Daily Food Intake - Exclusively Breastfeeding a 4 month old

My daughter is 16 weeks old. I am exclusively breastfeeding. I started the Whole30 a couple of weeks ago. It's going really well and I'm enjoying it and feeling much better. Some days though I do feel quite hungry, say mid-morning and mid-afternoon. I'm not sure if I'm taking enough for breakfast and lunch, or whether I'm having the right amount and type of snacks. I would really love to get sample meal plans or get a sample breakdown of food intake for a typical day from someone who is in a similar position.

Thanks!

Jrustdc, a typical day for me would be.....

Breakfast: couple of slices of bacon, an egg and some tomatoes or an omlette plus half a grapefruit

Snack: Apple or some blueberries plus cup of tea / green tea

Lunch: Large salad with salmon, lettuce, olives, tomatoes, sauerkraut, carrot, beetroot

Snack: Handful of almonds and a banana

Dinner: Chicken fillet with roast sweet potato and a selection of other veg or bolognese with courgette noodles

Snack; Blueberries or raspberries

I would also try to drink at least 2 litres of water throughout the day. I sometimes struggle to think of a suitable snack in the afternoon. That's when I really feel like I could do with something more to eat.

What you are eating looks good, but you probably need to increase portion size and add in more healthy fats. With the Whole30 principles, you should start by increasing the fat and protein at your meals. Snacking can be an indicator that you aren't getting enough at mealtime, but when you snack the guidelines say to make it like a mini meal, with protein and fat as well as any carbs. Optimally you would also eat most at breakfast and lunch and less at dinner. It takes time and practice to get the balance right.

I don't see a lot of fat in what you listed, so that would be an easy place to start. You might also want to consider adding another egg or two at breakfast. A typical egg serving for a woman is 2-3 eggs. You are having bacon, but bacon doesn't have that much protein, I think (I rarely eat it myself so not really sure). I generally have some avocado with my eggs (so yummy) to get some fat and all the awesome benefits of avocados.

Without knowing the portion size on the salmon in your salad, it's hard to be sure, but there's not a whole lot to sustain you in your lunch. Consider adding any/all of the following: avocado, mayo-based dressing, hard boiled eggs, nuts, or a little (unsweetened) dried fruit to your salad.

If you make those additions to breakfast and lunch, your dinner looks fine. While you are working things out, hard boiled eggs are good, convenient snacks, or you can make paleo egg muffins (mini crustless quiches, really). Guacamole and vegetables are another snack option.

Staying hydrated is so important so keep that up. Enjoy your sweet girl and eat enough to keep both of you well-fed! :D

Thank you SO much for your very helpful reply. I can see where I was going wrong. Delighted to get your information before I go and do my weekly shop. I have to fly out now but I may be back later with more questions when I've digested the information (pardon the pun!!)

Thanks again.

Indigo x

I would also add...you may want to add in some more carby vegetables- like sweet potatoes or winter squash. I'm getting ready to start my second Whole 30 (made it to day 21 with my last) and I think my biggest issue was not eating enough carbs. I'm also nursing my baby exclusively and I was STARVING all the time, even when I ate plenty of fat. :)

Archived