starchy/non-starchy veggies

KathyV

• Moderators

does the squash include the yellow and the zucchini type?  

No, yellow (or crookneck, or summer) squash and zucchini are not particularly starchy.

If you google particular vegetables, you can see their nutrition information, including carbs, and if you google carbs in vegetables, you can find charts that compare them.  Keep in mind that Whole30 is not intended to be particularly low carb, and the carbs you eat from sweet potatoes or winter squashes are going to be different than carbs from grains and sugars. You don't necessarily need to limit yourself to the lowest-carb vegetables. Eat a variety of starchy and non-starchy vegetables, and pay attention to how you feel. If you're feeling good, you're doing it right. If you're not, then look at what you've been eating and decide what to change, give that a try for a few weeks, and re-evaluate again, and make further changes as needed. You may find that sometimes you need more or less starchy vegetables, just depending on hormones and activity levels -- you won't necessarily be able to set an amount today that is right for you, and just keep eating that amount forever -- we're all human, and our needs change over time.

love your feed-back Shannon.  I am not looking to go all out low-carb.  I know when I need to add some in and how long I can do with out, Thanks to the Whole30 which helped me to understand how my body reacts to certain foods.  I workout 6  times a week with a little bit of everything.  I can go a few days without a lot of carbs and i eats more fats.  I find that eating more of the good fats keeps my cravings at bay (the dreaded Sugar Dragon). 

However, many root vegetables can be substituted for potatoes. Here are carb and fiber counts for various root vegetables which might be used instead of potatoes. 

Beets
  • 1 cup raw cubed (136 grams) - 9 grams of carbohydrate plus 4 grams fiber
  • 1 cup boiled slices (170 grams) - 14 grams carb, 3 grams fiber

Full Carb Profile of Beets

Rutabagas
  • 1 cup raw chopped (140 grams) - 7 grams of carbohydrate plus 4 grams fiber
  • 1 cup boiled and mashed (240 grams) - 17 grams carb, 4 grams fiber

Full Carb Profile of Rutabagas

Sweet Potatoes
  • 1 cup raw cubed (132 grams) - 23 grams of carbohydrate plus 4 grams fiber
  •  
  • 1 cup boiled and mashed (328 grams) - 50 grams carb, 8 grams fiber

Full Carb Profile of Sweet Potatoes - Includes Garnet Yams

Yam

Note: I can't ascertain what kind of yam is referred to in the database. In the US, some of what are called yam (e.g. garnet yams) are a type of sweet potato and are unrelated to what is called yams in other places. 

• 1 cup raw chopped (150 grams) - 36 grams of carbohydrate plus 6 grams fiber
  • 1 cup cooked pieces (136 grams) - 25 grams carb, 5 grams fiber
Celery Root (Celariac)
  • 1 cup raw (100 grams) - 7 grams of carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber

Full Carb Profile of Celery Root (Celeriac)

Potatoes
  • 1 cup raw cubed (150 grams) - 22 grams of carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber
  • 1 cup boiled and mashed (145 grams) - 29 grams carb, 3 grams fiber

Full Carb Profile of Potatoes

Turnips
  • 1 cup raw chopped (130 grams) - 6 grams of carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber
  • 1 cup boiled and mashed (230 grams) - 7 grams carb, 5 grams fiber
Carrots
  • 1 cup raw chopped (128 grams) - 8 grams of carbohydrate plus 4 grams fiber

Full Carb Profile of Carrots

Parsnips
  • 1 cup raw slices (133 grams) - 17 grams of carbohydrate plus 7 grams fiber
  • 1 cup boiled slices (145 grams) - 20 grams carb, 6 grams fiber

Full Carb Profile of Parsnips

However, many root vegetables can be substituted for potatoes. Here are carb and fiber counts for various root vegetables which might be used instead of potatoes. 

Beets
  • 1 cup raw cubed (136 grams) - 9 grams of carbohydrate plus 4 grams fiber
  • 1 cup boiled slices (170 grams) - 14 grams carb, 3 grams fiber

Full Carb Profile of Beets

Rutabagas
  • 1 cup raw chopped (140 grams) - 7 grams of carbohydrate plus 4 grams fiber
  • 1 cup boiled and mashed (240 grams) - 17 grams carb, 4 grams fiber

Full Carb Profile of Rutabagas

Sweet Potatoes
  • 1 cup raw cubed (132 grams) - 23 grams of carbohydrate plus 4 grams fiber
  •  
  • 1 cup boiled and mashed (328 grams) - 50 grams carb, 8 grams fiber

Full Carb Profile of Sweet Potatoes - Includes Garnet Yams

Yam

Note: I can't ascertain what kind of yam is referred to in the database. In the US, some of what are called yam (e.g. garnet yams) are a type of sweet potato and are unrelated to what is called yams in other places. 

• 1 cup raw chopped (150 grams) - 36 grams of carbohydrate plus 6 grams fiber
  • 1 cup cooked pieces (136 grams) - 25 grams carb, 5 grams fiber
Celery Root (Celariac)
  • 1 cup raw (100 grams) - 7 grams of carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber

Full Carb Profile of Celery Root (Celeriac)

Potatoes
  • 1 cup raw cubed (150 grams) - 22 grams of carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber
  • 1 cup boiled and mashed (145 grams) - 29 grams carb, 3 grams fiber

Full Carb Profile of Potatoes

Turnips
  • 1 cup raw chopped (130 grams) - 6 grams of carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber
  • 1 cup boiled and mashed (230 grams) - 7 grams carb, 5 grams fiber
Carrots
  • 1 cup raw chopped (128 grams) - 8 grams of carbohydrate plus 4 grams fiber

Full Carb Profile of Carrots

Parsnips
  • 1 cup raw slices (133 grams) - 17 grams of carbohydrate plus 7 grams fiber
  • 1 cup boiled slices (145 grams) - 20 grams carb, 6 grams fiber

Full Carb Profile of Parsnips

Thank you for the run down.  The rutabaga surprised me on how low the carbs are esp. raw.

As well as carb counts, different vegetables contain different types of fibre and nutrients. Plantains are another starchy veg and they contain a different fibre profile to some (Mel Joulwan has great recipes if you've never cooked them before).

"Yam" is possibly the most annoying veggie name, it means something different in nearly every country, sometimes multiple things in a single country :P

I have cooked plaintains before.  I do not do it often.  Frying them totally wakes up my sugar dragon, and I am in no mood to fight it.  It seems to never go away, all though it comes back to a lesser degree at times; but hard to tell how I will react.

Another thing I noticed Meadowlily, is that it appears that cooking the veggies produce more starch/carbs!?  Interesting!  Cooking must release more of the natural sugars.

As long I eat enough of the  healthy fats, it keeps me more in control.

I will continue to eat the root veggies  I just might eat some of them raw or add say a sweet potato to caulif. soup or maybe a parsnip to zucchini soup, ect....

Love ll the infor I am reading!  Thanks guys, your the best!

Actually the cooking makes the veggies smaller, so there's more in the cup :) This is why you can get such different result between cooked and raw veggies.

Eating three cups of cooked veggies is way more than one cup of salad and is much easier to digest, even though it's bigger.

Zoodles are great, either raw or cooked and lovely with simple sauces like olive oil and garlic.

I like to roast up a bunch of different root veggies and keep them in the fridge to add to things.

I like to roast up a bunch of different root veggies and keep them in the fridge to add to things.

Actually the cooking makes the veggies smaller, so there's more in the cup  :) This is why you can get such different result between cooked and raw veggies.

Eating three cups of cooked veggies is way more than one cup of salad and is much easier to digest, even though it's bigger.

Zoodles are great, either raw or cooked and lovely with simple sauces like olive oil and garlic.

like the  idea of roasting them and keeping them in the fridge for future enjoyment.

Archived