Day 0 Finished, On to Day 1!

Aurelius

Hello Whole30 Family!

Day 0 complete!

Homemade mayo, stocks, clarified butter and ranch in the fridge. Weight, measurements, and photos taken. Meal plans made till Friday. Cautiously optimistic to see how I do for the next 30 days.

2 biggest threats?

My work schedule: I work in retail which means inconsistent times/days that I work. I am on my feet my entire shift which can sometimes be up to 14 hrs long! As you can imagine I am not always feeling like putting time in the kitchen when I get home. Only saving grace is I do enjoy cooking, so theres that.

Alcohol: All my friends drink, and thats what we have always done when we get together. Especially when we all get off at the same time and all go get a beer (or 4) together. It has always been a big part of my life and now I am leaving that aspect of my life behind. The last thing I want to do is become a "Whole30 Hermit" as the book describes, but that environment is concerning to say the least.

So thats why I am here. The book says that the forums are a great place for support and I will need it, since I am the only one in my house that is doing it.

So, here's to the next 30 days! May it change my life and yours!

Sounds like you are prepped, Aurelius! Good luck on your start. I can see where your work schedule (and socializing schedule) might be a bit of a challenge. Can you keep hard boiled eggs or a bunch of precooked chicken legs/breasts in the fridge at work and home? Can you get club soda or perrier with lime at the drinking places?

Welcome Aurelius!

You can do this! :D

If you haven't signed up yet, I really like the Daily Whole30 emails :)https://daily.whole30.com they're especially great when you're the only one doing it in your house.

You can do this! You will rock the kitchen prep! :D Make sure you make some extra meals so you can take some meals off from cooking, just do a reheat (I like all of Wednesday to be leftovers/reheat, so it's No Cooking Wednesday, unless I feel like it). Throw a few extra meals in the freezer and you've got a buffer in case you have a horror shift.

If you think you'll be okay in a drinking environment, drink plain soda water or mineral water with some slices of fresh lime or lemon. Ask for it in a cocktail glass or highball. It has the look and you'll keep your liquids up (which might be handy after such a long shift!)

As a side note, if you find you're still hungry after three template meals a day, you might want to add a pre workout or post workout snack in there for your kitchen action times.

I highly recommend the Well Fed cookbooks from Mel Joulwan, she's also got lots of great recipes online.

Thanks guys! I know I can do it too. Things get real when I get back to work Wednesday. That will be the true test going forward.  :) Anyone else starting this thing for the month of March? Wouldnt mind having someone to talk to as we grow through it around the same times.

-Mark

Hi Mark,

I just finished Day 1 too! It seems manageable so far, yet after reading the book about days 3-7, I'm really not looking forward to being tired and crabby. I may not work in retail, but I do work with people, and some days patients can make for a stressful day. Those are the days I'm really worried about. Hopefully, once the 1st week is done, it gets better?

Good luck!

Maddy

Hey, I have just finished day 2. I forgot about the leap year thingie and started on Monday (29-2) so far so good. My 1 tip; ALWAYS make double or triple so you can eat the meal later again. It definitely saves heaps of time if you are not a picky eater. Good luck!

I just started as well - 24 hours in!!  I work nights (and that means communal bowls of chips, cheese and cracker trays, donuts, ordered pizza, etc)...currently at work and rocked the "no thanks" on tonight's 3 types of chips LOL  I wish you well in the social (and crazy work hours) stress of doing the Whole 30.  I too am the only one in my family doing the Whole 30 so will be around to support you (and gain support from you) :)

We can do this!!! :)

I am starting my day 1 on 3/1 as well :) I did a Whole 30 from Oct-Nov last year. But it butted up against Thanksgiving, so I don't think I was able to give re-immersion a fair shake and use it to identify any problem areas. Going to try again!

Well, Day 2 down! No hiccups as far as the food is concerned. Noticing some slight irritability while playing golf and driving in rush hour traffic. Oh wait, those things are always irritating  :P

Hello! I am starting my whole 30 today. I also work in retail so I understand being on your feet all day and not really able to sneak away to have meals. I work at my store alone so it can be difficult to eat when I want. I know canned tuna is always something I have on hand because its easy to put together in the morning for lunch. Hope everyone is doing well!!

I too started around the same time, or a day later - 3/1 was Day 1.  

My work challenge is that I work from home, in a very introverted, computer heavy job.  Prime trigger for the munchies, and the kitchen is very nearby!

Was definately foggy this morning - Day 2.

But on the whole not hungry, although I am sure the newness of starting is part of the reason!

Chicken stir fry on tap tonight.

Be careful on the tuna! Most of them have soy! I had to go buy new tuna today and it was like 2.50 a can for one that didnt have anything added to it. shesh...

I know I found out the hard way during my first whole 30. Trader joe's has a pretty inexpensive compliant tuna if you have a store near you!

Better in the energy and craving department (can't believe how much easier it is to say no compared to week 1)...still having difficulty sleeping (but maybe because I'm a night-shift worker??)  Feeling a little bit of the bloating, but nothing substantial.  Really looking forward to knowing what "tiger blood" feels like :)

Heading down south on Friday (Day 11), and not looking forward to a 14-hr drive on the "hardest day" in the timeline. 

How's everyone else?? Any awesome recipes that you tried? 

I'm starting to really focus on what we put into our mouths, and am subsequently feeling guilty about what I'm giving my children.  Those quick sandwiches in their lunch, or the granola bar for snack, are really making me think twice.  Every time they seem tired, or cranky, I'm wondering if its because they aren't eating properly...I think I'm becoming a little obsessed *grin*   Thinking very seriously about transitioning them to a paleo diet...

Better in the energy and craving department (can't believe how much easier it is to say no compared to week 1)...still having difficulty sleeping (but maybe because I'm a night-shift worker??)  Feeling a little bit of the bloating, but nothing substantial.  Really looking forward to knowing what "tiger blood" feels like :)

Heading down south on Friday (Day 11), and not looking forward to a 14-hr drive on the "hardest day" in the timeline. 

How's everyone else?? Any awesome recipes that you tried? 

I'm starting to really focus on what we put into our mouths, and am subsequently feeling guilty about what I'm giving my children.  Those quick sandwiches in their lunch, or the granola bar for snack, are really making me think twice.  Every time they seem tired, or cranky, I'm wondering if its because they aren't eating properly...I think I'm becoming a little obsessed *grin*   Thinking very seriously about transitioning them to a paleo diet...

How old are your kids? Mine are 13 & 15, and no way am I brave enought to transition them ;)  Actually they more or less eat whatever protein I make for dinner, with maybe rice or another grain thrown in.  The oldest is more adverturous with the veggies. And they are old enough to absorb what mom and dad are doing, so there is some modeling going on.  But - break their granola bar addiction; not gonna happen any time soon!

Most of the recipes I have tried been solid; of the recipes in the book, I have enjoyed the banger sausages and the stir fry in the Whole30 book. The stir fry is very simple, but probably the best stir fry I have made to date because I didn't skimp on the cooking fat. Oh, and muffin frittatas are a great breakfast option.  I will be making them again this week.

I hope your drive went well.

This weekend has been toughest to date for me

Archived