Day 31 - Not sure about how I feel - need troubleshooting

A few things about me:

- I am nursing an 18 month old.

- I started a modified Whole 30 on January 4th, (By modified I mean that I ate all the right kind of foods and eliminated all the wrong kinds, didn't follow a template but I allowed myself 3 cheat meals total.)  I lost 9 lbs this way.

- I started the actual Whole30 on February 1st.

- I work out everyday - but not strenuous everyday.  Some days are tabata type, and some days are strength training, some days are CF type (burpees, pushups, box jumps) and some days are stretching/yoga type. (All with my own body weight and maximum 8 lb dumbells)  I am doing a 30 day work out program ( The Betty Rocker www.makefatcrychallenge.com)  that only take 15-20 mins a day. Some WODs I feel like dying, but some I feel like I could do another round or two and some, like I said are yoga type designed to recover from the previous day's intense WOD.

I drink minimum 80-95 oz of water a day.

Wake up: 7 AM

I eat the same breakfast and lunch everyday:

M1 - 8:15 AM - large green tipped banana OR green apple with 3-4 Tbs of sunbutter and 1 egg muffin (bacon, spinach, onions, mushrooms, coconut flour, and coconut milk  (veggies sautéed in coconut oil before being mixed in with eggs)

M2 - 12 - 1 PM - heaping mixed greens salad with chicken salad (chicken thighs, paleo mayo, cilantro, green onions, small honeycrisp apple) topped with 1/4 cup of cucumber and 1/4 of an avocado and 2 Tbs of Tessemae's lemon garlic dressing.

M3 - 3ish PM - I actually get pretty hungry between M2 and Pre workout so I usually have anywhere from 1/4 -1/3 cup of pecans or 3-4 full sheets of seaweed

Pre-workout note:  I only eat this if I have an intense work out ahead

4:45 PM What I eat:  1/2 - 1 Epic bar (Beef, bacon, apple) more nuts (closed handful)

Work out: 5:30 ish PM

Post workout note: I only eat this if I completed an intense work out

5:45 PM What I eat: A couple bites of Epic bar or a couple bites of sardines, 1/4 cup of sweet potato

Dinner: 7:00 PM

A list of typical dinners:

Braised oxtail with onions and carrots

Meatloaf with sautéed green beans

Paleoyaki chicken wings with sautéed spinach and mushrooms

Baked dry rub pork ribs with sautéed Brussels sprouts

Portabella mushroom bunned burger topped with bacon, lettuce, avocado and paleo mayo

So typing this all out, I feel like I might have been eating too much...but it's all so confusing because I don't know if my work outs warrant the Pre and Post meals but I also don't want to cheat myself out of muscle recovery and strength building.

I know I'm getting stronger and I see muscle definition that I didn't have before but I still have a "belly".  Mostly lower abdomen flab.  I know that is partly due to having a baby, but am just wondering what I can do for the next 30 days that will help shed that fat.  I'm going to continue with my work outs as well.

Thanks for listening and your advice!

• Moderators

You're not eating too much... you may be eating too much fruit and nuts, but overall, especially for someone nursing, you are not eating enough.

Your breakfast is fruit and nut heavy and when eggs are your sole source of protein, it's as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping, so you would ideally be eating at least 3 of those muffins.  You want 1-3 cups of veggies in your breakfast as well so definitely Meal 1 can use some work.

Meal 2 is hard to tell portions but remember we want 1-2 palms of protein and 1-3 cups of veggies... more if it's salad greens as after they're chewed down, they're basically nothing.

You list a handful of nuts as a Meal3... if you're hungry, which it is no doubt you are, as you're not eating enough for a nursing woman, then we want you to eat either a mini meal (at least 2 of the 3 macros... protein, fat, veg) or eat a full meal.

Your preworkout meal looks good.. ditch the sardines (fatty fish) in the post workout meal for a lean protein... 

It's impossible to tell what your portions are of your dinners but again, please look at the template below and match your plates to the template.  

Nutrition is cummulative and if you're not eating enough, your body will hold on to everything...

As far as your belly, you can't target weightloss so it's not possible for us to give you anything to 'do' for the next 30 days to get rid of it... just eat 3-4 meals a day following the template... that's really where the magic is!

• Moderators

I deleted your other post... as per forum rules, please do not cross post in multiple topics.  If you want something moved to a header you feel may be a better fit, a moderator can do that for you.

Thanks for your quick reply - I double posted in "Troubleshooting", I hope that's okay.

So I should try eating 3 muffins plus veggies, and ditch the morning fruit/sunbutter combo? 

I think that M2 does fit the template as far as protein amount goes (1 1/2 cups of chicken salad) but I had no idea about the salad greens being broken down to nothing but that makes total sense. I will start bringing left overs for lunch.

Dinners definitely fit the template as I feel most secure in this meal as far as meeting all of the guidelines.

Basically I'm doing too much fruit/fat, not enough substantial veggies and a poor M3 option.  Good to know! Thanks!

I'll take your advice with these tweaks to see how it goes.

• Moderators

Thanks for your quick reply - I double posted in "Troubleshooting", I hope that's okay.

So I should try eating 3 muffins plus veggies, and ditch the morning fruit/sunbutter combo?  Yes... but add a different fat than nut butter to your meal (mayo, avocado, olives)

I think that M2 does fit the template as far as protein amount goes (1 1/2 cups of chicken salad) but I had no idea about the salad greens being broken down to nothing but that makes total sense. I will start bringing left overs for lunch. You can beef up salad greens by adding roasted veggies or heartier chopped up veggies... 

Dinners definitely fit the template as I feel most secure in this meal as far as meeting all of the guidelines.

Basically I'm doing too much fruit/fat, not enough substantial veggies and a poor M3 option.  Good to know! Thanks! Clarification... no one said you're doing too much fat, you're just using nuts/nut butters for your fat... not ideal.  Read the template again (linked in my signature below) and add fat such as olives, avocado, mayo, mayo based sauces, oils etc... The fatty fish comment was just for the post workout where you don't want fat to slow down the absorption of the protein in your post workout meal.

And if you want fruit, make sure you're eating the template recommended veggies first and using fruit as a condiment (the apple in your salad for instance) instead of letting fruit replace veggies on your plate.

I'll take your advice with these tweaks to see how it goes.

One more (silly) question regarding the template and fats:

I need to choose ONE of those options right?  1-2 thumbsized portion of oil OR 1-2 thumbsized portion of butter OR 1-2 heaping handfuls of coconut OR...etc.

• Moderators

One more (silly) question regarding the template and fats:

I need to choose ONE of those options right?  1-2 thumbsized portion of oil OR 1-2 thumbsized portion of butter OR 1-2 heaping handfuls of coconut OR...etc.

Yes, it's an 'or' list, however if you want mayo and avocado in chicken salad, that's okay... this is a minimum recommendation :)

and by 'butter' I'm assuming you meant 'ghee' because butter is dairy and not allowed.

Awesome, thanks!  So if I do have mayo AND avocado, I should probably do 1/2 of the recommended portion size of each or does it really not matter?  I know some of this stuff is a science, but then other is just a guideline.  Sorry to be difficult.

Yes! Actually I meant to say butters...as in ghee, nut butters, etc. as the template describes.  :D

Thanks again!

• Moderators

Don't worry so much about regulating this... eat the fat that makes your food taste good in sufficient quantities that your meal lasts you 4-5 hours.

I would have a nice mayo-y chicken salad with a whole avocado on a wheelbarrow full of romaine lettuce that was dressed with home made ceaser dressing... delicious!

Archived