Significant Weightloss on Whole30??

SheLovesToChew

I'm wondering if anyone is attempting to lose a significant amount of weight during the whole30 process, or anyone who has. Obviously "significant" is relative, but has anyone lost more than 10lbs over the course of the Whole30? If so, did you eat less fruit and nuts and more protein/veggie combos? I feel more Atkins like when I omit the fruit and nuts, but it's not sustainable for me long-term, but it does help induce significant weightloss....just curious

Great question... I have relied on fruit and nuts for my first W30... and lost less than 10 lbs but lost 9.5 inches. Weight has always been a big factor for me but now I feel good and I am getting leaner but not necessarily lighter. :) With my ability to have fruit and nuts, it has encouraged me to try new veggies and spices. Funny when I am not restricted, I try to control better. Hmmm... maybe it is a good idea that I am still on my 2nd W30! (Day 45) Look forward to see the responses.

Great question... I have relied on fruit and nuts for my first W30... and lost less than 10 lbs but lost 9.5 inches. Weight has always been a big factor for me but now I feel good and I am getting leaner but not necessarily lighter. :) With my ability to have fruit and nuts, it has encouraged me to try new veggies and spices. Funny when I am not restricted, I try to control better. Hmmm... maybe it is a good idea that I am still on my 2nd W30! (Day 45) Look forward to see the responses.

Hi Connistock, I weighed today for the first time (Day 13) and I'm only down 5lbs but I am down 6.5 inches , 2 of which are from my waist!!! #WINNING. I know this is less about losing weight, but I do think I'm probably consuming a little too much fruit (i.e grapes, apples, canteloupe, watermelon) and maybe even too many nuts. I'm trying to tow the road and not super restrict but also keep burning and losing. I for sure would get bored and discouraged if all I could eat was meat and veggies. I'm having a colonic on Monday to get the residual crud out of my gut and next week I'll eat less "high sugar" fruit and see what my weightloss is. I"m working out at the gym 5 days a week so I'm sure muscle is being built but I should also see a little more weightloss. Thanks for sharing and be and do well in your process!

I don't weigh myself so can't say how much I lost when doing the Whole30 but I know I did lose some. I don't imagine eating 1-2 pieces of fruit will make a huge difference to weight loss.

From reading a lot of posts and responses from the moderators on the forum nuts is probably something to minimise if you want to lose weight. I'd definitely have them if you feel restricted if you don't eat them but try and eat them with your meals rather than snack on them....that way you're likely to eat less (or that's my theory anyway).

Good luck.

I didn't go in to lose weight, but was surprised that I lost 8.5 pounds. My mom lost 9.5. We ate fruit and nuts. I have a nut issue so I try to avoid them now. Found myself subbing them for my usual late night chips and salsa snack. Plus, too many makes stomach unhappy. I make my own salsa and was missing eating it so I put it on my eggs or grilled beef now. I don't over eat almond butter so sometimes I have that. I'm 2 weeks past W30 and still mostly compliant. No dairy, grains or soy. A little sugar every now and then. I don't snack as much anymore. I haven't weighed again, but I'd guess I'm still around the same weight as I was 2 weeks ago. It's hard for me to avoid the scale, but my brain thinks it's ok to pig out on crap if I'm a little lower than more 'normal' range.

I just finished yesterday...scale reports 19 pounds lost over the 30 days. (Yes, I have a significant amount to lose in spite of my relatively healthy eating habits and regular exercise. I have struggled with a mis-diagnosed, mis-treated thyroid-adrenal-hormone disorder for about 8 years, on top of 2 bouts of depression and 3 pregnancies. The weight has never budged with the other 100 things/treatments/meal plans/exercise/supplements I've tried. Not an ounce.)

So I'm inclined to say that, for me at least, this particular approach has finally brought some balance into my mess of a system.

I did have nuts occasionally (maybe once or twice a week) and usually one piece of fruit per day (but not every single day.) No juice at all, just water and plain tea.

Good luck!

I just finished yesterday...scale reports 19 pounds lost over the 30 days. (Yes, I have a significant amount to lose in spite of my relatively healthy eating habits and regular exercise. I have struggled with a mis-diagnosed, mis-treated thyroid-adrenal-hormone disorder for about 8 years, on top of 2 bouts of depression and 3 pregnancies. The weight has never budged with the other 100 things/treatments/meal plans/exercise/supplements I've tried. Not an ounce.)

So I'm inclined to say that, for me at least, this particular approach has finally brought some balance into my mess of a system.

I did have nuts occasionally (maybe once or twice a week) and usually one piece of fruit per day (but not every single day.) No juice at all, just water and plain tea.

Good luck!

Jaylee, 19lbs in 30 days is definitely significant! CONGRATULATIONS!!! ;) Thanks for sharing

Hi Connistock, I weighed today for the first time (Day 13) and I'm only down 5lbs but I am down 6.5 inches , 2 of which are from my waist!!! #WINNING. I know this is less about losing weight, but I do think I'm probably consuming a little too much fruit (i.e grapes, apples, canteloupe, watermelon) and maybe even too many nuts. I'm trying to tow the road and not super restrict but also keep burning and losing. I for sure would get bored and discouraged if all I could eat was meat and veggies. I'm having a colonic on Monday to get the residual crud out of my gut and next week I'll eat less "high sugar" fruit and see what my weightloss is. I"m working out at the gym 5 days a week so I'm sure muscle is being built but I should also see a little more weightloss. Thanks for sharing and be and do well in your process!

Great news about your weight loss! I think our bodies just need the chance to work the RIGHT way and we will level out and lean down the way we should without the manipulation. Strange how after my W30 I have faith and before... none! Keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How much fruit is "okay" per day? A serving? Two? I've been trying to stick to one serving a day, no more than two. Also trying to avoid nuts, saving them for emergencies like when I'm out running errands and need a little something. Might possibly be overdoing the coconut, but I love it.

As someone who has finally learned from his mistakes, " less isn't more" . I think you may be surprised that you will do/ feel/ perform better if you eat just enough and not to little, and that was eating a lot more than I had ever thought possible ! But you need to find your balance..... Yes you can " under eat " and drop a ton of weight at first, but for me, this is about sustainability, and no more yoyo 20 lbs in each direction... And that means feeling great so I can really be active, enjoy life, and work/ play/ workout hard.....

A big part of my equation is consistently doing high intensity, short workouts. And HIIT cardio.... In and out in 20-40 min. No more 2 hours at the gym or on the bike/ jogging... Work your way into this type of activity and eat properly and I don't care who you are... You can lose plenty of weight....

Previously, I had been on Atkins for over a year and was stalled in my weight loss and bored with my options. I came here and did my first Whole30 back in June. I had to give up Splenda and dairy, but in return I got sweet potatoes and fruit. I lost 18 lbs. Just did a second Whole30 in October, and lost 7 more. Am still losing about a half pound a week.

I agree that less is not more. Eat from the template. Eat until satisfied. Undereating, especially if working out, will throw your body into starvation mode and make it hold on to every ounce it can.

Don't obsess on weight loss. Learning new habits will do more for your long-term success than 'trying' to lose x amount of pounds.

Good luck!

@1Maryann love your profile picture!

I've known for a really long time that to lean out and lose weight, this is the way to eat. Now, I admit that I miss my Greek yogurt, brown rice, quinoa, and rosemary/olive oil bread, but I am on my 6th day of Whole30 and already my pants are looser. I have consumed nuts, but I don't eat a lot because they can bother my stomach and I'm not a big fruit eater, but sometimes have up to two pieces a day. Having stepped on the scale this morning after putting on my pants (even though we are not suppose to) I weighed the same so I must have lost some inches. I'll take it!

I just finished my first Whole 30 yesterday and was amazed to discover I'd lost 8kg (about 20lbs). I did hope that I'd end up losing a bit, but since I was at the low end of the overweight category and don't need to lose much (10 more pounds will put me nicely in 'mid-normal') I didn't expect much. This was a pleasant surprise.

What I mostly ate: lots of eggs (omelets with veggies, boiled eggs with a bit of tabasco for fun, scrambled with a bit of coconut milk), lettuce leaf chicken tacos with home made salsa, home made chicken/beef/veggie soups, some Thai stuff from a place up the street (Chiang Mai sausage, fresh veggies, Tom Yam soup), Chinese food (I live in China so... not the greasy, battered, sweet Chinese food you might be thinking of... lots of steamed veggies, fermented veggies, smoked meat, hot pot), hazelnuts, almonds, bananas, kiwis.

I rarely felt hungry, didn't have cravings aside from, 'hey, that looks nice' (but not tempted enough to have any), had a few nuts before bed, as I'm a night owl and can't last from 6pm dinner until bedtime at 1am without something small to eat.

I started my Whole 30 18 days ago. I do not find it especially difficult because I was on a very restrictive diet last year (lost 75 pounds) and the Whole 30 is by far easier and better than what I did for most of 2011. BUT, after I finished dieting, I struggled with maintenance and have gained back about ten pounds. Eek. So, in my search for a better way to handle maintenance, I found Whole 30.

My struggle on Whole 30, frankly, is to stop thinking about weight loss, stay off the scale and not journal my food...I'm re-reading "It Start with Food" and I can see how this is a healing process from the years of feast/famine I put myself through. When I think about what I have done to myself between extreme dieting and then the sugar binges, I am amazed that my poor body didn't rebel in any other way besides getting very fat!

Anyway, I just wanted to chime in that I find the mental attachment to a diet mentality the hardest to change...Thanks, Arlene

I agree with Arlene, it is so hard not to think I am dieting and having to deal with all the mental baggage that goes with that. I haven't been able to unsubscribe to the internet's Calorie Count yet although I am trashing the daily emails as soon as they pop up. Sometimes I catch myself figuring out in my head how many calories I just ate in a meal. I am trying hard to break such habits.

This past June/July/August I did a Whole30 followed by a Whole45 and lost 25 pounds during that time. Since then (post Whole30), I still eat mostly Whole30ish with slight flexibility and I've lost an additional 20 pounds for a total of 45 lost all together since June 10th. I still have more I'd like to lose and have no doubt that over time with continuing to eat this way it will come off.

However, I will say that there truly are benefits to not weighing until done with the Whole30. Let yourself release your attachment to the scale! This way of eating (well, way of life really) has finally after all these years let me move past diet mode and I plan to just eat this way from now on. :)

I do eat about 2 servings of fruits a day and use nuts in salads, other recipes and occasionally as snacks (I love Paleo Pacs and they have macadamias and almonds in them).

• 2 weeks later...

When I did my first Whole30 in October of 2011, I gave up my sweet'n'low iced tea and exchanged it for water. For that, I lost about 15lbs. I'm 5'6 and was about 170lbs, so I felt pretty good about that :-). I didn't eat too much fruit, and nuts were not on my list - I'm not really a nut eater anyway. I just ate more carrots and some sliced apples.

Unfortunately, after this holiday, and mucho stress in my life, I reverted back to my pre-eating soda habits (but I still have no problem keeping away from the iced tea with the sweet n low), so I'll have to do another Whole30 again. I still expect to lose the same amount of weight, but I'm taking the scale out of the house - twice now, I've started on Whole30's but have weighed myself and went into "dieting mode". With the scale gone, I don't have that problem. I guess you could say that I am scale addicted :-(

Today is day 10 for me, and this thread really strikes a chord!! I have about 40-45lbs. to release (re-gained after a 95lbs. release in 2010), and I sometimes feel so desperate!! It's been an adjustment to stay away from the scale. But, it's such a relief to not weigh/measure/track/obsess about my food! I will admit, I've already tried on a too-tight work outfit, with no real change in tightness, and it was messing with me, so I'm committed to not doing that, either.

I am conflicted about responding to this thread. Weight loss is different for all of us. Losing a lot of bloat will translate into losing a lot of pounds: but there not really "fat" loss pounds, kwim?

Secondly, we all start from different places of excess fat and weight. The whole 30 will affect us differently given where we started from--and how "clean" our diets were in the first plce.

Thirdly, are the pounds really "lost" when they come back again? What I want is sustainable fat loss--I'd rather keep the pounds than lose them and then "find| them again.

Lastly, there are some who gain on the whole30 and that's an option, too, a good one especially for those who need it.

That said, I am thrilled beyond belief that after my whole60, I have lost 10% of my body weight--or 25 lbs. I plan to continue to use this program as a weight loss protocol after the new year.

Hi. I am new here. NEW-new ... as in I just heard about the Whole 30 yesterday, bought the book for my nook last night, and then read about 2/3 of the book today.

I have about 100 lbs to lose. I have been at this weight for several years - probably about 5 - and I desperately want to get back to the weight I was most comfortable at about 10 years ago, which is 150. I was reading all of your posts above and am happy that so many of you were able to achieve such amazing weight loss during your Whole 30. I hope that I have the same kind of success.

I am starting my Whole 30 tomorrow, even though I have an office christmas party at an upscale Italian restaurant in a week and Christmas is just around the corner. When the January 2013 Whole 30 starts, I am going to jump on board for that too.

I am sick and tired of always losing a little and then gaining it back and feeling gross in the process. I want to feel good again.

Archived