Here We Go Again!

Georgia Kaye

2/29/16

Happy Leap Day!

Back to Whole 30, for the second time this year.  I'm hoping that by exercising regularly, I'll have better results from a weight loss point of view than I did with my first one. 

Meals:

1.         Three eggs, slice of prosciutto, chopped bell pepper & onion.

2.         Tuna salad, made with olives for fat, and steamed broccoli.  I need to get to the grocery store!

3.         Pork chops breaded with almond flour, in a dijon and coconut milk sauce;  carrots glazed in clarified butter and fresh lime juice, green beans, one dried fig.  It was delicious, probably my favorite Whole 30 meal.

Exercise:

Only housecleaning today.  I did get over 10,000 steps in by walking a lot between the laundry room and the closets.

Beverages:

3 cups of black coffee

at least two quarts of water

cup of green tea

glass of kombucha

Day one is in the books!

Day 2..Tuesday, March 1

I went to bed around 10:00 last night, even though I didn't feel sleepy.  It took me a while to fall asleep, and I woke up multiple times during the night.  I remember this from the beginning of my first W30, and hope it will pass quickly.

And today is supposed to be hangover day, not kill all the things!  Man, am I cranky!!

Meals:

1.         Three eggs scrambled with some nutritonal yeast and topped with a couple of slices of prosciutto, leftover broccoli.  I had to force the eggs down, and probably only ate 2 1/2 of them.

2.         Tuna ceviche on a bed of greens. 

3.         Grass-fed hamburger steak with a mushroom, onion, pepper, and balsamic vinegar sauce;   roasted broccoli; cauliflower/potato mash.

Exercise:

Again nothing formal, just walking while grocery shopping.

Beverages:

3 cups of black coffee

cup of green tea

glass of kombucha

Day Three.  Wednesday, March 2

Went to bed around 11 last night and slept very well.  I woke up a few times, but went back to sleep without any problems.

I realized while I was eating lunch that I had forgotten to take any measurements before I started!  I'll do that after lunch. 

Meals:

1.         Small leftover hamburger steak with mushroom, onion, pepper, and balsamic vinegar sauce, topped with a poached egg.  Leftover broccoli.

3.         Pan-seared flounder fillets, curried  roasted veggies (cauliflower, mushrooms, red bell pepper, broccoli, sweet potato).

Exercise:

Again nothing formal, Hubby has a cold and didn't want to work out, and it's pouring rain outside.

Beverages:

3 cups of black coffee

cup of green tea

glass of kombucha

Day Four.  Thursday, March 3

Went to bed around 11, had trouble falling asleep as hubby's cold makes him snort.  I woke up once with a horrible leg cramp, but other than that, I slept pretty well until almost 7.

While vegetables have always been a huge part of my diet, my preparation of them has usually been pretty simple:  steamed or roasted with some olive oil, salt and pepper, and maybe a grating of parmesan and lemon zest.  I often make a pan sauce with the fond from the meat pan, and since wine and whole butter are out on W30, I've been struggling with adding flavor to my meals.  Last night, I made a nice curry sauce for my veggies, and they were the star.  I just took most of a can of coconut milk (I had used three tablespoons for my dijon sauce on Monday), added some curry powder, garam masala, cumin, cayenne pepper, and fish sauce;  reduced it to a nice, thick consistency, and folded the roasted veggies into it.  Delicious, and some of it did end up on the flounder.  I need to remember this idea.

Meals:

1.         Three sunny-side-eggs over a potato and veggie hash (bell pepper, onion, potato, prosciutto).

3.         Unstuffed cabbage.  Basically, I made a casserole with ground turkey, cabbage, cauliflower, marinara sauce, and spices.  The cabbage didn't really get fully cooked, but I enjoyed the crunchiness.  I made a cashew "sour cream" to put on mine, while hubby got cheese and real sour cream on his.  The cashew sour cream didn't taste particularly good by itself, but when mixed in with the casserole it was pretty good, and gave me my added fat for the meal.

Exercise:

Beverages:

3 cups of black coffee

cup of green tea

glass of kombucha

Day Five.  Friday, March 4

It's really difficult to judge portion sizes when you're eating a casserole.  I thought I had made four servings of my unstuffed cabbage casserole, but two platesful didn't use up half of the casserole.  A couple of hours after I finished dinner, I got that hungry feeling.  I didn't succumb, but I think that my meal was so veggie-heavy that I didn't get a full serving of protein on my plate. 

Went to bed around 10:30 and slept well.

Meals:

1.         Three sunny-side-up eggs over a potato and veggie hash (bell pepper, onion, potato, prosciutto).

3.         Roasted turkey breast, leftover cauliflower/potato mash, leftover curried veggies.

Exercise:

Just a lot of errand running and housework stuff

Beverages:

3 cups of black coffee

almost two quarts of water

cup of green tea

glass of kombucha

Day Six, Saturday, March 5

This weekend is going to be a challenge, but I think I'm prepared.  We're participating in an SCCA Solo event weekend which will result in two meals each day eaten either in the car or on the run.

So here's the plan:

Meals:

1:         Veggie hash (made yesterday and eaten at room temperature), two Epic Bison & Cranberry bars, olives if I need them

2:         Tuna ceviche, cucumber, dried apples

3:         Leftover unstuffed cabbage casserole

That was the plan.  I mixed one of the bison bars into the veggie hash and ate it riding down the road.  I never ate the second bison bar.  I also had planned on eating the entire cucumber, but only ate about half of it.

Beverages:

Three cups of black coffee

Nowhere near enough water

two glasses of kombucha

Exercise.  Walking, walking, standing, running, more walking.  My fitbit regestered 13,322 steps at 6:30.

Tomorrow is another day of much the same.

Day Seven, Sunday, March 6

Day two of the SCCA Solo event.

Meals

1:         Veggie hash with one epic bison bar

2:         Tuna ceviche, cucumber, dried apples

3:         Leftover unstuffed cabbage casserole

Beverages:

a couple of bottles of water, still not enough

two glasses of kombucha

Exercise.  Walking, walking, walking.  My fitbit registered 15,545 steps at 6:30.

I'm proud that I made it through this weekend and stayed compliant.  I probably didn't eat enough, but I was so busy that I never felt hungry.

Day Eight, Monday March 7

Back to normal after a whirlwind weekend.  I didn't sleep as well as I had hoped I would, but still got a decent night's sleep.

It sure is nice to again have the time in the kitchen to prepare proper meals.

Oddly, I got hungry about 11 AM, which is unusual for me on Whole 30.  I chugged some water and kept myself busy until lunchtime.

Meals:

1:         Veggie hash with three sunny-side-up eggs and a slice of prosciutto

2:         Tuna ceviche on a bed of greens

3:         Salmon roasted with broccoli, half a sweet potato, 2 small dried figs

Beverages:

cup of green tea

one glass of kombucha

Exercise: Housework and some yard work.  The formal exercise thing is still not happening for me.  It's no one's fault but my own.  I still got over 10,000 steps.

Day Nine, Tuesday, March 8

WARNING:  Intentionally non-compliant meal

Meals:

1:         Three sunny-side-up eggs atop a small serving of leftover roasted broccoli, topped with a slice of prosciutto.  I finally decided to bake a bunch of prosciutto so that it would be ready for me without having to cook it each day.

2:         My husband and I are running errands today, so a restaurant lunch was required.  After some research, I decided on Chipotle.  I had planned on a salad with Carnitas, salsas, and guacamole.  However, it was an absolutely gorgeous day and I decided I wanted to eat on the patio of a favorite restaurant, so my meal was not compliant.  First of all, I had a glass of wine.  Then I had a salad with roasted peppers, avocado, and grilled salmon on top.  The non-compliant part of the salad was a tiny bit of corn and black bean salsa, and the dressing, which I may have used half a teaspoon of.  I did have them leave off the cheese, I gave the croissant to my husband, and left the tortilla chips on the plate.  Since this is not my first Whole 30, and eliminating all the bad foods really didn't help any of the issues I had hoped they would; I'm allowing myself more leeway this time.  My only purpose is weight loss.  I guess I shouldn't call it Whole 30, but I'm staying on plan for the greatest part of the time.

3:         Pork tenderloin, roasted cauliflower with lemon-tahini sauce, green beans.  The tenderloin was leftover and reheated (I had frozen one when I cooked two).  It was pretty bad, and even with the chimichurri sauce I added, I couldn't eat more than a couple of slices.

Beverages:

cup of green tea

one glass of kombucha

Exercise:   Walking while shopping, cleaning the boat to get her ready to put in the water.  Over 13,000 steps.

Day Ten, Wednesday, March 10

I guess I'm running a few days behind, because around two this afternoon I had the intense urge for a nap.  I never nap, but I could easily sleep for a couple of hours.

Meals:

1:         Three sunny-side-up eggs atop a small serving of leftover roasted broccoli, topped with a slice of prosciutto.  Having the prosciutto cooked is a real time-saver, and it's crispier when baked.

2:         Tuna ceviche on a bed of greens.

3:         Grass-fed ground beef with mushrooms, onions, and peppers in a gravy made with chicken stock thickened with almond flour; cauliflower/potato mash, roasted brussels sprouts.

Beverages:

cup of green tea

one glass of kombucha

Exercise:   Walking

Day Eleven, Thursday, March 11

I was so tired when I went to bed last night and I slept really well.

Meals:

1:         Clean out the fridge leftovers:  salmon, brussels sprouts, rotel, prosciutto, one egg, all mixed together.  Tastes better than it sounds.  Not enough veggies.  Around 10:30 I was really hungry, so I had about half a serving of olives.  I'm not adding any fat, other than cooking fat, to my breakfast, so tomorrow I'm going to have the olives with breakfast.

3:         Chicken sausages, sautéed cabbage, roasted butternut squash.

Beverages:

cup of green tea

one glass of kombucha

Exercise:   Yard work

Day Twelve, Friday, March 12

I'm not as committed to completing an entire Whole 30 as I was the first time, and frankly, I don't think I'm losing weight.  I feel quite bloated today, to the point where it's actually hard for me to bend over and pick up the cuttings from my yard work.  The concept does make sense to me, but if I don't see any tangible benefits, and don't lose weight, then it's not something that makes sense for me.  I'm considering cutting back on my portion sizes because I'm clearly consuming too many calories.  If I weren't, then I'd be losing weight.

Meals:

1:         Hash made with half a chicken sausage link, sauteed brussels sprouts, butternut squash, mushroom, with two eggs on top.  I didn't add the olives, and wasn't hungry until lunchtime.

3:         Leftover ground beef with mushrooms and onions over leftover cauli/potato mash.  Broccoli rabe sauteed in garlic oil and garnished with garlic chips.

Beverages:

cup of green tea

one glass of kombucha

Day Thirteen, Saturday, March 13

Based on yesterday's feelings, I decided to weigh first thing this morning.  I've lost a total of 2/10 of a pound in two weeks.  When combined with my first Whole 30, followed by ten days of vacation and lots of food and drink, I'm 3.8 pounds below the weight when I started the first one in mid-January.  This is simply not acceptable to me, and I'm going to have to change something.

I do know that I'm still bloated, so some of the weight may go.  Still, I'm going to reduce my portion sizes and see if I can see some results.

And while this is my personal log, I do know that people are reading, so I just want to repeat that this isn't my first Whole 30.  I followed the first one for the full 30 days without breaking any rules, lost five pounds, and saw no changes to the digestive problems I had before I started.  If I had achieved other benefits, I'd be more willing to keep going.  And I still haven't decided to quit;  I'm just going to cut back a bit on my portion sizes for now, and have the occasional splurge meal.

I think the concept of Whole 30 is excellent, and I'll continue with many of the changes I've made, such as not snacking between meals.  Even though my snacks were always "healthy" (fruit, string cheese, etc.), I did still pop something into my mouth whenever I felt even the slightest hunger pang.  I never ate a lot of sugar, and I think the plan works better for people who had a sugar problem.  I'm definitely happy that I've reduced my wine and alcohol consumption, and am quite surprised that doing that hasn't brought about more weight loss.

Time will tell, and I welcome any comments that anyone would like to make.

Meals:

1:         Hash made with half a chicken sausage link and sauteed brussels sprouts, with only one egg on top. 

3:         Corvina Vera Cruz, rutabaga, steamed broccoli

Beverages:

cup of green tea

one glass of kombucha

Archived