Contact your Supplement Manufactures!!! Accidentally ingested SOY!

I'm on Day 23 and just had a massive fail!

The herbal supplements I have been taking over the last couple of days contain soy, this was not listed as a potential additive or allergen on the ingredients!

I only discovered by looking at their website and noticing that some bottles say it doesn't contain soy and others don't. Example:

B Vitamin complex tablets are free from Gluten, lactose, nuts, shellfish, sugar, dairy, egg, fish, sesame seeds, soy. No artificial colours, flavours or preservatives.

Whereas:
Vitex 1000  free from Gluten, lactose, nuts, shellfish, dairy, egg, fish, sesame seeds. No artificial flavours

So I thought, hang on, maybe the Vitex contains Sugar, Preservative and Soy. I emailed the company, doesn't contain sugar or preservatives but does contain soy - sad face

I've only been taking them for 3 days. I'm not going to restart the whole 30 as that will just mentally crush me, and I've had some pretty significant changes.

I am planning to do another Whole 30 in a few months as I had a minor fail with some white wine vinegar that has sulphites, which I accidentally ingested a small amount of too.

I pretty disappointed, that it takes emailing the company to have to find this out.

• Moderators

What does your particular bottle say? In the US, if it contains soy, I'm pretty sure that has to be on the label somewhere because it's a major allergen. Sometimes recipes/formulas differ in different parts of the country, or they may change over time, so that one person's bottle may contain soy, and another bottle purchased somewhere else or at a different time may not, so if your bottle doesn't say it, it really may not contain it, regardless of what the website says.

(This works the other way too, of course -- if you look online and find something compliant, and then go pick it up in a store, read the label, because it may not be the same as what's on the website.)

Thanks Shannon - the bottle doesn't list Soy as an ingredient. I contacted the manufacturer to confirm, as I was confused by the two different labels.

They confirmed that it does contain soy.

I replied saying that they really should have that written on the label as it's quite a major allergen, and the difference between the types of labelling they have is quite misleading.

Unfortunately in Australian supplements don't fall under the food standards rules, and therefore they don't have to list potential allergens, which is very disappointing.  

Archived