Scared I'm gaining weight, and it's only day 3!

Hi Everyone,

I am at the end of Day 3 and I am kind of freaking out.  My stomach is looking so bloated and I just feel heavy and frankly, fat.  I am in the habit of weighing myself every day so that is already difficult for me.  I am scared I am eating too much avocado and oils and too much fatty meat.  I am following the meal template but have always been a "big eater" - eating large portions of anything, almost never feeling full.  My meals are totally compliant, but they are big.  I am eating until I am satisfied right now.  Before the Whole 30, I was purposely eating less than that, so it's feeling uncomfortable psychologically to eat until I'm satisfied.

Anyone have any ideas?  Is it really okay to just ignore calorie counting if I am following the plan?  Is it possible I am having my "tight pants" time very early in the process?

Thanks.

• Moderators

It is really okay to ignore the calorie counting and just follow the meal template. It could be that you're having the tight pants part of the process now. It really will be okay. Don't weigh yourself (if you need to, consider giving your scale to someone else and asking them to keep it at their house until the end of this), eat your meals, and try not to worry about it. Stressing will just make it worse.

First of all, deep breath. You've been without your scale and your calorie-counting for three days, and the old voices in your head are upset with you. Also, you're eating some different foods and in different combinations, and your digestion is figuring out how to handle that. This doesn't mean anything's going wrong, it just means you're doing some new stuff. Really. It'll be OK.

Eating according to the meal template in such a way that you are satisfied for 4-5 hours is triumph. We women are told, endlessly, that we need to underfeed ourselves. I eat dinner out of my former mixing bowls sometimes. Huge, vast quantities of food. It's OK. Look at my photo. Not dead yet!

Your scale gives you exactly one bit of information: your precise relationship with earth's gravitational pull at the moment you step on that particular scale. That's it. It's not a useful measure of health in any way.

Calorie counting presumes that your body uses energy like a machine would. It doesn't. Again, a useless way to measure your health.

Feelings of bloating come and go, and may be brought on by an adjustment period after a change in diet, being premenstrual, not drinking enough water, eating too many raw cruciferous veggies, eating too many nuts, or some random thing that you never quite figure out but the bloating goes away and then you're fine.

The best thing you can do right now is to keep eating. Eat those big meals that satisfy you, and when those horrible voices in your head tell you that your scale this or your calories that or your pants the other, or whatever they scream at you or whine at you or scold at you, you remind yourself that this is all because you've decided to take control of your own health. No more listening to Lies Women Are Told About Our Bodies.

If you would like some specific tips on meal composition or anything else, post a couple of days' worth of your meals here, including other relevant details like water intake, exercise, stress levels, sleep, any other factors like being premenstrual or changing medications or anything else that you might want to include. Then we can give you some tips and more importantly, some encouragement.

You got this. Deep breaths. Eat up. Really.

Nothing else to add on top of the great advice already given, but just wanted to give a virtual hug and say I feel the same, as I'm currently transitioning from a macros way of life!

I'm with foursimplewords - just here to give a little support and personal experience. I've been blown up and bloated since I started, and I'm on Day 12. I also come from an obsessive place of counting/weighing and the thought of gaining more weight definitely freaks me out. But I have to say, the bloating has finally started to go away, and emotionally I feel SO much better - something that the number on the scale could never give me. Keep at it, and trust that it will all regulate itself. :)

I've been eating whole30 style for over two years and have not weighed myself since completing my first official whole30. There are days when I see myself in the mirror and panic about what I probably weigh but it passes. My clothes all still fit, I work out and am in great shape and I'm happy with my relationship with food (most days). I figure what do I have to gain by 'weighing in.' I'm not a competitive wrestler or an animal to be slaughtered so what does it matter what I weigh?

Take the thirty days and I'll be honest probably a while after that. If you stick with the program and cherish the non scale victories, I believe you will come to peace with not knowing what you weigh. No one else cares so why should you measure yourself based on that number. And really- is there any number the scale could say that would make you truly happy? I know for myself that I would always think it could be lower so ignorance is pure bliss :) good luck!

Archived