Starting February 29th

JeannineBailey

After lunch which consisted of sweet potatoes and ground turkey with onions and bell peppers  and a small spinach salad with grape tomatoes , I got a horrible headache! I also felt super full which was weird. I had 2 hard boiled eggs and a nectarine around 2:30 and felt much better. This is also the 2nd whole 30 for me and I'm focusing less on weight loss and more on the overall physical feeling better. It also seems to be easier and less "white knuckling it" because the pressure is off of myself to "lose weight". Here comes day 5!

That sounds delicious - think I'll make that next week.  Did you have the sweet potato on the side, or mixed in the ground turkey?

Day 5 in the books! Was really worried about this one because I worked 6-7 today. Especially when I found myself only getting 4-5 hrs of sleep the night before. (I haven't been sleeping all that great since i started the program, is this something to be concerned with?). Anyways the point of this post is that, besides maybe the first hour or so, I wasnt tired at ALL the entire day! I left sore, as always when i have shift that long, but I'm usually wiped out! I came home and had the energy to cook a full meal (from scratch pork sausage and roasted potato hash with all sorts of veggies and a side salad)! What the heck is this? Day 5 is supposed to be "kill all the things!" Moderators, or anyone else with some experience with this program: I would appreciate some insight into this! Now its after 9 and I still have plenty of energy but its up at 5am to do it again... I hope I can sleep ok. How is everyone else feeling?

That sounds delicious - think I'll make that next week.  Did you have the sweet potato on the side, or mixed in the ground turkey?

It was delicious. I carmalized the onions, bell peppers and mushrooms before I browned the meat seperately. It makes a world of difference on the flavor. I had th roasted yams on the side but ended up mixing them in when i reheated them. 

Omg a girl on her period needs the love of chocolate oh for goodness sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant believe I didn't crack.... I'm still here on day 5. And what is it with the daily whole 30 email with the pics of donuts like torture a girl much would you... Rants over!! My day is over!!!

Hey guys!

I started on the 29th as well and wanted to check in and see how everyone is holding up as of day 8? I have cravings for just about every type of junk food but surpisingly have tons of energy in the morning but not so much at night. Anyways best of luck to everyone!

1 weeks in the book. I think my mind I starting to change and I'm starting to figure out how to make this into a lifestyle. I will have some challenges coming up in the next few weeks and I'm already planning. This Thursday I have to be on a liquid diet so I have some La Croix and broth and bone broth and coconut water. It's only 1 day and I don't need to fill it up with jello and popiscles and Gatorade. Then the last weekend on the program I will be traveling to see my mom and then for work. It won't be too bad because I will be staying at my mom's and I can shop and cook and then pack food for the office meeting. I'm determined to get through it and be successful.

I'm also working on my mindless snacking. It hasn't been perfect BUT I feel like I'm making headway. I'm feeling more excited. I also tried cabbage again. I roasted it and pan fried it in the skillet with complaint sausage. It's so yummy. Much better than when my mother would just broil it.

Sadly this weekend i made non whole 30 food choices and my body is immediately feeling the effects. I felt good but super hungry the first 5 days of my 2 second round and on Saturday I let myself get too hungry (emotional too) and ate a protein bar which slid into other choices. Its amazing how my body already has reacted (cravings like wildfire and digestive issues gas and bloating). No shame or condemnation just need to commit to starting again. If feeling good is worth it I need to give myself another chance. All my compliant meals are already prepped for the entire week. I noticed this morning (after having regular cream in my coffee ) how much of a disoriented brain fog i felt like i was in. So uncomfortable. 

Good luck to those still holding strong on day 8.

I ate breakfast at McDonald's this morning... somehow forgot I was doing whole30 until I was finished.  I was soooooo upset - and then I woke up!  Lol, whew!  Thought I wasn't supposed to dream about "bad" food until day 12??  I can tell my tastes are already changing though - thinking about actually eating McDonalds made my stomach turn.  Woot woot!

I've also had the non-compliant food dream (or nightmare) where someone puts a cup in front of me, I don't ask what it is and drink some, and it's hot chocolate. I then eat all the decadent desserts in sight and wake up feeling guilty.

Thankfully, still holding strong on day 9; although, today feeling tired and stomach hurts. Actually, last couple of days haven't been great stomach-wise, but that's the primary reason I'm doing the Whole30, and they say it gets worse before it gets better, so I'm going to just ride it out.

For those of you having Mayo challenges, I used avocado oil and my small food processor and it came out really well. It took my tastebuds a bit to acclimate because it didn't have that slight sweetness that I was accustomed to, but instead was more salty. I used it as a base and added sundried tomatoes and garlic oil, and made sundried tomato aioli, which was really good on the side of roasted asparagus spears and mushrooms.

Day 10!  I'm definitely noticing an increase in morning energy. Used to drink 3 cups of coffee a day (2 in am, 1 in pm) but am now down to 1 cup when I get to work.  I enjoy it for the taste - no longer need it for the caffeine; might even switch to decaf.  If you had told me two weeks ago I didn't neeeeed my morning coffee, I would have told you to take it back, lol.  How is everyone else doing??

Yesterday, Day 10, I started having a bad headache. It seems to be related to sinus pressure, but I don'the have a cold. The headache is intense! I've been up most of the night. The past few days were amazing with great energy. Now, this! Anyone else getting bad headaches?

Yesterday, Day 10, I started having a bad headache. It seems to be related to sinus pressure, but I don'the have a cold. The headache is intense! I've been up most of the night. The past few days were amazing with great energy. Now, this! Anyone else getting bad headaches?

I noticed that I was dealing with headaches yesterday and today. I think it might be allergy related because I'm starting to have sinus issues also.

On another note, I have to be on a liquid diet today because I'm having a colonoscopy tomorrow. Just about everything on the list has sugar or artificial sugars. So my plan is to stick with water, tea, bone broth, coconut water and La Croix. I might also do flavored water like putting lemon and oranges in my water. I want to get through this and still stay on plan. I haven't had sugar in 10 days so why start now. A popsicle or fruit juice isn't going to full me up more than the broth.

I'm big time missing my scale right now, but I understand why I can't use it.  I feel like I may be starting to see changes, and would probably be discouraged if the number on the scale hasn't budged.  (I know it's just a number, and the NSV's are more important.)  So NSV's: higher energy is making me more upbeat and social (current weather we're having in DC helps too),  haven't noticed any new breakouts, tummy troubles haven't been present for the last few days, and I seem to be sleeping better.  Those are some pretty great things. :)

Here are some recipes from the book that our whole family loves:

- Salmon Cakes (pan fried with ghee much better than baking).  We topped these with Basic Mayo + capers + lemon.  Awesome.

- Roasted Red Pepper Sauce.  It is true what they say - you could put this on anything!  And, it was really easy to make.

Chicken Cacciatore is on the menu tonight.

Has anyone tried any of the other recipes in The Whole30?

Day 17 and I'm still rocking and rolling. I will be traveling this weekend. I shouldn't have any issues saying on plan because I will at my mom's house and I can hit the grocery store and cook. This is my 3rd W30 and I feel great. It's becoming easier and easier every day (as long as I have the right foods in the house). I'm already thinking about reintroduction. I want to add back in oatmeal and GF waffles. These make it easy for me on mornings when I hit the gym or don't have a lot of time in the morning.

Your third!  That is great.  This is my first.  I think I am getting rid of some deep sinus stuff that I did not realize was there, so I am not feeling 'great', but am very focused on getting through this and being super clean.  I will need to look back at the 2 books when it is time for reintroduction.  I didn't realize what an important step it would be in the Whole30 process.  I will say, I have never slept more soundly in my life.  That alone is amazing.  

• 2 weeks later...

I guess every one has been rockin and rollin on their W30. Day 29 so what is everyone's plan for Day 31. I'm going to do the slow roll reintroduction. I thought I had slayed the sugar dragon until all of the Easter candy appeared. I think it's a combination of the fact that I can "have it" without guilt in a few days and PMS.

I almost broke yesterday - what's 1 little chocolate egg???  But, I ate strawberries instead.

By Day 27, I realized that I have a deeper issue going on - I've had hay fever-like symptoms this entire time.  I think this is something I have had for years but did not notice it until everything else cleared up.  Starting today, I am going to follow the Low Histamine plan.  I've followed the Whole30 regular protocol diligently, so I am HOPING I will see some changes following the LH by Day 31.  If so, I will do the 10 Day Reintro per the book, but will leave out gluten foods.  I know those do not agree with me.  If no changes with the other symptoms by Day 31, I will continue for another 15 days.

I have not missed dairy foods or GF grains and considered leaving them out of the Reintro, but just so that I don't have to limit myself on special occasions I will include them in the Reintro and see how it affects my body.

Archived