I am on Day 16. doing so well - though this past weekend and today I can't stop snacking. I sit in front of a computer all day and have struggled in the past with a bad stress-eating habit but stopped during my 1st two weeks of Whole30. I feel like it's back now- the urge to eat all day!  Today I had two lunches and a late afternoon banana and nuts and raisins, then started in again when I went to pack my lunch earlier this evening! What's wrong with me?? I love Whole30 foods. A lot. I think too much! 

Maybe you're hungry. Maybe you're going to start your period soon (I can eat up to six full meals per day in the days leading up to my period sometimes). Maybe there's something else going on. There are all sorts of reasons for hungry days (and weeks).

If you'd like some tips and suggestions, post a couple of days' worth of meals here, along with any other relevant information like exercise, sleep, water intake, new stressors, etc.

Thanks Amy. I am definitely not hungry and just finished my period. I know it's stress or compulsive something. I used to smoke and the trigger is boredom or sitting in front of the computer. Also cooking and packing lunches- I just start grazing and I can't seem to stop. 

Yesterday I ate 2 HB eggs with broccoli slaw, Whole30 mayo + 1/2 avacado for breakfast (around 6am)

lunch was about 3/4 c protein salad with pea shoots, nuts/raisins (super busy morning- lunch at 12:30pm)

I was starving again at about 3pm and had leftover dinner from the night before- I had worked the night before  (spaghetti squash with ground turkey sauce)

Then it hit me- stress, food - ack! ate a banana and nuts/raisins at about 4:30 before long commute home

dinner was 2 scrambled eggs with peppers, mushrooms, onion, spinach and a side of butternut squash

then packing lunch it hit me again- more nuts/raisins. then I made deviled eggs for lunch and ate 1/2 of one. I couldn't stop shoveling things in my mouth. This was at about 9:30 pm. So mad at myself!!! 

any advice greatly appreciated....

also i have significantly decreased exercise since starting the program. I used to do 3 days of intensive cardio and weights/yoga/walking on other days but I had inflammation all over my body and various injuries. I used this 30 days to change everything up so now I'm only doing about 30 mins of light cardio, yoga and light weights. Yesterday though I did NOTHING! 

You aren't eating enough. When eggs are your only protein source, most women need 3-4 (how many can you hold in one hand). Not enough vegetables. Nuts and dried fruits are to be used sparingly and not every day. I'd be starved on your menu. At a time you aren't stressed, sit down and make a list of ways to deal with it without food. Eating just adds to the stress. A few minutes of meditation can help a lot. I'm sure a moderator will be along soon to give you more help. Hang in there!

Right there with you. I was just complaining about this yesterday. Look for the topic "Swapping one addiction for another". I got some really good advice that I started following today. More food at meals and finding ways to break those bad habits. Best of luck to you! 

Breakfast: are you eating at home? I'm assuming since the time is 6am. I know that when I eat eggs as my main breakfast protein, I can eat 3-4 eggs no problem if they're scrambled, but no way could I get down 3-4 HB eggs. Another option for more protein is to have your 2 HB eggs and then some meat, like a sausage patty, leftover chicken. You also need to make sure you're getting enough veggies in at breakfast too. 1 cup is the minimum and template recommends 1-3 cups at each meal.

Lunch: Same here with the veggies. The protein salad (is this like a chicken salad?) might be enough, but you'd need to eat a boatload of pea shoots to get up to the correct amount.

I tend to take the harsh approach to snacking - I don't buy foods that I would snack on, which would include nuts, fruit, dried fruit, etc, and I am simply too lazy to get out and go to the store just for some snacks. For your snacking in the afternoon, since your previous two meals were small, that is probably why you are feeling the need to snack. If you are hungry it is okay to eat, and actually eating a mini meal like you did with the leftover dinner is better than the nuts/raisins.

I'd try to up your veggies at both meals and get a fat in at lunch and then see how you feel come 3-4pm. If you're really still hungry then, eat, but have a mini-meal that fits the template instead of a snack.

Thanks Amy. I am definitely not hungry and just finished my period. I know it's stress or compulsive something. I used to smoke and the trigger is boredom or sitting in front of the computer. Also cooking and packing lunches- I just start grazing and I can't seem to stop. 

Yesterday I ate 2 HB eggs with broccoli slaw, Whole30 mayo + 1/2 avacado for breakfast (around 6am)

lunch was about 3/4 c protein salad with pea shoots, nuts/raisins (super busy morning- lunch at 12:30pm)

I was starving again at about 3pm and had leftover dinner from the night before- I had worked the night before  (spaghetti squash with ground turkey sauce)

Then it hit me- stress, food - ack! ate a banana and nuts/raisins at about 4:30 before long commute home

dinner was 2 scrambled eggs with peppers, mushrooms, onion, spinach and a side of butternut squash

then packing lunch it hit me again- more nuts/raisins. then I made deviled eggs for lunch and ate 1/2 of one. I couldn't stop shoveling things in my mouth. This was at about 9:30 pm. So mad at myself!!! 

any advice greatly appreciated....

One thing you might consider is the recommended meal template, which is designed to keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours. The meal template, basically, is 1-2 palm-size portions of protein; 1-2 thumb-size portions of fat; and 2-3 cups of veggies. We do recommend 3 meals per day, yes, but we also recommend meals that keep you going for 4-5 hours. If you go longer than that between meals, you may very well need a mini-meal of protein, fat, and veggies (or two of the three) to tide you over.

Using your example above, here's what you could do:

Meal One at 6:00 a.m.: Add one or two more eggs (when eggs are your sole source of protein, you need as many as you can hold in your hand - for most women that's 3-4). Make sure your broccoli slaw is substantial in size, aim for 3 cups. Fat looks good.

Mini-meal at 10:00 a.m. (four hours later): a hard boiled egg or two plus some more slaw

Meal Two at 12:30 p.m.: up your portion of protein salad to a full cup; add enough veggies to make 2-3 full cups; add another fat source if needed for satiety (not nuts, eat something else like olives maybe)

Mini-meal at 3:00 p.m.: this looks good, if you need a mini-meal compose it like this

Meal Three: Up your eggs to 3 or 4; make sure your veggie amounts are 3 cups; add a separate fat source (cooking fat does not count)

You have been undereating, and your body is giving you very clear and accurate signals that it needs more food. Instead of trying to fight off what you're identifying as cravings, re-identify those as your hunger cues (you get different hunger cues on Whole30 because you don't have massive sugar crashes). I suspect it will take a couple of days of eating substantially better before you will be able to back off of the mini-meals. It's truly essential to eat a very generous Meal One to start off your day. If that doesn't happen, you're spending the rest of your day trying to catch up, and you end up hungry and exhausted and stressed.

Your body is right. Really. Eat up.

Archived