Starting March 14

eyeesha

Skye, congratulations on the job. Enjoy an extra glass of champagne for us.

Madgical many thanks for the carb flu link,  http://paleoleap.com/low-carb-flu/. which does make sense, especially given my previously high carb diet. Also, I had root veg last night then slept well. Day 5 has been my best yet, woke up clear headed and ache free. I even looked forward to my breakfast salad! Also, put on a work suit today that is normally a snug fit and for once, I didn't feel in danger of giving myself a wedgie :P Might be just be fluid loss due to no gluten but still progress worth celebrating :)

Happy Day 5 everyone.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made it to Day 5.  While this week hasn't been all that difficult food-wise, I'm having a hard time anyway.

Maybe it has something to do with starting the Whole30 the day after the beginnings of a migraine started (and has reappeared off and on all week); the day after the time change, etc. etc.  Making it through, just not feeling "the love" yet.  This is my second Whole30, so at least I know what to expect, mostly anyways.  Going to try to do some real cooking this weekend to get ready for next week.

Have a great weekend everyone.

This has been an interesting week for me as well. I didn't do myself any favors by starting right after getting back from India on Sunday. I've been a mess all week - tired, foggy, and irritable. The good news is that I stuck to the plan, and finally had a good night sleep, so I'm feeling good today. 

I have noticed a change in my taste buds - plain tea which didn't taste all that great before now tastes surprisingly sweet.   Weekends are going to be a new challenge - going to a birthday party this evening, which will be filled with champagne and snacks. I think I'm going to bring my own nuts and dried fruit in case I need a snack. lol...I'll be the life of the party!

I have noticed a change in my taste buds - plain tea which didn't taste all that great before now tastes surprisingly sweet.   Weekends are going to be a new challenge - going to a birthday party this evening, which will be filled with champagne and snacks. I think I'm going to bring my own nuts and dried fruit in case I need a snack. lol...I'll be the life of the party!

I had that yesterday, during a salad with Tuna, avo, tomato, bell pepper and EVO.. It tasted almost sweet to me, so went back to the can of tuna to double check, but it really only had tuna, water and salt in the ingredient list.. 

Skye, congrats on the new job! Sorry to see you go, but you know where we are if you feel like trying this again when your life fits the plan :)

Jenmidge, glad you are feeling better. How about the joint pain? As for fluid loss.. I love losing water weight. It makes me feel good, less bloated etc. For people with high blood pressure, losing some fluid will help a lot.

Sasa, I hope you made it through the birthday party ok. I've found it fun to tell people about the Whole30 plan. It makes them back off from offering treats. I even started a conversation at our local bar when I had seltzer with a lime. 

Day 6! It is getting easier, although I was also worried about the weekend. I went to a nice indoor farmer's market today with some friends and picked up some interesting things to add to my meals: fermented beet slaw (like beet-kraut), a jar of cashew/coconut butter, mixed raw nuts, no-sugar-added dried cranberries, and of course some grass fed beef. I treated myself to nuts and the dried cranberries. I know I can't do that every day if weight loss is one of my goals, but hey, it's the weekend.

Time to wrap up the week tomorrow everyone. Keep posting so our topic can remain HOT! :)

Hi all !

Day 9 has started excellent with some oven baked eggs.. I was really hungry this morning for the first time since the start of whole30.. Still feeling ok, but no tiger blood yet.. I did have a headache yesterday, but I think I may not have drank enough water yesterday..

I bought the wel fed and wel fed 2 cookbooks for my kindle. The recipes seem easy enough, so that should be fun next week.

What are your favourite things to eat on whole30?

Day 7!!

Had yummy brunch of spicy tuna cakes (nom nom paleo) with salad of watercress, baby spinach and sliced strawberries drizzled with balsamic vinegar. No added fat as I put plenty of ghee in tuna cakes. Who needs pastries. ;)  

Madgical: joint pain has gone, thank you for asking. I am eating at least one cup of root veg every day and am less worried about adding salt to cooked meals as diet had become almost salt free since giving up the processed junk.

I bought a grapefruit with weekly shop yesterday after your post about it tasting sweet. I've never managed to eat grapefruit without loads of sugar before so am curious to try it.

Happy prepping everyone.

How much prep are all you guys doing?

I went shopping and bought lots of precut frozen veggies for this week to avoid too much prepping :) will use them for my breakfast and for some of the dinners..I have 6 chicken legs marinating in cocomilk/garlic/tandoori-spice-mix which will be roasted in the oven tonight, either to eat with a quick salad or for breakfast.. The rest Will just have to come together during the week..

How much prep are all you guys doing?

I went shopping and bought lots of precut frozen veggies for this week to avoid too much prepping :) will use them for my breakfast and for some of the dinners..I have 6 chicken legs marinating in cocomilk/garlic/tandoori-spice-mix which will be roasted in the oven tonight, either to eat with a quick salad or for breakfast.. The rest Will just have to come together during the week..

I wash all fruits and veggies when I get home (but don't cut up and portion). I have a list of suppers for the week (meal plan) but that's as far as I go.

I'm a stay at home mom so I don't cook anything a head of time.

I find even having a plan and being organized helps A LOT!

The weekend went off without a hitch. I was able to make it through a baby shower without being too tempted by punch or treats. I am surprised how sweet food is tasting. I found some early season strawberries at the farmers market that seemed so sweet. They were amazing, but I was able to eat just 2 or 3 after dinner and feel satisfied. I also do not do a ton of prep. I make a menu and shop for the week. I will make mayo, almond butter, almond milk, egg muffins, etc. if I want it for the week. Otherwise I just wash and put veggies away. I find my dinner prep doesn't take too long (my hubby is a good sous chef) and I always just do leftovers for lunch. 

Jenmidge, I hope you enjoy the grapefruit! I had bought a big bag of them so I am eating one every evening. So good.

EmoM, I am similar to you as far as prep. I don't do a ton of it either. I eat very simply. Often I just throw an onion in a pan to sauté and just go from there. Lunch at work is often leftovers or meat/tuna on top of salad greens. I do hope to read some recipes and try something new. So far the only really new recipe I tried were the egg muffins. (I found them to be really good with salsa!)

From the posts, it seems like nom nom paleo is popular for recipes. Mademechat, first time I have heard of wel fed.

Almost ready to start week 2!

And day 10 has started.. Can't believe it's almost 1/3rd of the plan already. 

Had to force myself to make breakfast this morning.. Was not hungry at all, and monday mornings are never my favourite to begin with.. However, I made scrambled eggs with broccoli and bell pepper, but felt very full and bloated afterwards... I also have been a bit constipated since the start of whole30 (sorry for tmi), and the only thing I have really increased since the start of whole30 is the amount of eggs I eat. I was eating mostly paleo before W30 (with some cheating here and there), and lunch and dinner have not changed much, but for bf I used to eat 1 or 2 pieces of fruit. 

Think I am going to try this without eggs for a few days, and just eat leftovers from dinner for breakfast..

Anybody already noticing any good stuff happening? 

hello everyone. Thought I'd jump into your discussion. I also started on the 14th. So far, it's been going well for me. I've had a few brain foggy days, but I am enjoying being full after I'm done eating. I feel like I have been to the grocery store every day since my whole 30 began. I've made several new recipes, many tasty & some okay. I also want to check out this well fed recipe book, sounds interesting...

Forgive me for the rambling on this post, but I've been meaning to get in on the discussion & am hitting on several ideas at once. Anyways, at this point I'm feeling very positive about this experience.

Hi Betsyk, please continue rambling here :)

I have the same feeling with thw groceries, and I buy a lot every time I go.. It's amazing how much vegetables we eat, isn't it?

I had green salad with chicken this morning, instead of eggs.. and, YAY, I feel a lot better.

We went for a run yesterday night, and it was exhausting, even though I felt quite energetic before... How are your workouts going?

Hello, 3/14 friends!

I fell off the wagon and couldn't get right back up, but restarted on 20th. It was my birthday, and even though there wasn't a party, there were two meals out, then there were leftovers, blah blah blah. Anyway, I got that out of my system and am back on full-force.

One thing that happens quickly when I eat W30 is my cheekbones pop out. My thighs still rub together all the way down to my knees, but my cheekbones pop. Weird, right? That's enough to keep it going, even at bedtime when I find myself looking at baked goods on Pinterest....

I have been eating lots of veggies:) & surprisingly not eating too much fruit. When I got home from work today (I get home at 2 in the afternoon), I did not have my usual need to eat something right when I walk in the door. Everyday I would come home & start snacking & I could never seem to put on the brakes (as they say in It Starts With Food), but today I'm okay not having anything, except for a nice cup of tea, until dinner. I think that's a victory!

I've always been a good exerciser, but because of my food issues could never maintain a better weight, maybe 15-20#s overweight. It's so true that it's not just about exercise. As they say in the whole9 factors, which I have just discovered with my daily email, nutrition, sleep & healthy movement in that order. I've done everything, running, aerobics, weight lifting etc, but right now I'm focused on yoga & walking.

That's it for me. Thanks for your response, madamechat

Hi everyone,

Day 9 for me. Cruising along now. It's very refreshing not to be thinking about candy all day. That's a real win for me. I also like the phrase the authors used, calling it "food without brakes"  For me that's all things sweet. Prior to this I was spending way too much time and energy thinking about what delicious bad food I could eat, and then feeling bad and defeated about it.

Betsyk, glad you could join our conversation. 

ElizabethGA... better luck on this next round. Sounds like you chose a difficult start time for the first attempt.

I'm not much of a workout person, although I try to walk a lot (wear a pedometer daily.. so old fashioned. No Apple watch for me!) AND I try to do some strength training on my own a couple of times a week. I am a bit tired I have to say, and I am hoping that goes away soon. Then again, I need to be better about getting to bed.

BetsyK, I totally relate to your "walk in the door" comment. Before I started Whole30 I was so conditioned to walk in the door and eat a snack. It didn't seem to matter if I ate lunch at 11:00 or 2:30 I ate a snack when I got home. Now, I rarely need a snack because my lunch is more filling. Otherwise things are going well. A couple crazy food dreams already though, is anyone else having these yet?

Just wanted to say Hi & look how you are all doing. :) So far you all sound really great! 

@ElizabethGA: I feel off the wagon as well, but to be honest, even though I'm not eating fully compliant anymore I'm eating far better than ever before. (Had some chocolate & soda today to reward myself as I signed my new work contract and instantly felt horrible. You really learn to listen to your body when doing Whole30. And I'm definitely learning that I don't like food as a reward anymore...)

I nevertheless still keep compliant dishes in my eating routine especially for dinner. What I love is oven baked salmon (cooked in tin foil), with veggies (potatoes, mushrooms, plus whatever I can find) on a bed of rocket salat with dump ranch. Tastes delicious and is currently a stable in our house - as even my boyfriend loves it. Plus it's really easy as you just put everything in the oven and wait for half an hour...

pS: And for you guys who are in it for weight loss: Really keep going and don't think about giving up! When I stopped end of last week I have already lost 3kg (around 6 lbs) and could fit comfortably in a pair of jeans that were too tight before. Now that I'm not really following the program anymore, I already gained 2 lbs (nearly 3) back. So, stick to your plans - it's definitely working & worth it!

I have been eating lots of veggies:) & surprisingly not eating too much fruit. When I got home from work today (I get home at 2 in the afternoon), I did not have my usual need to eat something right when I walk in the door. Everyday I would come home & start snacking & I could never seem to put on the brakes (as they say in It Starts With Food), but today I'm okay not having anything, except for a nice cup of tea, until dinner. I think that's a victory!

I've always been a good exerciser, but because of my food issues could never maintain a better weight, maybe 15-20#s overweight. It's so true that it's not just about exercise. As they say in the whole9 factors, which I have just discovered with my daily email, nutrition, sleep & healthy movement in that order. I've done everything, running, aerobics, weight lifting etc, but right now I'm focused on yoga & walking.

That's it for me. Thanks for your response, madamechat

Betsy, chances are that you are not eating enough for lunch. Check out the meal template on this website.

Hello, I also started on the 14th - can't believe it's day 10 already...so far, it's been pretty good. I agree with everyone about spending more time buying groceries...I'm becoming a veggie queen..I bought a veggie spiralizer thing & I'm so loving zucchini noodles!! I've now started making breakfast in the mornings instead of hitting the cafeteria at work...my stuff tastes so much better even if I am wolfing it down.. I found an app called my Paleo Pal & it's helped me A LOT!! You can set the feed to Whole30 & you post pics of all your meals & snacks. Amazingly, I don't snack anymore...

Thanks for letting share & everyone keep up the good jobs!!

Slightly embarrassed to admit, but I couldn't get my "zuchini noodle contraption" to work so bought a Julienne peeler which also makes perfect noodles. I've had a couple of late nights in the office this week which I wasn't prepared for so ended up eating meal 3 at 10pm when lunch was 1pm. What surprised me was that the thought of a drive thru burger place on the way home was only fleeting and I was able to wait until I got home and cook myself a proper meal. Goes to show that this program really works, as drive thru junk food places were a regular part of my working week in the not too distant past, because I would convince myself that my 45 minute drive home was too long to wait to eat. I already feel much more in control of my food urges.

Happy Easter everyone. 

Hi, I am on day 13 today. It's Easter Sunday here the kids are eating chocolate. Talk about choosing a bad time to do this, it's my daughters birthday next week and then mine the week after. I just felt so enthusiastic. Going well so far though so look forward to chatting with you.

Hi Aliwali, I have renewed respect for anyone doing this with non W30 family. I normally live alone but my family are visiting over Easter and they've brought with them, pretty much my favorite things, wine, cheese, nice bread. Yesterday was cold and wet so we stayed in, I lit the fire and my family made popcorn. I had a few cashew nuts and a green apple :wacko: Although I have been close to giving in, I'm really glad I havn't. With every diet or detox I've ever tried, I would have given in at the first smell of bread toasting in the morning so the fact that I havn't, proves to me that this program really works in giving us back control over our food cravings. So, stay strong, it really is worth it. 

Archived