tummy troubles

dancermom

A couple of things spring to mind that may be casuing your issues, but if you could post a few days worth of your typical food intake we'd be better equipped to help you troubleshoot.

Shooting from the hip I'd comment that cruciferous veg, raw veg, and raw cruciferous veg (double whammy!) can all be culprits, as can foods high in FODMAPs. Nuts & nut-butters (and dried fruit) can also be problematic when eaten in large quantities, and seltzer can worsen an existing problem...

ETA: I'm moving this thread to the Trouble-shooting forum as it sits better there  :)

Thank you. I will say that I usually eat fruit and dried nuts in the afternoon, maybe eating too much. I still get hungry in between meals. Recently started drinking sparkling water too in the past week. So that may be the case. Here is the past two days. But for the past week my stomach has not been happy.

Yesterday: Breakfast was boiled egg, butternut squash soup and fruit, coffee

Lunch: green salad with protein and raw veggies like carrots, celery, peppers, fresh fruit and nuts

Snack: dried fruit and nuts, celery with nut butter and raisins, sparkling water

Dinner: sweet potato shepherds pie

herbal tea

Today: eggs with veggies (beets, mushrooms recently started eating, green peppers, carrots, etc.) fruit, coffee

Snack: carrots and snow peas and guac, plus more coffee (probably not a good idea for my stomach)

lunch: leftover sweet potato shepherds pie

snack: boiled egg, cashews, dried date, sparkling water

dinner: salmon, sweet potato, kale

herbal tea

Thank you. I will say that I usually eat fruit and dried nuts in the afternoon, maybe eating too much. I still get hungry in between meals. Recently started drinking sparkling water too in the past week. So that may be the case. Here is the past two days. But for the past week my stomach has not been happy.

Yesterday: Breakfast was boiled egg, butternut squash soup and fruit, coffee

Lunch: green salad with protein and raw veggies like carrots, celery, peppers, fresh fruit and nuts

Snack: dried fruit and nuts, celery with nut butter and raisins, sparkling water

Dinner: sweet potato shepherds pie

herbal tea

Today: eggs with veggies (beets, mushrooms recently started eating, green peppers, carrots, etc.) fruit, coffee

Snack: carrots and snow peas and guac, plus more coffee (probably not a good idea for my stomach)

lunch: leftover sweet potato shepherds pie

snack: boiled egg, cashews, dried date, sparkling water

dinner: salmon, sweet potato, kale

herbal tea

Ok, so I've highlighted all the high FODMAP foods for you just so as you can get an idea of what you are eating if that IS the issue. Bear in mind that with FODMAPs most people can tolerate small amounts of most foods, but when we eat high FODMAP food at each meal, or even in one meal over the course of a number of days that's when the problems start as the body is unable to absorb the sugars, which in turn leads to bloating, cramping & gas.

That said, you are eating A LOT of dried fruit & nuts. I'd probably cut those out first and see how you go and if you see little to no improvement then I'd look at removing the high FODMAPs.

You're snacking a lot which tells me you're not eating enough at your regular meals - try increasing the size of your regular meals & then you'll automatically negate the need for all that dried fruit & nuts anyway, which apart from causing digestive distress are most likely keeping your snack/sugar dragon alive, and the nuts are a poor source of fat given their omega 3:6 ratio.

Futhermore you should be aiming to go 4-5hrs between meals so that your body can learn to tap into it's fat stores as an energy source. By constantly topping up on these high fructose dried fruits (on top of the fruits you are having with your meals) you are providing your body with a constant source of energy meaning you are sabotaging your chances of becoming fat adapted. That 4-5hr window really is when the magic happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for encouraging me to stop snacking on the dried fruit and nuts, and I cut out some other FOODMAPS. It was hard giving up snacking, but I added more at meals and was fine. Within days my stomach was better. And without the snacking I finally experienced Tiger Blood!

Now I'm on day 31 and am trying some hummus. I will go by the schedule that is outlined. But where would 80% dark chocolate come in? That's one of the few things I miss.

Check ingredients on your chocolate. Sometimes for reintro you are better off trying a different brand that has less things in it. Chocolate usually has both sugar and dairy, but it can also contain a lot of other things (even gluten and soy). If possible, testing without dairy would be a good idea, as if you have a reaction to the dairy, you might think it's the chocolate and if dairy is fine but sugar is not, same thing, hard to tell.

You can make a (kind of) chocolate (NOT Whole30 compliant - for Reintroduction or Post Whole30, which is the question) with cacao and coconut oil, with a sweetener if you like (I've found a sweeter tasting coconut oil so I don't bother with sweeteners). It's very melty, so best to keep in the fridge, but perfect for Reintroduction or those who can't have dairy. Once your reintros are over, you can experiment with ingredients. Making your own is like mayo, it sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't :)

Thanks you for the chocolate info. I have some chocolate that is 80% dark. ingredients are: chocolate liquor, raw cane sugar, cocoa butter, ground vanilla beans.  I haven't tried it yet because I'm wondering if I need to separate it out with the two day wait if I do it during the reintroduction time like it's own item or not.

Archived