Starting March 1st

Sereana26

• Moderators

My Crossfit group was talking about Whole30 today. Looking into it right now I am thinking about starting March 1st. Any hints or tips on getting ready? Also I love the thought of people coming together to motivate each other for a common goal :)

Welcome, all of you. I'll address Doozyfit because they asked, but these tips may be helpful to others as well.

There's a bunch of links in my signature for the rules and the meal template and other stuff, if you haven't read them yet, that's a good place to start.

As far as food, many people find it helpful to do a weekly cookup, here's a week's meal plan with instructions on how that works: http://meljoulwan.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/ -- you don't have to follow this exactly, but hopefully it gives you some ideas you can adapt to foods you prefer. If you don't want to do that, do make sure every time you cook a meal, cook enough to have leftovers, so there are meals you don't actually have to cook for. You will probably get tired of being in the kitchen, and having food you can just heat up and eat will be helpful.

If you can, it's good to get non-compliant foods out of your house. When that's not possible because you live with other people, try to separate their food from yours, so you don't have to dig through their potato chips or cupcakes to get to your healthy stuff, and ask them to be considerate and not offer you your favorite non-whole30 foods for a while, or leave them out on the counter. We all think we're going to be able to resist, but you don't want to test yourself after a long, hard day at work, when you're in a bad mood and hungry.

Good luck to all of you!

Hi! I'm starting on March 1st as well. I'm definitely a bit nervous since I am the only one in my house participating. I have three boys that are 5.5, 4 and 14 months and their snacks will make it very difficult for me. My husband will eat what I cook at home, but I know he won't be into the whole plan. I want this though, and I know I can do it. It would be great to be able to check in with you all when (not "if") times get tough.

Tomorrow is Day 0. March 1st is circled on my calendar, so it's official ;)  Pre-weight and measurements will be taken (I'll post mine if you post yours!), meal planning/shopping/prepping for the first week, and maybe I'll take the dog for a walk with the kids since I want to start regular exercise as part of my new healthy lifestyle too.

Looking ahead at the upcoming 30 days, some of the biggest challenges I will face will be when my kids start baseball, my dad's birthday later in the month (family dinner), and Easter (yikes, candy). May need to read my "Why I'm doing this" list on those days!

A "Why am I doing this" list sounds like a wonderful idea! I'm going to do that! I started today also. Looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time!! I am more than happy to walk this out with you!!

I am at about 165lb. Don't know my measurements. I am working towards feeling better in my body instead of just trying to look good. 

WE CAN DO THIS!!!

Hey all. I am actually re-starting today. I didn't just fall off the whole30 wagon, I burned that wagon to the ground with my binge fest yesterday. Whoops!! I made it to day 15 before falling flat on my face. It was my own fault. For 15 days I ate compliant foods, but never really got the hang of 3 balanced meals a day, snacked a lot, skipped meals, and felt like crap the whole time because of it. Gonna try again and this time I am going to do it right!

Good luck!

I am also starting today. I went shopping last night and will do some cooking when I get home from work. I realized the soup I brought for lunch is not compliant  :unsure: . I will just get a salad from the salad bar. I am doing the Whole30 so I can have more energy, stop this random stomach aches and loose some inches.

Wouldn't you know it...Day 1 and someone buys bagels for the entire office for breakfast!  And as if THAT wasn't bad enough...QDoba burrito bar for lunch...oh, the smells!!!  I was strong though.  I didn't cave.  I even drank my 1st cup of black coffee EVER!  I didn't even hate it. :D Thank God for my friend Aisha who's on the journey too.  Someone brought doughnuts to her office today.  It's a conspiracy, I tell ya! ;)

Hey all! I hope everyone is off to a great start today. I'm on Whole30 to try and make some better food habits and hopefully lose some inches and joint pain along the way. But Day 1 and I've already hit my first social hurdle. My coworkers and I have hit a lull in our work and we're currently at a breakfast joint (with amazing crepes by the way) But I managed to keep it easy and ordered a giant plate of fruit =) Hopefully I can hang on to this willpower and good attitude for at least a couple more days.

First day newbie here too! So far so good although I am a SAHM and I sure do go look in the fridge a lot! I think I am most worried about the holiday as we host at our house. I'm hoping that since its at the end of the month I'll be a pro at this. Looking forward to some yummy meals.

Hello, another March 1st starter, I am hoping March is the month to turn so many things around. Glad to see that there are many others on the adventure.  Survived black coffee, biggest challenge will be planning and prepping, not so good at that!

Hello! Today is Day 1 of my Whole 30 also! My boyfriend and I are navigating this together. Some of the Whole 30 sounds like what I already eat...other parts...not so much. But I am optimistic and am looking forward to some positive changes. Good luck and congratulations to all of us as we begin this journey today!

So far so good! I have been battling a headache non stop since the first night. Not snacking has been pretty hard, but it's getting easier... right now anyway. Let's see if I can say that on day 15. 

Anyone try any new and creative meals? I'm always looking for new things to try. 

I am on day 4 and so far so good.  I am using recipes from ISWF, Whole 30, Well Fed and Nom Nom Paleo.  I just got Robb Wolf's book from the library so will check out some of his recipes too. I am having fun making delicious food.  I recently watched a Netflix presentation from Michael Pollan called "Cooked."  I have watched just 2 of the 4 shows and the second one is all about finding pleasure in preparing food - I really liked it.  I am learning to pay attention to the preparation and enjoy it rather than rush, rush.  I do think this helps when it comes to sitting down to eat all this nourishing food. 

I gave up caffeine which was just one cup of coffee in the mornings and I was surprised at the headache on day one!  No more headaches or anything negative to report.  I feel GOOD. I find it's helpful having this community to connect with and read all the info.  Thanks :-)

Day 4 almost completed. I feel tired because I could not sleep last night. About 2am I woke up feeling like it was 8am ready to roll...not good. Otherwise the headache from day 2 has gone away (thank goodness) and I feel good. My pants already feel better. Having an interesting none interest in food right now, which is really odd for me.  I always been an emotional eater, so anything and everything was up for grabs, but today, I feel hungry...but nothing sounds good...not even things that are off limits. Lots of tea and water. Anyone else get that feeling? I have a challenge coming up on Sunday when I meet family for lunch. I didn't plan on dining out this month, but now I am...Hope everyone is doing well, have a great Whole 30 weekend :)

I'm not as interested in food, either--I feel like I'm forcing myself to put something (healthy) in my body. I'm cooking way more than I ever have but once it's done, I'm kind of "meh" about it. I guess it's part of the detox process. I did have a (slightly) better attitude today, less sleepy and a bit more focused. I'm so glad you are sticking with this!

I know what you mean Barb, I thought it was due to my emotional attachment to food, eat when I'm mad, sad, bored etc...now that I am trying to recognize that and identify if I am actually, really hungry and take time to eat something healthy, and think of it as fuel, well....I just don't need as much food. Go figure...lol. I hope that might be my new normal!

Archived