Help! Undercooked pork in crock pot!

kirkor

Darn darn double darn!!

So I have an 8+ pound pork shoulder "picnic" roast ("picnic" is with the bone and skin on) ...

I put it in the crock pot around 6AM, but my crock pot's longest time is 10 hours on low, then it switches to "warm" ... I forgot to call my roommate to tell him to powercycle it and restart the heating cycle ...

so now here it is 7:30PM and it's no where NEAR done! :(

Is it safe to leave it on warm again until the a.m.?

Or am I better off putting it in the oven now and just baking it for a couple hours before bed?

We vote for the oven.   We smoke 8 lb pork shoulders for 4 hours then put in the oven around 10:00 PM and bake all through the night at 250 degrees until morning - about another 8-9 hours.  Covered with foil, of course.  Perfect.  It's difficult to sleep because the aroma is marvelous. 

I don't know if 2 hours before bed on a higher temp will be enough.   Might be tough.

We do briskets the same way.  Usually 14 lb brisket is smoked for 7 hours and baked through the night until morning.

Bake around 200-220 degrees for those.  Then we always reassess in the morning for longer time.

Based on some cursory googling, I decided to leave it in 'til morning. Of course, the posts I found about 24-hour cook times didn't include a 100-minute "warm" break, soooo ....

I'll make sure to post in a few days so you know I'm not sick from trichinosis or staph or whatever bad stuff you can get from pork  :ph34r:

We vote for the oven.   We smoke pork shoulders for 4 hours then put in the oven around 10:00 PM and bake all through the night at 250-260 degrees until morning - about another 8 hours.   Perfect.

I don't know if 2 hours before bed on a higher temp will be enough.   Might be tough.

Heheh oh well, next time maybe! :) (see above)

Heheh oh well, next time maybe! :) (see above)

Alrighty then.    You're leaving it in the crock pot...why not put in the oven on low temp covered with foil.  What if it shuts off again in the middle of the night. 

Sidenote:  We had a family reunion where the pork was undercooked and the children/elderly had to be taken to the hospital - some for stomach pumping.  It hit everyone at the same time.  People were laying on the lawn and some families were hit while driving home in the vehicle...off on the side of the road.

That would be my family.   All of us.   Not an experience I ever want to repeat.  Once in a lifetime is more than enough.  It was a 10 hour drive that turned into the reunion from hail.  :P  :P  :P 

More in kirkor's play-by-play ... so I woke up at 2:30am and was feeling restless, so I decided to go yank the roast out of the crock pot and shred it right then and there.  Ended up doing the dishes too since I didn't want to deal with the congealed grease in the morning.

Shredded beautifully but for some reason the bacon wasn't as rendered down as it has been in the past when I've done kalua pig, and also, I don't think I'll get a "picnic"-style roast again since the skin seemed kind of funky to me (and this is speaking from the perspective of a keto person as well as someone who likes pork rinds).

Best news of all is that I was able to get back to sleep for a couple hours, plus now I've got awesome pulled pork to take to lunch!

I don't think I'll get a "picnic"-style roast again since the skin seemed kind of funky to me (and this is speaking from the perspective of a keto person as well as someone who likes pork rinds).

Best news of all is that I was able to get back to sleep for a couple hours, plus now I've got awesome pulled pork to take to lunch!

I'm not a fan of any kind of skin done in the crock pot unless it's been sealed in a pan first - which I've stopped doing to save time/mess/cleaning/time - so I always just ditch the skin & add more mayo  ;) 

Glad you've got lunch sorted - I haven't been able to concentrate all day with the anticipation of your update!  :P

I'm not a fan of any kind of skin done in the crock pot unless it's been sealed in a pan first - which I've stopped doing to save time/mess/cleaning/time - so I always just ditch the skin & add more mayo  ;) 

Glad you've got lunch sorted - I haven't been able to concentrate all day with the anticipation of your update!  :P

We like a good bark on the outside.   A beautiful smoke ring and tender pork.   Bear cooks up a vinegary dipping sauce for me with zero sugars.    His buddy tried to duplicate his brisket, spent a fortune and tried to cook it like a regular beef roast.  It was tough as old leather boots.  

Hours and hours of  TLC and we make sure it's done.  

The reunion incident was catered by a hotel.  They came with their metal serving trays, placed them outside in the direct sunlight, undercooked pork and those metal trays....a deadly combo.   We  let the the Bear supervise all reunion food now.  No more food poisoning.

How much does he charge by the hour? I'm willing to pay travel....!!  :D

It's not bragging if it's true.  No one can touch that man's cooking skills.  He's from the south and he brings all of his family traditions and 'recipes' to the north. Those recipes are in his head and he's always perfecting.  He feeds the neighbors.  They rave on and on.  When that smoker is going,  you can see their smiling faces because the Bear is in his element.  They know he's going to throw the dogs a bite to the neighbors' delight.  That man of mine. :lol:   He's out there in the middle of the night stoking the fire with cherry and hickory wood. Sometimes pecan.  No one sleeps.

Lady Shanny and jmcbn,  I know you're the cream of the crop in the kitchen, too.   I know that.  You're all naturals.  Me?   Not so much.  I'm content to stand back and watch the Master at work.   I tote the wood and boil the water and dance around the smoker.bliss-smiley.gif?1292867557

Lady Shanny and jmcbn,  I know you're the cream of the crop in the kitchen, too.   I know that.   You're all naturals.  Me?   Not so much.  I'm content to stand back and watch the Master at work.   I tote the wood and boil the water and dance around the smoker.

So that's why we have all this damned rain....!!!  :o  :wacko:  :lol:

I just so happen to have a pork picnic roast in my freezer! It was on half-price sale and I couldn't resist, even though I don't know what to do with it. Mine's just 4 pounds. Lots of ideas in this discussion, but can you guys throw out a few other details? No smoker option for me. I've done the NomNom Kalua Pig and didn't care for it.  :ph34r:

Did you just put in crock pot? Marinaded? Measured "doneness" by temperature? Any veggies or herbs or other added to the pot? 

It's been frozen for 2-3 weeks while I try to figure out what to do!! This is my sign to thaw that pork baby and EAT IT! :P

We vote for the oven.   We smoke 8 lb pork shoulders for 4 hours then put in the oven around 10:00 PM and bake all through the night at 250 degrees until morning - about another 8-9 hours.  Covered with foil, of course.  Perfect.  It's difficult to sleep because the aroma is marvelous. 

We do briskets the same way.  Usually 14 lb brisket is smoked for 7 hours and baked through the night until morning.

Bake around 200-220 degrees for those.  Then we always reassess in the morning for longer time.

MeadowLily - I think you are my hero! My dear hubby has taken up smoking in the past few years, but leans toward caution when it comes to "how long" to smoke different cuts of meat. So far, he mostly does jerky (that we eat fresh or he freezes because we don't like it too tough), catfish, salmon, and smaller cuts of meat, but we have a meat CSA, and every now and then we get a fresh ham roast. I keep suggesting that he smoke it, but so far he hasn't taken the bait - his concern is making sure it's fully cooked. Now - thanks to you - I have a clue how to do this safely. Thanks so much!

MeadowLily - I think you are my hero! My dear hubby has taken up smoking in the past few years, but leans toward caution when it comes to "how long" to smoke different cuts of meat. So far, he mostly does jerky (that we eat fresh or he freezes because we don't like it too tough), catfish, salmon, and smaller cuts of meat, but we have a meat CSA, and every now and then we get a fresh ham roast. I keep suggesting that he smoke it, but so far he hasn't taken the bait - his concern is making sure it's fully cooked. Now - thanks to you - I have a clue how to do this safely. Thanks so much!

Ooooo,  how schweeet.  

large-single-grill-2.JPG

Wow! That is a serious piece of equipment!  One of my uncles has one a little smaller than that - he uses it to do pig roasts. Ours is more the hobby variety - quite a bit smaller than that, but DH's grandfather had a big smoke "shack" built of brick. He lived in a resort town on a lake,so he would run the trot-line for catfish during the week, then Thursday night start smoking the fish, and sell it to the tourists on the weekends. It was that memory that inspired DH to start smoking, though on a MUCH smaller scale.  :)

• Administrators

I just so happen to have a pork picnic roast in my freezer! It was on half-price sale and I couldn't resist, even though I don't know what to do with it. Mine's just 4 pounds. Lots of ideas in this discussion, but can you guys throw out a few other details? No smoker option for me. I've done the NomNom Kalua Pig and didn't care for it.  :ph34r:

Did you just put in crock pot? Marinaded? Measured "doneness" by temperature? Any veggies or herbs or other added to the pot? 

It's been frozen for 2-3 weeks while I try to figure out what to do!! This is my sign to thaw that pork baby and EAT IT! :P

I really like this one from Zenbelly.  Sort of "recreates" the smokiness without having a smoker.  http://zenbellycatering.com/2014/06/05/the-zenbelly-cookbook-sneak-peek-cocoa-chile-pork-shoulder/

Archived