Continuing past 30 days

I am on day 34. My doctor and I agreed that I need to keep going because many symptoms that precipitated my whole30 are not resolved. I have had some good successes: blood pressure dropped a lot, got off PPI's like Prevacid for reflux, lost a few pounds But I admit to frustration and boredom and need some post30 encouragement. Dr suggested I try to add things like quinoa but it not sure I'm at a baseline where I would be able to identify the effects of an introduction. Luckily I've always eaten a lot like this plan with whole foods, lots of veg etc.. But I wonder how many folks get to the I-can't-stand-this stage after the first 30??

Congratulations on completing your 30 days! If you are not ready to go off plan, then don't. Add variety to your eating by trying new recipes and new gadgets and kitchen tools. Eventually, you will run into something where you think "I'd like to try that but it's off plan." You can give yourself permission to try those things and see what happens.

You may need some extra time as you've also made medication changes (yay you!  :wub: ) watch our for any rebound reflux if your doctor hasn't discussed this with you, if it happens you may need to do some additional tapering.

When you do get around to Reintroductions, I recommend keeping them simple rather than adding complex products with multiple things in them.

Some people do Whole60s, Whole90s and I've even seen a W365 somewhere, you can do it for a long time if you want to, but it's good to think about why.

Is there anything you're really missing? How are you feeling? Any particular medical conditions/symptoms?

I am definitely missing chocolate but on the healthy side, missing grains: quinoa, rice, emmer farro etc.  I'm thinking that quinoa might be a choice to add back in.  But again...I don't know about things like nightshades...potatoes, mushrooms etc are a favorite and I've never noticed any negatives with them...hard to know...  I think if I were to try to elimate nightshades for a week, I would have trouble surviving without potatoes as well.   It's slow.  For example, I used to always get reflux from bananas, now not so much.

Symptoms are digestive/fibro kind of things...pain, etc.

I just had a lesson on too many pistachios ... won't do that again.  How do you know if it's a particular food or just too much?

Re: rebound reflux...am well past that, am able to cope with occasional CA/Mg tablet (Nema Base), and a new remedy:  a few almonds...who knew?

Emmer & Farro are gluten grains, so keep that in mind for Reintroductions later. Quinoa is a pseudograin, like Buckwheat and these contain no gluten.

If you're adding things back in, you're moving into Reintroduction phase, so if you don't want to do that, you need to stick to the compliant list.

I did a Whole30 without nightshades to see if they made a difference, big difference taking them out, but when I added them back in at lower volume, I didn't get any negatives, but prior to this, I was eating *way* too many nightshades for my body (pretty much all my favourite meals contained 4+ nightshades).

Load vs Ingredient can be tough to measure, you really need to eliminate first and then try reintroducing it. I was able to reintroduce nightshades just fine and I kept increasing the volume until I felt bad, so I could get a feel for the "load" and now, I realise I can easily plan to stay within my tolerance zone, mostly it's been just replacing recipes and not adding all the nightshades into every dish :)

Sometimes keeping a food log and then reviewing it is best, have you looked at things like FODMAPs? Have any reactions? (what happened with the pistachios?) Bananas are part of Latex fruit syndrome https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latex_allergy#Latex-fruit_syndrome

Do you know if you have low stomach acid? Too much stomach acid? Do you take any enzymes or probiotics? Any magnesium?

In reply to praxis project, I am still dragging through this. To be honest, I feel worse than I did before. I've kept a diary up until last week. I'm trying to figure a way to drop night shades but without potatoes and tomatoes (I am totally sick of sweet potatoes) I tend toward too many nuts or nut butter. Maybe I should add the quin I have been true to the program with one tiny inadvertent mistake with a few grains of wild rice in a purchased kale salad.

I have only lost 4-5 pounds in almost 6 weeks which is insane given how much bread, cookies, and chocolate I eliminated. I am really discouraged. My acid issue is too much acid and I've managed with occasional Neem Base, a CaMg alternative to Tums. No Prevacid etc since first week in Feb. So the reflux thing is not gone but is really the best part of this along with the lower blood pressure. Plus I've been eating bananas with less and less problems which is great. Used to get reflux right away, now none.

The high protein breakfast certainly curbs later hunger but I find I am choking it down when what I really want is a just simple piece of toast, oatmeal, or fruit and yogurt.

Are you sure it's too much acid? A lot of people with reflux actually don't have enough, and have trouble digesting food.

If you're sick of sweet potatoes, have something else like pumpkin, beets, there's loads of other starchy veg besides potatoes (either white or sweet).

For nightshades, some people don't have a problem with white potato, some have problems just with the skin.

Nuts can be a gut disruptor for many, so be aware of scenarios where you find you eat more nuts.

Have you tried a soup or something different for breakfast?

The problem with "traditional" breakfasts is they tend to be light on nutrition and high in grains & sugars.

If you're doing Reintroductions you can do that, but you need to decide if you're doing Reintroductions.

Dr says too much  acid because the Neem Base works so well.    I've decided to stop tomatoes and potatoes for maybe a week, check in with my naturopath.  I had blood screeening before I started diet to rule out any  disease process.

Nuts....hmmm that's a possibility..I'll try toning down. 

Quinoa seem ok and the only reintroduction I'm doing given I'm cutting out potato/tomato.  

I do eat lots of squash..have to figure out how to do plantain..not a big pumpkin fan and while I love beets, they don't  fill the potato slot for me..I've substituted potato for grains in stir fry which I like a lot.   I'm giving it some more time but....

Is it unusual to have such a small weight loss?   .  I eat a good dinner, choke down breakfast, and sometimes do a good lunch with leftovers.  I had the same problem with Weight Watchers, losing a lot at the beginning and then slowing down.  I can get rings on that I had to stop wearing but 4 lbs??

Archived