Whole 30 - on Day 5 and not feeling great.

So I’m on Day 5 of my first Whole 30. I’m not feeling terrible but I’m not feeling great either. Am feeling a bit more rundown/tired than usual. I do a spin class about 4-5 times a week (a 6 a.m. class so I typically do not eat beforehand but will have breakfast after), and I feel like I’m having a harder time keeping up than I usually do and am more tired than usual after. Some headaches. Bit cranky. 

I got a ton of helpful feedback on my meal plans which I’ve been trying to implement, but I also work full-time and have two young children. While I feel like my lunches and dinners have been a good balance of veggies/protein/fat, it’s harder to accomplish that w/ breakfast in the morning crazy of getting everyone ready / out the door. 

But I’m not sure if breakfast is my problem, or if feeling this way is normal for the first week or two as I kick the craving for sugar/carbs. Any advice?

• Moderators

what are you having for breakfast?

It's very likely that you're going to be tired and having trouble with workouts right now as that's pretty standard in the timeline (linked in my signature below).

Cool. I'll take a look at the timeline.

Today, for example, for breakfast I had one hard-boiled egg and one salmon patty. Then I was still hungry and scrambled up three eggs. I know I need to work in veggies but honestly, eating a bucket of raw veggies in the morning sounds totally unappetizing and I didn't have time to roast, etc. I've been cooking ahead as much as I can. Also had black coffee. 

• Moderators

Your breakfast has no fat and yes, you're very right that you need to work in vegetables.  Nutrition is cumulative and having a sub-optimal breakfast is going to set you up for being hungry, tired, lethargic etc... 

Can you eat leftovers from dinner the night before for breakfast?  or bake up a fritatta with lots of veggies and ground meat and eggs and eat a slice of that?

Grated vegetables cook in a pan very quickly... for instance if you take brussels sprouts, slice them finely and then toss them in to some cooking fat in a pan, they're ready in about 5 min... green beans are the same... shredded yams make good hashbrowns using the same method.... 

Archived