Starting Saturday 5th March in UK

SharynF

Numbers? I am not sure as I don't have a strict food budget and we rarely eat out. I hardly ever buy processed food either. For me Whole30 is mainly about cutting out dairy (skin issues), cake, bread and hidden sugars (binge issues).

But Day 24? Hey we are doing well. This time next week I will have weighed and measured and will be waiting for the husband to come home and take some 'after' photos.  I shall then carry on doing what I am doing now but cutting back on the carbs as I am pretty sure my daily portion is bigger than meal template suggests  :o My long term aim is to live high fat lo carb and shift the rest of my weight. I may consider combining the W30 way of eating with my preferred regime of alternate day fasting. We shall see - but no experiments until after my holiday in May. 

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 23/Easter was much harder than I had planned for. I think mainly because my aunt had some of my favorite candies in bowls throughout her home. Usually when I see temptations I would have to pay for them or I can walk away from them. This was a lot tougher. Not to mention that despite bringing one side dish, I could hardly eat anything. I went home and had a VERY STRONG urge to snack so I figured that meant I needed some actual meat/veggies. It all worked out ok but definitely the most temptation I've dealt with since Day 1 (surprisingly). I think due to the Easter temptation, I had wild dreams last night about going off W30 for a big bowl of ice cream, etc. It was extremely vivid and when I woke up I had a panicked moment before I realized it was a dream.

Just curious, does anyone else ever feel like it's actually difficult to eat enough food in one meal? Not sure if I get bored easily or just hate chewing but sometimes it's a real slog to finish my meal, though I know I'll be hungry in a few hours if I don't. On some other part of the forum a user suggested taking a break if you have a hard time so I will take little 10 min breaks if I need to. I'm sure having had green beans for breakfast this morning didn't help since they require so much chewing.

Day 23/Easter was much harder than I had planned for. I think mainly because my aunt had some of my favorite candies in bowls throughout her home. Usually when I see temptations I would have to pay for them or I can walk away from them. This was a lot tougher. Not to mention that despite bringing one side dish, I could hardly eat anything. I went home and had a VERY STRONG urge to snack so I figured that meant I needed some actual meat/veggies. It all worked out ok but definitely the most temptation I've dealt with since Day 1 (surprisingly). I think due to the Easter temptation, I had wild dreams last night about going off W30 for a big bowl of ice cream, etc. It was extremely vivid and when I woke up I had a panicked moment before I realized it was a dream.

Just curious, does anyone else ever feel like it's actually difficult to eat enough food in one meal? Not sure if I get bored easily or just hate chewing but sometimes it's a real slog to finish my meal, though I know I'll be hungry in a few hours if I don't. On some other part of the forum a user suggested taking a break if you have a hard time so I will take little 10 min breaks if I need to. I'm sure having had green beans for breakfast this morning didn't help since they require so much chewing.

mmh, no, I can't say I have trouble finishing my meals even though, when I switched from snacking between meals to just having 3 main meals it seemed like a lot to eat for breakfast and lunch at first. I think keeping it interesting by having multiple different flavors may help with that?

As for your Easter dinner, maybe your family would have been more accommodating if you had asked? In my case we had a brunch and we brought our own mashed potato hash browns and bacon along with the French Toast casserole that was off limits for us. At the same time we asked my mother in law if she could make eggs for us with olive oil which she did as well as providing avocados and someone else brought an unsweetened fruit salad so we had plenty to eat.

Numbers? I am not sure as I don't have a strict food budget and we rarely eat out. I hardly ever buy processed food either. For me Whole30 is mainly about cutting out dairy (skin issues), cake, bread and hidden sugars (binge issues).

But Day 24? Hey we are doing well. This time next week I will have weighed and measured and will be waiting for the husband to come home and take some 'after' photos.  I shall then carry on doing what I am doing now but cutting back on the carbs as I am pretty sure my daily portion is bigger than meal template suggests  :o My long term aim is to live high fat lo carb and shift the rest of my weight. I may consider combining the W30 way of eating with my preferred regime of alternate day fasting. We shall see - but no experiments until after my holiday in May. 

Sharyn, what's the science behind the alternate day fasting concept? It seems counterproductive to have your body in starvation mode for full days at a time in order to lose weight, or is that not your goal? I have read that when in starvation mode your body will significantly reduce the use of energy and your brain will tell you to be as inactive as possible.

mmh, no, I can't say I have trouble finishing my meals even though, when I switched from snacking between meals to just having 3 main meals it seemed like a lot to eat for breakfast and lunch at first. I think keeping it interesting by having multiple different flavors may help with that?

As for your Easter dinner, maybe your family would have been more accommodating if you had asked? In my case we had a brunch and we brought our own mashed potato hash browns and bacon along with the French Toast casserole that was off limits for us. At the same time we asked my mother in law if she could make eggs for us with olive oil which she did as well as providing avocados and someone else brought an unsweetened fruit salad so we had plenty to eat.

Our Easter gathering is 20+ people so I just didn't feel like making a thing about it. My aunt throwing it knows and did tell me what the menu was in advance. If it were a smaller group (as when I'm with my nuclear family) I do notify them and ask for some accommodation.

As for the large meals - I think you're probably right about the flavors. This has been the hardest when I think I'm eating something that I personally find a little bland. Better whip up some more sauces!

Sharyn, what's the science behind the alternate day fasting concept? It seems counterproductive to have your body in starvation mode for full days at a time in order to lose weight, or is that not your goal? I have read that when in starvation mode your body will significantly reduce the use of energy and your brain will tell you to be as inactive as possible.

Starvation mode is a myth put about by the 'diet' industry. ADF has long term health benefits, I do want to lose weight but I am also concerned with my long term health. Here is one link https://authoritynutrition.com/10-health-benefits-of-intermittent-fasting/

I haven't shared any recipes so far but this one was just too good to keep to myself. After the whole Easter debacle I was feeling a lot of cravings/triggers today for things I miss, mostly sweets. I got home tonight and decided to try a sauce recipe I've had in an open browser for weeks. It turned out delicious and really didn't taste like a substitute for non-paleo - it tastes like the real thing.

The whole link has cool sauces but the one I tried is Basil and Prosciutto Cream Sauce:

http://whole30.com/2014/08/mayo-ghee-sauces/

I sauteed some zoodles and some compliant hot italian beef sausage and poured this over and it was super satisfying.

Also, in case you haven't noticed, Whole Foods (at least in the US) lists all their meat ingredients on their meat counter. That has been awesome for me because it's made getting compliant sausage MUCH easier.

@Sharyn, I took a look at the link you sent. Based on what I have read in It starts with food, the body will only be able to increase the time spent on maintenance and repair if there is no chronic inflammation going on independent of incoming food. So maybe this concept works for a body without that inflammation. I would still think that fasting puts some extra stress on your body.

. I would still think that fasting puts some extra stress on your body.

The exact opposite - it relieves stress and certainly I like it because my appetite diminishes. This has always been a problem for me .No off switch!! 

I hope you don't mind me posting on your thread; I just wondered if you have found a W30 compliant Prosciutto in the UK? The Basil and Prosciutto Cream Sauce sounds amazing and I am needing something amazing to relieve my growing boredom with heaps of green veg. I am on day 16 and would like to do a W60 if possible.

thanks

I hope you don't mind me posting on your thread; I just wondered if you have found a W30 compliant Prosciutto in the UK? The Basil and Prosciutto Cream Sauce sounds amazing and I am needing something amazing to relieve my growing boredom with heaps of green veg. I am on day 16 and would like to do a W60 if possible.

thanks

I will say that, while the prosciutto was yummy, I don't think it's necessary for this to be a really delicious sauce. Just leave it out and make it! You'll be happy you did :)

If you want ideas to liven up the never ending veg then check out the Well Fed cook books. The Broccoli with lemon was a favourite on my first Whole30 and your comments have reminded me if it. I need to get the books out! 

Yeah, almost there!  I actually am glad Sharyn did a UK thread because I am new the country and need some good ideas.  But actually, I am absolutely in love with Jamie Oliver's 30 minute meals, as most of his meals are paleo.  My dvr is filling up with all his recipes.

It looks like we are here in the UK to stay, as my husband signed the contract and will be here on April 9.  And, the rest of my "stuff" is arriving from the US on April 4, so I finally will have all of my cooking implements.  Now to invest in a step-down transformer so I can use my vitamix and kitchenaid.

Easter was hard but I am hanging in there.  Plain grilled burgers and lettuce/tomato salad at an American diner today.  I made pork chops in the Instant Pot yesterday so had carnitas with cabbage for breakfast today.

After checking out a few of the recipes, I've just ordered both Well Fed books. thanks for your suggestions ladies.

Sharon or Tracy, have you managed to find coconut aminos in a store in the UK? I only thought of it after completing my amazon order for books and don't want to pay £4.95 postage.

After checking out a few of the recipes, I've just ordered both Well Fed books. thanks for your suggestions ladies.

Sharon or Tracy, have you managed to find coconut aminos in a store in the UK? I only thought of it after completing my amazon order for books and don't want to pay £4.95 postage.

Only ever seen compliant coconut aminos on Amazon. Hugely expensive though

Day 27. Almost done. What's your plan for reintroduction? I've changed mine multiple times already and am still unsure. The Fast Track version scares me but the slow roll version contains the risk of having to pass on "worth it items" that come along if they combine several noncompliant food groups.

Meal plan today:

M1: steak, potato salad and roasted beets and carrots.

M2: mason jar salad with a grapefruit and some nuts

M3: Banger sausage patties with sweet potato mash and a side salad

I am now making a concious effort to keep the amount of fruit we eat down to the 1 to 2 servings a day they recommend. I have always liked fruit and am trying to send the sugar dragon into more of a hibernation mode.

The coconut aminos are about $7 for a small

bottle at health stores in the US. Not exactly cheap either but it sounds like definitely more readily available.

Good luck!

It's about £9 or £10 a small bottle here. Dearer than whisky! 

@bhenningsen  Mark Sissons of Marks Daily Apple says that fruit has no place in the diet of someone who needs to lose weight. But I like it too and eat some most days. Trying to stick to just berries this week in the run up to weighing and measuring next week for my 30 day results. 

Reintroduction - nothing planned yet as I would like to get 60 days under my belt.

I will then only reintro the things I want to add back into my diet. That will be cheese, cream (for coffee), butter (makes restaurant eating easier) and lentils (our favourite meal is sausage and lentil casserole). I am hoping to avoid grains. 

I am also hoping to stick to the meal templates for the forseeable future - loads of greenery three times a day! I will relax over commercial salad dressings as I eat out rarely so the occasional sugar in a spoonful of dressing shouldn't do any harm. 

The coconut aminos are about $7 for a small

bottle at health stores in the US. Not exactly cheap either but it sounds like definitely more readily available.

Good luck!

Thanks for this. My son and his wife are visiting her family in the US in May so I will get them to bring me back a bottle or two.

Archived