Starting February 29th

amylou03

Hi- I have decided to commit myself to this life change. I want to eat better and feel better. I am overweight so I am doing this in hopes to drop a couple pounds. I know it is going to be a struggle but it is Mind over Matter! I have to dedicate myself to planning and preparing, The hardest part is my husband is a very picky eater so I will be making 2 dinners which sometimes can be exhausting with the dishes and clean up...  I plan on eating lots of fresh vegetables and Meat, what is your way of preparing and how often do you have to go to the grocery? I could do all my grocery shopping and stock up on the vegetables I want, but how quick do they spoil? that is going to be the hard part about preparing. I can write down a whole months worth of meal and prepare but you still have to go to the store throughout the month to get the supplies then that give you an opportunity to change you mind and give up. Any Advice?  Also do you have any good easy dinner recipes?

Welcome to the Whole30. I shop once a week. I buy frozen vegetables as well as fresh. I don't buy bagged salad mixes but I do buy spinach and chopped salad and it lasts all week. You say you are planning on eating a lot of meat and vegetables but fat is very important as well. Do you know the meal template - 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of vegetables (aim for 3) and 1-2 thumbs of fat. Plan your meals so you don't need snacks and never let fruit push veggies off your plate. There will be some trial and error at first but you want to eat enough at each meal that it last 4-5 hours. Its okay to snack if you are truly hungry (steamed fish and broccoli sounds great) or if the time between meals is longer than 4-5 hours but snacks should also have at least 2 of the meal template (protein, veggies, or fat). www.meljoulwan.com has wonderful recipes for the Whole 30 and also batch cooking methods so you can cook once and mix and match meals for the week. There is a great bunch of people and moderators to help you every step of the way.

Yay for you Amylou!  I am close to the end of my first WH30.  It is actually a WH57 but for a glitch at day 27 when I discovered that the Yogi bedtime tea I was drinking every night contained stevia leaf which is not compliant.  After a few days of still eating WH30 but taking cold medications I restarted on Feb 2nd.  (Essentially since 1/6 I have been eating WH30 compliantly except for the stevia leaf and a few cashews that I did not realize were barbecue flavor when I popped them in my mouth-husband bought what he thought were plain cashews.  He felt badly for me!)  I have found eating this way after the first week to be not at all difficult.

Here are some of my tips for you.  Like the above poster said, make sure you eat enough at each meal and follow the template.  I am not a big fruit eater so focusing on vegetables over fruit was easy for me.  I was shocked that I rarely felt hungry between meals.  Especially after all the eating I did during the holidays!  Lots of parties, company and food almost did me in!

When you start, make sure you have the essentials on hand.  I consider those to be good olive oil, coconut oil and ghee.  My husband is also NOT doing the WH30 with me but he loves to cook and is happy to eat whatever WH30 meal I make or make compliant meals himself.  (He still has his cereal and frozen waffle for breakfast each day although now he uses coconut creamer in his daily cappuccino!)  It's also good to have plenty of eggs, canned compliant tuna and salmon.  We make big pans of roasted vegetables every week and they last several meals.  Those include carrots, brussels sprouts, parsnips, butternut squash and potatoes.  Sometimes cauliflower and broccoli.  Spaghetti squash is now a staple.  It is good with meatballs and homemade sauce.  I also love cabbage and found a great braised cabbage recipe.  This will last me many meals since my hubs is not a cabbage guy.  That's fine with me!  I will salute a bunch of this leftover with other veg and serve it with a few poached eggs.  Yum!  Here is that recipe:  

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1356598429/worlds-best-braised-green-cabbage

Soups are great to have on hand.  Make and freeze in individual containers so when your husband is eating something off plan.  Friday night was pizza night at our house and I found this recipe.  Not pizza but a pretty tasty substitute!  You don't really miss the cheese with this recipe!

http://paleomg.com/almost-5-ingredient-pizza-spaghetti-pie/

There are plenty of online sites that you can access for good recipes depending on what you like.  I spend lots of time researching.  Another tip is to always have something on hand that you can prepare quickly.  For me, that is compliant Applegate hotdogs.  If I have no leftovers, I fry up a few of those and serve with an apple and some almond butter and maybe a baked potato.  Always have something you can prepare quickly and that you enjoy eating!  

I could go on forever with this!  I thought this would be hard but after the initial missteps eating things I didn't really love, I have found it to be easy.  Yes, I spend so much time prepping food and cleaning, but it is so worth it.  I feel so much better.  I'm 65 and was beginning to have so much joint pain and fatigue.  Now I can get up from sitting and move right away.  Sleeping is so much better even though I still only average 6 hours a night but they are good hours.  I'm not sure if I've lost any weight-that was also a motivator for me, but apart from weighing myself just before I restarted after day 27 of my first attempt I just don't care!  I feel like my body is slowly responding.  (note-I had lost 5 pounds after the 27 days).  My clothes seem to fit better but I'm not sure if they are any looser.  They just feel better on my body.  I will weigh myself next week when this 30 days is over but I will pick a day when I feel good about myself because I don't want it to define my WH30.

When you have NSV make sure you rejoice in them!  I was babysitting and my granddaughter wanted to make cupcakes.  So we made them along with buttercream frosting and I did not even think about licking my fingers!  You will have great moments like that.  You will be stronger than the temptations life throws at you!

Seriously, that is enough from me for now.  You will do great and find your way.  Keep us posted.

Linda

I'm also starting my first whole30 tomorrow. Did a big cook off yesterday and did a few other things today. Weight is a consideration for me but my primary focus is being healthy and improving my relationship with food.

I have found I need to buy tuna at the health food store. We have a Sprouts store and their brand is compliant. It really is a learning experience and I never knew about the allergy portion of food labels.

All the best to all of us!

Julie

Well here goes nothing!!! Best of luck -- Mind over Matter and knowing that we can live without all the unhealthy food for our bodies actually suprised we can survive with it! Really overwhelmed but I brought my book to work with me I have a feeling that taking it with me is really going to help! Thanks for all the support now let's get started- 2 boiled eggs and 1 piece if sausage for breakfast!

Well here goes nothing!!! Best of luck -- Mind over Matter and knowing that we can live without all the unhealthy food for our bodies actually suprised we can survive with it! Really overwhelmed but I brought my book to work with me I have a feeling that taking it with me is really going to help! Thanks for all the support now let's get started- 2 boiled eggs and 1 piece if sausage for breakfast!

Hey amylou - have you seen the meal template - you want to be building each of your meals to match that so you're missing out on a lot of vegetables here, as well as some added fat. Have a look at the template again and make sure your next meal isn't missing any components or you'll start to get hungry and not see the results I'm sure you are after....

For absolute optimum results you'll want to be following the rules AND the recommendations  :) 

Best of luck for the rest of the day!!

Hello all!  It's day 1 for me as well.  This is my 2nd Whole 30.  I did my first in October with great success and kept up really well through December. Plan was to eat W30 at least 90% of the time but over the past 2 months I've gotten off track.  So....it's time to reset!

Today's meals:

M1:  2 fried eggs & sweet potato hash with peppers and onions, cup of tea

M2:  1/2 pan roasted chicken breast, roasted butternut squash soup (made with coconut milk), cut up cucumber/tomatoes

M3:  Crock pot - pot roast, potatoes, carrots and an additional veggie (not sure what yet....maybe salad)

First couple of weeks are labor intensive but once you get the hang of shopping and cooking time management you'll be good to go!  My family did not do it with me so I was challenging at times to fix 2 meals but I tried to really make things that I could modify for me.  This go around I'm much more relaxed and have some good recipes under my belt!

Good luck to all!

Off to a good start. Breakfast was 2 fried eggs in coconut oil, roasted zucchini and homemade chicken sausage patty. I'm traveling today so for lunch I packed chicken Waldorf salad (chicken, home made mayo, grapes, apples and pecans) in lettuce wraps. I know the restaurant tonight is compliant as I have asked them about my favorite. Dinner is grilled lamb chops and grilled veggies. Some of my challenges will be lunch but I'm resigned to salad if necessary.

I had for lunch 2 cabbage rolls my sister in law made for me who is just finishing up her first whole 30 and lost 14 pounds in that time! Also had an apple and lots of water I have been looking through my book today religiously to get a feel for what I need to do- I've learned a few more things which helps and I think the whole process is a learning process- I do have to find something else good to drink besides water and coffee or I am going to get burnt out quick- too much water I feel gives me a headache and I feel blah! Stopping at the grocery on the way home to pick up a few more groceries that I learned today from the book that I need! Best of luck and I really enjoy this forum it is really helping me and many of you are giving great advice that is helping me! Thank You!

I started again today. This is my 3rd Whole30. I did my first one in Sept 2015. My main meals have always still been W30 compliant but I allowed unhealthy snacking on chips and sugar to undo all of my progress. So I'm totally committed to the plan and will definitely not snack in between meals. I believe I was doing it more out of a habit and boredom than hunger. I really think that once I break the mindless snacking habit that I will be very successful after the 30 days.

B - Sweet Potatoes, ground pork, spinach and ghee, tea

L - Canned chicken, avocado, spicy mustard, yellow bell pepper, few raisins, chopped walnuts and pickles

D - Almond meal coated chicken and roasted veggies

Every few days I roast veggies and cook up some lean protein so I have easy go to meals that I can throw together.

Linda C. Could you please tell me what can complaint tuna and salmon you use. I cannot find one without Soy. I started my journey yesterday and spent a good hour at the store reading labels...

Thank you in advance for your help.

Wild Planet brand tuna is compliant. I love that it's sustainably pole and line caught and hand-cut and packed in non-bpa cans. They are also non-gmo verified. I have used both the albacore and the skipjack for my protein salad - I think I prefer the flavor of the skipjack.

I started my second Whole30 today too. I did my first one in July and felt great but slowly I went back to my old habits. I'm looking forward to restarting my body and feeling great. The only difference this time is I started running last month. I run every other day so I know I need to be good about eating a small snack of protein and fat before the run then eat within 30 minutes of being done. That will be my challenge but I know I can do it.  I did a bunch of prep yesterday. I found some great freezer to slow cooker recipes and plan on doing that during the week. I forgot that I'm supposed to have some go to meals but I did get some chicken and apple sausages and I always have frozen veggies so I should be good.

M1=Kale/Spinach/Romanesco Frittata, roasted turnips, black coffee, water, banana

M2=Shrimp red curry with lots of veggies over mashed cauliflower, 5 pecans, hint sparkling water

M3=Green chili chicken over turnips, sliced avocado

I love hint water. It comes in sparkling and regular. It's a great alternative to water and I try to have one a day so I don't get bored with regular water.

Good luck!!

I'm feeling really tired today. Anyone else? I had sweet potato and sausage hash with turnips and half of a banana. I don't think I ate enough because now I'm hungry. I felt full after breakfast. I hate to snack but I might have a hard boiled egg.

I'm feeling really tired today. Anyone else? I had sweet potato and sausage hash with turnips and half of a banana. I don't think I ate enough because now I'm hungry. I felt full after breakfast. I hate to snack but I might have a hard boiled egg.

Was this breakfast?

A lot of folk find that eating fruit and/or starchy veg at breakfast sets them up for a crash later in the day, along with faux hunger (that's your body trying to get you to eat more sugar), lack of focus etc.

Also, there was no mention of fat in your breakfast - what you will have used for cooking is negligible - don't be afraid to add another source as this too will provide a steady flow of energy.

Try keeping any fruits/starches until later in the day when they will aide sleep.

In the mean time be sure to drink plenty of water - a half an ounce per pound of body weight daily being the recommendation.

Thanks for the tips. I totally forgot to have a fat. I thought the ghee in the hash was enough. I will definitely be better with adding some fat to each meal. I have some delicious compliant olives at home. My lunch has coconut milk in it so that should be enough fat. I think I'll have some diced pears tomorrow morning instead of the banana.  I thought I had to have my fruit in the morning. Should I be having fruit at lunch instead of breakfast?  

Archived