Starting Saturday 5th March in UK

SharynF

Hi, just popping by to say Tesco do a finest Parma ham prosciutto that is only pork and salt, no preservatives or dextrose. Also our independent health food shop here in the East Midlands sells coconut aminos for about £6 I think it was. Well done to you all I'm on day 18 today.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope you don't mind me posting on your thread; I just wondered if you have found a W30 compliant Prosciutto in the UK? The Basil and Prosciutto Cream Sauce sounds amazing and I am needing something amazing to relieve my growing boredom with heaps of green veg. I am on day 16 and would like to do a W60 if possible.

thanks

Compliant prosciutto is easy to find in the UK. I've bought from Lidl and Tesco. It's generally just pork and salt and sometimes nitrates (which are fine for your whole 30).

Day 28 - almost there for those of us that started on March 5th. 

Today I have been doing one of those jobs I have been putting off for almost a year. Transferring bookmarked recipes from my old to my new laptop. I have found some beauties and I'll share some links later. Some great ideas for veggies and sweet potatoes, most Whole 30 but some that are easily adaptable by replacing butter with ghee and leaving out the cheese sprinkled on top. 

It's freezing cold here again so I am having an indoor day. Hubby went out on his bike this morning and came home with blue cheeks and lips. Crazy man. But I love him  :wub:

Hi, just popping by to say Tesco do a finest Parma ham prosciutto that is only pork and salt, no preservatives or dextrose. Also our independent health food shop here in the East Midlands sells coconut aminos for about £6 I think it was. Well done to you all I'm on day 18 today.

Compliant prosciutto is easy to find in the UK. I've bought from Lidl and Tesco. It's generally just pork and salt and sometimes nitrates (which are fine for your whole 30).

Thanks ladies,  :)

Getting ready for some inspired cooking. No more protein + small mountain of veg for me..

ps: made mayo yesterday but blended in lots of fresh herbs, turned out vibrant green. Went off in a daydream about setting up a cottage industry producing Rainbow Mayo. Might try adding beetroot next to make pink mayo. What do you think?

Thanks ladies,  :)

Getting ready for some inspired cooking. No more protein + small mountain of veg for me..

ps: made mayo yesterday but blended in lots of fresh herbs, turned out vibrant green. Went off in a daydream about setting up a cottage industry producing Rainbow Mayo. Might try adding beetroot next to make pink mayo. What do you think?

I love the idea of making rainbow mayo. One of my best efforts was using raspberry vinegar. No colour change but the subtle fruity flavour was lovely. My last three attempts at mayo have failed so I am using a lot less as it is shop bought with sunflower oil. Replaced it with Good Oil for dressing salad leaves. 

Day 29 - we can do this. No falling off now! I am so pleased that I have stuck with this as the past couple of years have been tough for me and I haven't managed to stay at anything for very long. The last conversation I had with my mum (she had dementia and died in December) she asked me if I ever went on a diet. Don't you love mums? So now I can say 'yes mum, and it's working'.

Last night I cooked a Potato Leek and Apple Pie. This was so good with some Lebanese style beef and lamb kofta but would also be great with pork. And I have just fried some up as bubble and squeak to go with my lunch. Great with a couple of fried eggs on top :D Recipe time kids! 

Potato Leek and Apple Pie

Preheat oven to 180C fan - a bit hotter for conventional

2 tbsp olive oil

1kg potatoes, thickly sliced (I didn't peel them)

2 leeks, thickly sliced

half a cabbage, finely sliced (I used savoy but any would work)

1 large cooking apple, peeled, cored and sliced

about ½ pt water or stock ( I used water with mixed herbs and garlic powder stirred in)

2 tbsps ghee

3 tbsp sesame seeds

S&P

Pour oil into a large ovenproof dish and coat the bottom and sides

Arrange half the potato slices in the bottom of the dish.

Mix together the leeks, cabbage and apple, season with S&P and put on top of the potatoes. 

Pour in the liquid to about ½" depth

Dot evenly with ghee 

Top with remaining potatoes and sprinkle the sesame seeds over. 

Bake for 40-50 minutes until the potatoes are cooked and the sesame seeds nicely browned. 

Serves 4-6

I forgot my meals

M1 streaky bacon, fried eggs, rocket, Good Oil

M2 potato pie as above with 2 Lebanese kofta + Good Oil

M3 ratatouille with extra olive oil, slow cooked chicken. 

I had a Nakd bar mid afternoon as I was hungry - did a lot of walking this morning on one of my tours around Exeter. 

I cleared out my fridge crisper drawer this evening in prep for big shop tomorrow, so M3 was beef mince, grated carrot, chard, brussel sprouts and spring onions all stir fried together in coconut oil with cumin and garlic. I ate it with a spoon from a cereal bowl and it was like comfort food. I would have called this 'meal' a strange mixture but I've learned there's no such thing on W30, just compliant :-)

ps. have you noticed how much better grass fed beef tastes? Even plain mince is delicious.

Happy 30th day for tomorrow to those of you at the finish line. Super, super Well Done ! :)  :)  :) .

I forgot my meals

M1 streaky bacon, fried eggs, rocket, Good Oil

M2 potato pie as above with 2 Lebanese kofta + Good Oil

M3 ratatouille with extra olive oil, slow cooked chicken. 

I had a Nakd bar mid afternoon as I was hungry - did a lot of walking this morning on one of my tours around Exeter. 

Sorry, me again.. What does Good Oil taste like? I assume it is Hemp oil? 

Sorry, me again.. What does Good Oil taste like? I assume it is Hemp oil? 

It is hemp oil and it's got a nutty but not overpowering flavour. I really like it on its own drizzled over most things but it makes a good French dressing with ACV and lemon juice. 

My real favourite oil for drizzling is avocado oil but it's a bit too expensive to slosh around!

Woo hoo - Day 30 and feeling good. You know they say you have to wait to the very end of a Whole 30 to get the results? Well yesterday my really tight black jeans started to feel baggy around my bottom and the top of my thighs and my old friend 'the gaping waistband at the back that could hold my lunch pack' is back. Now that irritates the hell out of me but it is so good to have it back! I was born with a round beach ball of a bottom so I know I will always have this problem with shop bought trousers. It was the main reason I made my own clothes for so many years. 

Meals

M1  bubble and squeak, scrambled eggs, bacon (with hubby which was nice)

M2 large salad, Kabanos (little polish sausages from Sainsburys), nuts and mayo 

M3 chicken, ratatouille and maybe sweet potato mash. 

Tomorrow I measure myself - I am starting to think that I won't weigh myself in case I feel disappointed despite the looser clothes, slimmer face and flatter belly. And I will get hubby to replicate the original photos when he gets in from work. 

Have a great Day 30 if you are that far through and enjoy the journey if you're not quite there yet. 

:D

HELP PLEASE

I'm not sure if mods look on here but if they do can someone tell me how I can post a photo in a post? There is an icon to link an image but neither FB nor photobucket links are acceptable. I posted loads of photos last time (2013) but haven't been able to post one this time.  :angry:

HELP PLEASE

I'm not sure if mods look on here but if they do can someone tell me how I can post a photo in a post? There is an icon to link an image but neither FB nor photobucket links are acceptable. I posted loads of photos last time (2013) but haven't been able to post one this time.  :angry:

I use photobucket all the time - you need to use the 'direct link' option (the second one down IIRC).

Once you've got the link 'copied' then open the reply box & click on the little 'picture' icon (two to the left on the speech bubble) and a new window will open which will say 'image properties', right click and paste your picture link in there, and click ok.

That should do it  :)

I use photobucket all the time - you need to use the 'direct link' option (the second one down IIRC).

Once you've got the link 'copied' then open the reply box & click on the little 'picture' icon (two to the left on the speech bubble) and a new window will open which will say 'image properties', right click and paste your picture link in there, and click ok.

That should do it  :)

Thank you - I was using IMG link and the Image icon. I can share more plates now :) 

Hey, Sharyn - congratulations!!!!!!  Great job, and thank you so much for starting this thread.

The kids and I caught the dreaded norovirus this week.  My son got all the vomiting, I got to be caretaker and laundry maid.  We haven't been eating much of anything this week, but I did make it to Waitrose and bought a bunch of premade chicken stock.  (Didn't have the energy to make my own.)  So we've been drinking lots of chicken stock this week, and egg drop soup.  Didn't do so great on the vegetables.

Regarding reintroduction, I have done enough Whole30s to know that dairy triggers my fibromyalgia, so I don't reintroduce dairy.  The purpose of the slow re-introduction is to find out what your triggers are.  Been there, done that.

My husband is moving here for good in 6 days (Saturday), so I will be continuing my whole30 until at least then.  That said, when I am being "good", I stay Paleo as best I can.  I just feel better in that lifestyle.  And, I actually have lost quite a bit of weight during this combo Whole30/ Norovirus episode, which gives me great incentive to continue the whole30 (but thank goodness I'm almost over the virus).  Luckily all I had was extreme weakness and fever.......

Oh Tracy what a week for you. I am pleased you are on the mend and it sounds as if you did the best you could with the chicken stock and eggs. Make sure you are all fit and well for your husband's arrival. Exciting times ahead for you as you settle into your new lives. 

Day 31 and I went out for a meal for the first time since I started this over a month ago. I ordered gammon, egg and pineapple with the standard pub 'chips & peas'. I didn't eat one chip or one pea. And I was craving some greens and fat by the end of it. I came home and had a bowl of coconut milk with some chopped nuts - what a lovely change in texture and mouth feel that was. 

I measured myself this morning but with a different tape measure as I couldn't find the one I used last time. I am a bit disappointed with the numbers but I realise that I have lost fat from places other than those I can measure. My belly is flatter, the top of my boobs no longer show above my bra, the folds down my back when I am wearing a swimsuit have gone, as has the top of my buttocks - what was a flat shelf is now a gentle slope. 

I am not weighing myself as I know I must have lost weigh but with 70+ lbs to lose I don't want to be disheartened after a very successful Whole 30. 

Onwards!!!

Oh dear - my photo seems to have frightened you all away. 

Day 32 and I had spinach, hemp oil, bacon and egg for breakfast. I am not sleeping well at all and have zero energy today. I hope someone has my share of tiger blood and is doing all the things I hoped to be doing by now!

Very visible progress Sharon! Are you continuing on?

And if you're in search of that Tiger Blood be sure to eat lots of oily fish....!!

Thank you - and Yes - today is Day 32 and all good so far :) Oily fish it shall be next week (I've done this week's shopping already).

Sharon, Definite loss of inches around waistline, congratulations. I haven't got your share of Tiger Blood. I seem to have lost my new found morning mojo this week. Feeling really tired the last two days and been irritable at work. Not sure what's up with me. I had a large sweet potato with lunch to make sure I was getting enough root veg. Despite having a fridge stuffed with meat and fresh veg, tonight's tea was Rod & Ben's Beetroot, Spinach and Kale soup, bought on the way home and a chicken breast wrapped in proscuitto and baked in oven.  I'll  have to try more oily fish as well. Have you tried the frozen mackerel fillets from Waitrose? Very quick and easy to cook and tasty. 

Changing the subject, I have always had dry skin but over last couple of weeks the backs of my hands were becoming increasingly dry and itchy. I knew it had to be something I was eating more of than before, but I had no idea what it could be until I read on another part of the forum that someone else suffers very dry skin with tomatoes. I was eating them daily but havn't eaten any for last 4 days and hey presto, no more dry itchy skin. I'm going to eliminate all nightshade foods now and then slowly reintroduce them one at a time, apart from tom's. I think that this forum is fab, 

Are you continuing with W30 or are you planning to reintroduce other food groups?

Good job, Sharyn.  It took us a week, but I can say that I have rejoined the living.

Our shipment of all our household goods arrived from California.  I look like an advertisement for Costco!  But actually, I am glad I do, because they sell a lot more spices in bulk than I have found here.  It will be a lot easier for me to cook all my favorite Whole30 recipes now that I have my "stuff".  I also received my step-down transformer so will be reving up the old Vitamix when I get the courage to try it.  If you hear a loud BOOM, you know I did it wrong.

Today I made a batch of my old standby Chocolate Chili and had that for dinner.  I'm not doing reintroduction.  What I am really happy about during this whole30 is that I got myself off of dairy.  I was so so so so achy for the past few months since I arrived in the UK.  The rain and cold were such a shock to my little California system, and I was leaning too heavy on the tea with milk to make me feel better.  Well, better it did NOT.  Even that small amount of dairy is enough to trigger my left hip to hurt, within an hour of ingestion.  I did an accidental experiment the other day.  I was walking around the house when suddenly I realized that my left hip hurt.  "How can it hurt?", I asked, knowing I was on a whole30.  Then I realized that I had fed my daughter yogurt and,without thinking, had eaten a spoonful of it.  So I know the correlation is real.

Hang in there.  If you are doing a whole60, I'll stay on.  Who here is staying on?

Tracy

tonight's tea was Rod & Ben's Beetroot, Spinach and Kale soup, bought on the way home 

Are you continuing with W30 or are you planning to reintroduce other food groups?

Are you in Devon? Rod and Ben's are just down the road from me. 

My grandpa was allergic to tomatoes - his hands used to break out whenever he got near them. He was a chef so it was difficult for him. 

And I am not reintroducing anything just yet. I would like to do a Whole 60 and then reintro cheese when we go on holiday on 13th May. There is not much else I am missing currently 

Archived