It's alive!

I'm so proud I have to share RIGHT NOW!

I started growing my kombucha scoby Sunday night but didn't use GT's. I used revive because it has 4 different microbs but I wasn't sure if it would grow cause there wasn't any slime. Well... I have a scoby green thumb! At 5 days it looks like 2.5 weeks old. It's even thickening already!

When I told my boyfriend he says, "its about time you find something you don't kill in the first week." my entire house is a plant graveyard but so far my scoby loves me! Maybe I should name it;) Now, what's a proud mama without baby pics...

post-5493-13488017269524_thumb.jpg

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I bought the tiniest box of sugar I could find (first time I've bought granulated white sugar in over a year!), no paleo police in sight, and fed my mother this afternoon.

Now I can't stop looking at it, thinking it must have doubled or tripled by now.

This is where we were at lunchtime.

Wow you're right. It really is small. How did you start it? I just bottled my first water kefir. The grains weren't super robust so put them in water w/ molasses to help them grow after shipping. I may feed my kombucha mother tomorrow instead of waiting till Sunday... It's so hot and growing so fast I'm scared it'll run out of sugar. Here's my baby.

post-5493-13493207786833_thumb.jpg

Well, I bought the tiniest box of sugar I could find (first time I've bought granulated white sugar in over a year!), no paleo police in sight, and fed my mother this afternoon.

Now I can't stop looking at it, thinking it must have doubled or tripled by now.

This is where we were at lunchtime.

Robin, did feeding your mother help?

That's great! I refed mine Saturday but from the looks of it... It'll be my first batch of kombucha. I tasted the kombucha I breed my mother in and WOW it was like the strongest apple cider vinegar ever. Didn't have anything to store it in but the strength and flavors after two weeks were intense. So I'm probably looking at one week to drink.

I found 7 5-liter glass jars on craigslist for only 35 bucks so I'm going to try making krout tonight and will be able to experiment with different teas and flavors of kombucha soon.

It's definitely bigger (*gets up to look*)! It pretty much covers the surface now, so I'm letting it beef up a bit. I'm having a hard time keeping it warm now, though, because it's cooled off here in MO and we aren't really running the heat yet. Wondering if I should use my heating pad...

It's definitely bigger (*gets up to look*)! It pretty much covers the surface now, so I'm letting it beef up a bit. I'm having a hard time keeping it warm now, though, because it's cooled off here in MO and we aren't really running the heat yet. Wondering if I should use my heating pad...

Yay! I'm so glad it helped. I'd be a tad nervous about a heating pad since they can run hot but happy herbalist sells a heating band that only keeps it a couple degrees above you room temp. If it's finally covering the surface I'd leave it and see what happens over the next week.

Ok, help on this please!!! I had a similar situation as Robin except I was just too AFRAID to put the right amount of sugar in and then in a moment of brilliance (not) put in lemon and ginger (both anti-microbial) tea!!! Luckily, a friend intercepted and fixed my scoby (and gave me one of hers) in time to save him!

So here is my question... How do you know when it's delicious to drink without still having a lot of sugar in it? When I have tasted other people's home brews and even the GT brand, they taste sweet... But I'm too afraid of being left to my own devices that I left mine in for way too long and it was almost undrinkable. The next rotation was delicious but I'm afraid it was sugary.

Any advice on when it's done?

I gently poured out a little and taste tested. You have to pour gently so your scoby doesn't try to escape and when you tilt the jars back the scoby will stay on top. You can also use a straw along the side of the scoby will to taste test (use one in a paper sleeve to avoid contamination). You can also measure alcohol and sugar content with a hydrometer. Happy herbalist has one for a good price that I plan to get next paycheck.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay booch buddies, I think my little mother is finally big enough. Now, though, I'm paranoid of mold. It has one biggish whitish circle the sits above the water line. It doesnt scrape off and it feels firm when I poke it there. Could it just be that this part is lighter because it sits above the water line?

Archived