Sunflower Lecithin in Homemade Nut Milks

Ksass4

Hello -

Not sure if this has been touched on before, so asking to make sure..

I normally make my own nut milks, but add organic sunflower lecithin to bind the water and fat molecules to prevent separation that naturally occurs.  I'm beginning my first Whole30 tomorrow, (despite being off/on again Paleo for 5yrs now), and like to use the nut milks in my homemade cold brew coffee.  So is sunflower lecithin ok?

Also, while on the subject.  I also add 1-2 small dates to the nut milk mixture before blending for a touch of sweetness.  Is this a no go for the Whole30?  And, since I cant use stevia in the coffee, what about adding plain organic coconut water to dilute the cold brew to take off the bitter edge?.  This a no go as well?

I'm going to guess the answer is 'no' to these questions given that I do have a good understanding of the program, but wanted to make sure before proceeding.

Thanks in advance!

• Administrators

The sunflower lecithin.........I guess if you feel you really have to...........but it's not optimal and it's not really necessary.  It's only 30 days.  :)

No on the blended dates and as far as the coconut water in your coffee.....I would say if you are adding it to continue to get a hit of sweetness from your morning cup of joe, then no.  As you go on, you'll find that your tastes change and even just plain coconut milk has a bit of sweetness to take the edge off your coffee.  Just beware why you're drinking the coffee....if it's for sugary-goodness every morning then you might want to rethink.

The sunflower lecithin.........I guess if you feel you really have to...........but it's not optimal and it's not really necessary.  It's only 30 days.   :)

No on the blended dates and as far as the coconut water in your coffee.....I would say if you are adding it to continue to get a hit of sweetness from your morning cup of joe, then no.  As you go on, you'll find that your tastes change and even just plain coconut milk has a bit of sweetness to take the edge off your coffee.  Just beware why you're drinking the coffee....if it's for sugary-goodness every morning then you might want to rethink.

I agree with you regarding being aware of why I drink coffee.  To clarify, I don't like my coffee that sweet, therefore don't consume it for its sugary-goodness.  I like coffee, because well, I just like coffee.  I've added coconut water to my cold brew before and liked the overall flavor it gave, and the touch of sweetness was an added bonus IMO.  I've tried drinking coffee black before, just can't do it :(

• Moderators

I normally make my own nut milks, but add organic sunflower lecithin to bind the water and fat molecules to prevent separation that naturally occurs.  

Can you just shake the liquid before using to mix it up?  Separation naturally occurs but it doesn't affect the product. We really want you to be aware of the unnecessary things that companies (and yourself) put in products... 

• Administrators

I agree with you regarding being aware of why I drink coffee.  To clarify, I don't like my coffee that sweet, therefore don't consume it for its sugary-goodness.  I like coffee, because well, I just like coffee.  I've added coconut water to my cold brew before and liked the overall flavor it gave, and the touch of sweetness was an added bonus IMO.  I've tried drinking coffee black before, just can't do it :(

Well then if you like it, it isn't against the rules, go for it!  :)

You'll also find your tastes change, so nut milks without dates and coffee without added coconut water might taste strange at first, but your tastes really do change in 30 days. I now find a lot of emulsified things quite icky in texture (except mayo, I love mayo!).

Cold brew coffee is already sweeter and less bitter than regular coffee.

Have you tried coconut milk or coconut cream?

I sometimes add a little coconut cream to my nut milk if I've been a bit stingy on the nuts (I don't measure lol) and it's a bit thin.

Cold brew coffee is already sweeter and less bitter than regular coffee.

Have you tried coconut milk or coconut cream?

That's exactly the reason why I love cold brew :)

And yes, have used both coconut milk/cream before.  I prefer coconut cream in hot coffee though, since it dissolves better, and nut milks in iced coffee.

A tiny pinch of salt can help reduce bitterness in coffee. I've also blended an egg yolk or two into coffee and find I prefer this to nut milks or coconut milk. I'm a black coffee drinker, though, so ymmv.

Speaking of egg yolks, could egg yolk lecithin be used for a nut milk?

Before whole30 I swore I could never drink coffee black... Guess how I still drink it post Whole30?! I even bought a compliant creamer recently (almond and coconut milk), used it once and forgot about it!

I do like to add cinnamon to my grounds.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm confused by a blog article on almond milk; silk brand, that has sunflower lecithin in it and the response to the question if sunflower lecithin is compliant.  The response given was "if you feel you really have to...........but it's not optimal and it's not really necessary".  The Silk brand has sunflower lecithin in the ingredients.  

Below you will see that I copied the article from the blog or click this link  

almond-milk.png

Almond Milk. Verdict: Convenience
ConvenienceSilk Unsweetened Almond Milk, $2.00/1 quart

Homemade: Recipe from Stupid Easy Paleo: (1 cup raw almonds + 4 cups water): $2.50 + $0.0 = $2.50/1 quart.

Cost Savings: 25% more

Time Spent: 24 hour soak + 10 minutes prep.

Taste Differential: many would say the pre-packaged tastes better, although that’s likely a texture thing from the addition of vegetable gum emulsifiers and/or lecithin

People come to the whole30 from a lot of different places, and for some people, just using the commercial almond milk is a big step and should be congratulated. Some people have been doing this a long time, and sometimes, over time, we get more particular about our choices. Just compliant isn't always good enough and the best choice is to avoid additives of any kind, not just the ones that aren't compliant.

In the article, they decided convenience was a good trade off because almond are expensive, but I disagree. Almonds are just as expensive for the people making almond milk, they just use less of them and make up the difference with texturizing additives.

Personally, I no longer use almond milk at all. It isn't really a nutritional powerhouse (regardless if it's homemade or store bought), it's just a milk substitute, but if you need a milk substitute, know there are a range of options. Best is to make your own from organic almonds and unicorn tears (this is a joke. plain water is fine), but the pre-packaged is ok, as long as it doesn't have sweetener, soy lecithin or carrageenan.

• Administrators

Thanks, Missmary, I get it now.  I wanted a milk substitute for the calcium.  I did get the silk.  I have had two 6 oz glasses of it and wonder if I may be allergic to it.  We'll see.  

We really recommend you don't drink calories. Your body doesn't recognize energy coming from liquid food so you end up taking in way more than you would if you just ate the almonds.

Nut products can be hard on the digestion so it may not be so much that you are allergic as that it is doing what it is well known to do...upset your stomach (if that's what your complaint is).

There is enough calcium in leafy greens, cruciferous veggies and grass fed meats for the average person to achieve their calcium requirements.

Check out this excellent article on calcium from the Whole30 creators: http://whole9life.com/2012/02/what-about-calcium/

Thank you so much, ladyshanny, for that article.  Very informative.  I've been stressed recently since told I was osteopenia.  Glad I've been on this diet for 32 days now.  I will keep on with the fat and nutrient dense meals for better absorption.  Thanks, again!  

Archived