Whole 30 newbie—can you review my meal plan?

leeleigh0829

Starting my first Whole 30 (ever!). I’ve read the book, have the cookbook, and am excited to start. Here’s my meal plan for my first week … let me know if this looks OK or off base. My work dining options are pretty limited, hence the repetitiveness during the week for work.

MONDAY

Breakfast: (2) hard-boiled eggs, banana

Lunch: Salad with greens, veggies, olives, chopped-up egg, avocado. Top w/ avocado dressing.

Dinner: Lamb meatballs, roasted brocoli

TUESDAY

Breakfast: (2) egg muffins (basically, scrambled eggs with veggies baked in muffin tin)

Lunch: Salad with greens, veggies, olives, chopped-up egg, avocado. Top w/ avocado dressing.

Dinner: Veggie soup (I make it with clarified butter, parsnips, potato, carrot, celery, leeks)

WEDNESDAY

Breakfast: (2) scrambled eggs 

Lunch: Tomato bisque; black beans mixed with lettuce, avocado, tomatos

Dinner: Roasted sweet potato, 

THURSDAY

Breakfast: (2) egg muffins (basically, scrambled eggs with veggies baked in muffin tin)

Lunch: TBD ... I posted about food I can take on the plane. Will figure this out. 

Dinner: “Fried rice” (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, W30-compliant bacon, scallions, coconut aminos)

FRIDAY

Lunch: Avocado egg salad (a few eggs mushed up with a whole avocado and lemon juice and salt)

Dinner: Grilled chicken with roasted carrots on the side

SATURDAY

Breakfast: Fruit salad (1 apple, 1 banana, 1 mandarin) plus one hard-boiled egg

Lunch: Broccoli leek soup

Dinner: Salmon steamed with kale, olives

SUNDAY

Breakfast: 

Lunch: Salad made of sliced up cucumber, radishes, hard-boiled eggs (2), smoked fish

Dinner: Beef stew

The template says 1-2 protein the size of your palm, 1-2 servings of fat the size of your thumbs, and 1-3 cups of veggies. Eggs as only protein is as many as you can hold in one hand, at least 3. Fruit once or twice a day in addition to the template, not instead of.

Every meal should be as close to this as possible, with adjustments based on your activity level and hunger response.

If you eat the meal plan you outlined exactly as it is, you would be hungry all the time. Plan to eat the template.

Have fun!!

P.S. Black beans are not allowed on W30. Sorry!

• Moderators

Have you seen the meal template? Your meal plan concerns me...

The meal template is the bare minimum that an adult human needs for nutrition...

Read the template in the link below and then replan your meals to match that and we'll take another look, okay?

OK here is a revision. Hopefully this hews closer to the template. Thanks again for that link. I'll confess I'm a bit picky (though I do love veggies, fruit, and fish) so I'm thinking I'll eat big qualities of say, the salads I propose. Tried to work in more protein as suggested. I also work out 4 times a week or so but that's it. 

MONDAY

Breakfast: (3) hard-boiled eggs, banana. coffee (black)

Lunch: Salad with greens, veggies, olives, chopped-up egg, avocado. Top w/ avocado dressing. Also have veggie soup on side (tomato bisque). 

Dinner: Lamb meatballs (two palm full), pressure cooker kale + carrots, half an avocado topped with salt/balsamic vinegar

TUESDAY

Breakfast: (2) egg muffins (basically, scrambled eggs with veggies baked in muffin tin), sliced apple, half of an avocado with salt and balsamic vinegar on top, coffee (black)

Lunch: Salad with greens, veggies, olives, chopped-up egg, avocado. Top w/ avocado dressing. Handful of almonds on side.

Dinner: Veggie soup (I make it with clarified butter, parsnips, potato, carrot, celery, leeks). Also will make salmon patties (W30 approved recipe) for my protein. Will also eat leftover carrots and kale.

WEDNESDAY

Breakfast: Almond porridge (almond meal, ground flaxseed, unsweetened coconut, coconut milk, cinnamon) with two eggs mixed in, apple, black coffee

Lunch: Tomato bisque; grilled chicken with garlicky greens on side

Dinner: Roasted sweet potato, broccoli latkes, hamburger (ground beef w/ onion, spices in olive oil)

THURSDAY

Breakfast: (2) egg muffins (basically, scrambled eggs with veggies baked in muffin tin), leftover lamb meatballs, black coffee

Lunch: TBD ... I posted about food I can take on the plane. Will figure this out. 

Dinner: “Fried rice” (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, W30-compliant bacon, scallions, coconut aminos); handful of roasted almonds, leftover kale/carrots.

FRIDAY

Breakfast: (2) egg muffins (basically, scrambled eggs with veggies baked in muffin tin), leftover salmon patty, black coffee

Lunch: Avocado egg salad (a few eggs mushed up with a whole avocado and lemon juice and salt) + three mandarins

Dinner: Grilled chicken with roasted carrots on the side, one sliced apple.

SATURDAY

Breakfast: 1 apple plus two hard-boiled eggs, salmon patty 

Lunch: Broccoli leek soup + side of grilled chicken

Dinner: Salmon steamed with kale, olives. Roasted cauliflower and broccoli on the side.

SUNDAY

Breakfast: Almond porridge (almond meal, ground flaxseed, unsweetened coconut, coconut milk, cinnamon) with two eggs mixed in.

Lunch: Salad made of sliced up cucumber, radishes, lettuce, hard-boiled eggs (3), lots of smoked fish on top.

Dinner: Beef stew with lots of veggies inside, on top of cauliflower “rice”

Sorry, some of your breakfasts need some work.

Yes, you've increased the number of eggs, but you haven't really taken on board the advice about vegetables at each meal, and about fruit not pushing the vegetables off of your plate. Eat your veggies first - if you're still hungry, then you can add in some fruit, or use berries as a garnish on a salad for instance, or add some pineapple to a curry.... Many people actually choose to not eat fruit at all as it only serves to feed their sugar dragon & those cravings keep coming...

The almond porridge would also be off limits as it replicates an old comfort food, is fat heavy, and lacks vegetables of any kind.

Your lunch on Friday again lacks veg - avocado is a fat on W30 - add in veg in place of the mandarins and you're good to go.

Third time lucky!!

• Administrators

OK here is a revision. Hopefully this hews closer to the template. Thanks again for that link. I'll confess I'm a bit picky (though I do love veggies, fruit, and fish) so I'm thinking I'll eat big qualities of say, the salads I propose. Tried to work in more protein as suggested. I also work out 4 times a week or so but that's it. 

MONDAY

Breakfast: (3) hard-boiled eggs, banana. coffee (black)

Lunch: Salad with greens, veggies, olives, chopped-up egg, avocado. Top w/ avocado dressing. Also have veggie soup on side (tomato bisque). 

Dinner: Lamb meatballs (two palm full), pressure cooker kale + carrots, half an avocado topped with salt/balsamic vinegar

TUESDAY

Breakfast: (2) egg muffins (basically, scrambled eggs with veggies baked in muffin tin), sliced apple, half of an avocado with salt and balsamic vinegar on top, coffee (black)

Lunch: Salad with greens, veggies, olives, chopped-up egg, avocado. Top w/ avocado dressing. Handful of almonds on side.

Dinner: Veggie soup (I make it with clarified butter, parsnips, potato, carrot, celery, leeks). Also will make salmon patties (W30 approved recipe) for my protein. Will also eat leftover carrots and kale.

WEDNESDAY

Breakfast: Almond porridge (almond meal, ground flaxseed, unsweetened coconut, coconut milk, cinnamon) with two eggs mixed in, apple, black coffee 

Lunch: Tomato bisque; grilled chicken with garlicky greens on side - 

Dinner: Roasted sweet potato, broccoli latkes, hamburger (ground beef w/ onion, spices in olive oil) - 

THURSDAY

Breakfast: (2) egg muffins (basically, scrambled eggs with veggies baked in muffin tin), leftover lamb meatballs, black coffee - Fat & 1-3 cups veggies

Dinner: “Fried rice” (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, W30-compliant bacon, scallions, coconut aminos); handful of roasted almonds, leftover kale/carrots. - Protein?? Bacon is a fat on Whole30

FRIDAY

Breakfast: (2) egg muffins (basically, scrambled eggs with veggies baked in muffin tin), leftover salmon patty, black coffee - need to add fat and 1-3 cups veggies

Lunch: Avocado egg salad (a few eggs mushed up with a whole avocado and lemon juice and salt) + three mandarins - VEGGIES

Dinner: Grilled chicken with roasted carrots on the side, one sliced apple. - FAT

SATURDAY

Breakfast: 1 apple plus two hard-boiled eggs, salmon patty  - need to add fat and 1-3 cups veggies

Lunch: Broccoli leek soup + side of grilled chicken - need to add fat

Dinner: Salmon steamed with kale, olives. Roasted cauliflower and broccoli on the side.

SUNDAY

Breakfast: Almond porridge (almond meal, ground flaxseed, unsweetened coconut, coconut milk, cinnamon) with two eggs mixed in. - this is completely missing the mark, template wise.  Protein, fat and veggies.  Do this, not almond porridge.

Lunch: Salad made of sliced up cucumber, radishes, lettuce, hard-boiled eggs (3), lots of smoked fish on top. - need to add fat

Dinner: Beef stew with lots of veggies inside, on top of cauliflower “rice” - need to add fat

If you are truly trying to follow the recommended meal template, you still have some work to do, unfortunately. Protein, veggies and fat at every meal.   That is 1-2 palms protein, 1-3 cups veggies (err on the higher end), 1-2 thumbs fat (or half to whole avocado or heaping handfuls olives).

I started at the bottom of your menu and worked up making suggestions.  I stopped with three days remaining.  It would be helpful for you to review all the suggestions you've received thus far and then tell us how you should revise your Monday,Tuesday and Wednesday in order to maximize your results on Whole30.

Not sure if it's helpful to anyone or not, but I made a weekly column calendar for my fridge that I laminated (things happen/change of plans), I just wrote down my dinner plans on each day of the week, for me (the rest of my family can add their own carb filled sides if they wish). So, a week in advance I'm planning my next week's meals for what works best for me. Of course things change or birthday parties pop-up and I adjust accordingly, but for me...preparation is total key. If I have to think about what I'm eating tonight I'm in trouble and either won't eat at all or eat something non-compliant, which both are just bad for my mindset right now.

Archived