Starting March 7th and I HATE vegetables-help!

LTH

Hi all!

My name is Lauren and I'm 24 years old teacher. I'm starting my first Whole30 on Monday, March 7 and I'm excited but nervous.

I have a confession to make: 

I have survived 24 years without consuming a whole single vegetable or eating a salad. 

I KNOW. It's so bad. I have a deep hatred for all vegetables and now it's so much more psychological then it is just a distaste of veggies. My diet consists of sugar, carbs, (oh how I love bread) and dairy. I'm using the Whole30 to reset my taste buds and hopefully change my relationship with food. If I could find a few veggie dishes that I like then that would be awesome. 

Any other vegetable haters out there? Any suggestions? I'm the worlds pickiest eater but I need some tough love in changing my taste buds and the way I eat. This girl can't survive on cinnamon bread and cereal any longer.

Wish me luck! I'd welcome ANY and ALL suggestions anyone may have for me!

Thanks!

Lauren 

This green bean recipe from Well Fed is amazing. And the sauce would be good on other veggies as well.

To help encourage you: I used to HATE coconut, and now I use coconut oil, coconut milk, and shredded coconut in practically everything. Also, I used to be a big fruit juice drinker but hated eating the actual fruit. I have now sworn off fruit juice and I can even eat a whole apple, which used to gross me out. OK, the skin still weirds me out a bit, but I know that's where all the fiber is.

Good luck! You can do it!

Hi, Lauren!  What I love to do is roast veggies and use them in various ways.  It really brings out their sweetness! You can start with a red pepper, red onion, and mushrooms.  Cut into chunks and drizzle with olive oil.  Roast in a 425 degree oven until soft and golden, stirring often.  I've also added fresh green beans and zucchini.  I use this mixture in omelets or as a substitute for pasta when I make spaghetti sauce with meat.  I just top a huge pile of roasted veggies with meat sauce.  It also goes well over steak or a hamburger.

Salads are really my go to....I eat them several times a week.  I have even gotten used to using olive oil and balsamic for dressing (I was addicted to creamy bottled dressings).  Load them up with chopped cucumber, tomatoes, carrots, etc.

You are right....you really need to change your taste buds.  During my first W30 even the fruit I ate seemed too sweet!

Good luck and remember....YOU CAN DO ANYTHING FOR 30 DAYS!

• Administrators

Keep trying those veggies, over and over and over.  Even if you can only get one bite for a little while.  Keep trying them, keep exposing yourself to them, keep googling different cooking methods and recipes.  Over time your tastes will change, give yourself credit!  Once a picky eater isn't always a picky eater, you can reform yourself if you just keep trying.

Identify the textures you don't like, the tastes, the smells and then work around them.  Dipping sauces are also good, homemade mayo, guacamole, buffalo ranch (homemade mayo mixed with ranch spices and Frank's red hot).

I grew up on canned vegetables and always thought I hated them. Think canned spinach and asparagus - blech! I only liked canned corn and beets. Didn't have my first salad until I was in high school. I think I only liked them as a delivery system for thick, creamy, sweet dressings. I'm still not wild about salad (sans those sugar dressings) but have really turned the corner on vegs in general. Roasting is my absolute favorite. Also soups -blended or chunky. Filling up a muffin cup with vegs and pouring in some egg and baking it also helps me keep my vegetables up.

Good for you for taking this on. As RobinF said -it's 30 days!

Archived