Salad makes tummy sad

In it to win it

So I'm on day 9. Things have been fairly "easy". I've been having three meals a day, no need for snacking. Sleeping well etc. Before the whole30 I at typical "healthy" foods for a typical American diet. I have always had a stomach reaction especially to salad greens. I just had my first whole30 salad with lots of organic lettuce, chicken, tomatoes, almonds and balsamic dressing. 20 minutes later I had to not quite run, but hurry to use the bathroom. Is this still totally normal? I don't want to give up on salad, I love salad!

• Administrators

So I'm on day 9. Things have been fairly "easy". I've been having three meals a day, no need for snacking. Sleeping well etc. Before the whole30 I at typical "healthy" foods for a typical American diet. I have always had a stomach reaction especially to salad greens. I just had my first whole30 salad with lots of organic lettuce, chicken, tomatoes, almonds and balsamic dressing. 20 minutes later I had to not quite run, but hurry to use the bathroom. Is this still totally normal? I don't want to give up on salad, I love salad!

It sounds like it's normal for you.  Raw veggies can be bothersome to some people, difficult to digest, stomach-ache-makers.  If that is the case for you but you still love it, then I guess you'll deal with the consequences?  This isn't a "Whole30" reaction so much as an "In it to win it" reaction.  :)

• Moderators

If you truly just love salads and don't want to give them up, try different kinds of lettuce/leafy greens, and see if different ones affect you differently. Or aim for way more other stuff than leafy greens, if the other stuff is not what's bothering you.

It might be that if you keep eating Whole30 style, plus cutting out things that cause irritation, at some point in the future you might have less reaction, but continuing to eat something that clearly irritates your digestive tract is not going to help you get there.

Archived