, I stopped losing weight at 184 pounds. I've been roughly 184 pounds for going on 5 years now. 

I am worried about you. Being disappointed with losing 12 pounds suggests you will attempt to make changes in your approach in an effort to lose more. Doing so would almost certainly disrupt your hormonal rhythms, erode your health, and set you up for gaining weight. Slow weight loss works. Fast weight loss is a profit center for the diet business because it is a roller coaster and the participants get to do it over and over again because short-term processes can't sustain long-term results. Be smart and settle into this life-style change for the long term.

The only thing I had planned to change was add exercise to this. I worked a lot of overtime last month and didn't have time to exercise much.

...I was afraid doing so would cause me to put muscle on and I would gain weight.

The thing about muscle is that it is much more dense than fat and so even if a pound of each obviously weigh the same the muscle takes up much less space - PLUS even at a resting metabolic rate muscle uses more energy than fat (ie. it helps you to lose weight).

Take a look at this article posted by praxisproject (one of the other mods here) a while back...

"The wise woman builds her house, But the foolish tears it down with her own hands." --Proverbs 14:1

Sorry but I find your signature quote kinda ironic given what you're disappointed in. You completed a Whole30 and had fantastic results, yet you're tearing yourself apart over it? Be proud of yourself girl, this is a tough challenge!! Don't be hard on yourself because it wasn't the same experience others had. 

I'll repeat what others have said only for emphasis, this is not a weight loss diet. This is a nutritional reset / identify food intolerance / learn to reconnect with food diet. Take a moment to see if any of those aspects in your life have improved, like jmcbn asked. I think this could help you moving forward in the next 30 days, and might keep you from tearing your house down. 

I didn't exercise at all during this. I worked a lot of overtime and didn't have time to. Plus, I was afraid doing so would cause me to put muscle on and I would gain weight.

^^That is why the number on the scale is deceptive. 

Muscle is denser than fat, as others have said, so one pound of muscle takes up less space than one pound of fat. Also, muscle is a good thing. You're a woman, so you're not going to look like a Arnold Schwartzenegger unless you specifically eat and train for that purpose. And there would probably be some kind of additional hormones involved because women generally do not produce enough testosterone to "bulk up" like men can. 

Yes, adding muscle can cause the scale number to go up. But it can make the pants size number go down at the same time. 

I am not promoting or endorsing anything about this woman's eating plan or how she exercises, it's up to each of us to make those decisions for ourselves. But if you scroll a little less than halfway through the article, there are two pictures - the woman is 11lbs heavier on the right than on the left, but the difference is pretty amazing. Muscle is not something to be afraid of http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived