Greek restaurant items?

stevelucky

You'll need to ask lots of questions on cooking fats used (e.g., avoiding butter and soybean oil), watch out for gluten in gyro meat, sauce on grape leaves (can contain flour), breading on protein.

I typically get something like grilled octupus for an appetizer, a salad without feta (bring my own dressing or request a lemon wedge), grilled or broiled fish, and sauteed vegetables in olive oil.

It very much depends on the restaurant, I've been to a greek restaurant which had nothing gluten free, let alone all the other stuff.

Make sure they know you can't have butter (some people don't count this as dairy), let them know you *can* have olive oil.

Pan fried meats, fried liver (I actually look for liver on the menu, often means a better restaurant), pan fried fish, salads (make sure they are compliant, most can do an olive oil + balsamic vinegar dressing, just check the vinegar is compliant). Fish dishes are often very close to compliant but make sure you ask.

Make sure they understand it's no grains and no flours, or you might cornflour in place of wheat flour (which is still not compliant).

• 2 months later...

Archived