Reintroduction Schedule

Hopefully this is the right forum for this question...I was surprised there wasn't a forum specifically for reintroductions after the Whole30.

The last day of my (and my boyfriend's) Whole30 is Sunday. We're going to do reintroduction similar to how ISWF recommends it: day 1 dairy, day 4 gluten grains, day 7 non-gluten grains, day 10 legumes (though we may switch the order).

My question is, the book mentions ice cream as an example of something to add in when reintroducing dairy. Ice cream has sugar in it (as well as dairy). Does this mean that our reintroductions can have sugar, as long as we're not going overboard? The book says that we should be Whole30 compliant in all other regards besides what we're reintroducing, and I assume also that that means that the days in between each new food group are considered Whole30 days. Which means no sugar...right?

I guess I'm just confused how eating sugar along with the reintroduced food groups will help us to evaluate only those food groups. How do we know if it's the dairy or the sugar in the ice cream that's affecting us?

Hopefully I'm not overthinking this! I'd love to try ice cream again, but I also don't want to mess up a good opportunity to figure out how my body reacts to stuff. :)

Maybe if you guys tell me how you went about doing your reintroductions, that'd give me an idea of what to try.

Thanks!

Hopefully this is the right forum for this question...I was surprised there wasn't a forum specifically for reintroductions after the Whole30.

The last day of my (and my boyfriend's) Whole30 is Sunday. We're going to do reintroduction similar to how ISWF recommends it: day 1 dairy, day 4 gluten grains, day 7 non-gluten grains, day 10 legumes (though we may switch the order).

My question is, the book mentions ice cream as an example of something to add in when reintroducing dairy. Ice cream has sugar in it (as well as dairy). Does this mean that our reintroductions can have sugar, as long as we're not going overboard? The book says that we should be Whole30 compliant in all other regards besides what we're reintroducing, and I assume also that that means that the days in between each new food group are considered Whole30 days. Which means no sugar...right?

I guess I'm just confused how eating sugar along with the reintroduced food groups will help us to evaluate only those food groups. How do we know if it's the dairy or the sugar in the ice cream that's affecting us?

Hopefully I'm not overthinking this! I'd love to try ice cream again, but I also don't want to mess up a good opportunity to figure out how my body reacts to stuff. :)

Maybe if you guys tell me how you went about doing your reintroductions, that'd give me an idea of what to try.

Thanks!

I think that's a great question. I would not use ice cream as my dairy for the very reason you mentioned. I will use yogurt (plain) and/or cheese. That is what makes sense in my head.

I have seen a moderator say that the days inbetween are W30 days and when you add something else, it's only that you add, not the previous items as well.

I haven't even thought this far ahead yet because I'm only on day 14 but these are all good questions. I'm wondering too with the dairy if it is assumed that you will comsume at least some sugar since milk has sugar in it. For example plain yogurt has sugar in it even if it isn't added sugar.

I haven't even thought this far ahead yet because I'm only on day 14 but these are all good questions. I'm wondering too with the dairy if it is assumed that you will comsume at least some sugar since milk has sugar in it. For example plain yogurt has sugar in it even if it isn't added sugar.

That is not added sugar that you are talking about. We're speaking of something that has sugar added to it.

I think it has to do with inflammatory response that your gut/body has to those categories of foods (dairy, grains, legumes) where as sugar may make you feel like crap and reignite your sugar dragon it is less likely to cause and inflammatory response...however everyone is different...if you are pretty sensitive to sugar I would try sugar as it's own category as well. I know for me sugar causes as bad of a reaction in my body as gluten does!

Archived