Day 13, suffering on my runs, dreading 13 miles tomorrow!

Mrs.Mathias

Can you please be more specific about portion sizes - particularly how the amount of protein relates to the palm of your hand. How much veg are you eating per meal? What specific types of veg? What exactly does each meal look like? The quantity you are eating each day could well be affecting your runs/walks - or it could be that you need more starch in the day prior to your long run/walk, or more fat in general (whic I see no mention of at all here). How long are yoou going between meals? Struggling with hunger in the mornings how? 

Without specific information it's hard to tell.

I had about 4 oz of meat each morning. The beef was slightly smaller than my palm, I also had half a yellow pepper, half an onion and a big handful of portabella mushroom slices sauteed in 2 Tbs of coconut oil on a small handful of fresh spinach. I could not eat all of it, but I tried. The second day in addition to the peppers and onion, I added veggies leftover from dinner, so that day I had Brussels sprouts, one day I added sweet potato, another was broccoli and cauliflower.

Lunch was about 2 cups of greens, half of a tomato, about 1/2 cup of cucumber, 6 olives, red onion, and leftover steak or grilled chicken. Now that I think about it, the steak was probably smaller than the palm of my hand. Balsamic vinaigrette.

Saturday for breakfast I made the apple hash recipe in the book with chicken and ate it on spinach. I ate half of it. So about 4 oz. of chicken, half an apple, half of a sweet potato and a handful of fresh spinach. I used 2 Tbs of olive oil. It looked like a lot more food than it sounds here.

We were at a little league baseball game, so I ate an Epic bar in between breakfast and lunch.

For lunch I had a leftover stuffed poblano pepper using the stuffed pepper recipe in the book. (Leftover from Thursday dinner.) It had 1/4 lb ground beef. (I don't remember what else was in it.) I also ate a handful of raw snow peas, and about 1 cup of leftover sauteed veggies with cauliflower, broccoli, peppers and onions. I did not add any fats to this meal.

Saturday for dinner I had the Greek salad recipe in the book with a palm sized grilled chicken breast. This salad was the largest one I had made, and it made me think I have not been eating enough veggies at each meal. I followed the recipe exactly including the 15 olives and homemade dressing. It seemed to be at least 3 cups of greens with tomatoes, cucumber and red onion.

As I said, Saturday morning I had half a chicken breast -- about 2 oz. -- before my training walk.

After walking I ate an Epic bar and half of a sweet potato.

Whew! So glad I took notes!

You mention very little in the way of fat apart from the 15 olives in Saturday's dinner. The oil/fat used for cooking can be ignored as most of it stays in the pan so you really need to add an additional source to each meal - be it olives, avocado, mayo or whatever...

Fat is a slow burning fuel which can remain in the blood stream for up to 10 hrs so it's really quite important when trying to become fat adapted & achieve steady energy/blood sugar. Adding fat will also provide satiety without the bulk you'd get from adding a HUGE amount of veg.

Protein provides staying power so you might want to increase the amount of protein you are eating remembering that the recommended template is the absolute minimum to eat. If you're eating less than a palm then it's not enough.

How long are you lasting in general between meals? (given that you needed an epic bar between breakfast & lunch)

What did you eat the evening before the run/walk? It's worth noting that many people report performing better when they 'pre-load' with starch on the day before a long run/walk so this is something you could also try as you move further into your training. I don't think this would be necessary for 6-8miles though.

Typically I am not hungry between meals since starting this plan. I had the Epic bar Saturday only because the baseball game went long and I couldn't eat lunch until nearly 2:00.

I was under the impression from reading the book that the 2 Tbs of fat used to cook foods was the added fat I need per meal. I have to add more fat on top of what I am cooking my foods in? Does the oil in the salad dressings count? I'm using dressing recipes from the book.

I did the long walk Sunday morning, so the late meal Saturday was the Greek salad. Because lunch was so late, I ate dinner closer to 7:00.

I can tell that I am not starting fat adaptation yet. I have no energy during my training walks right now.

No, you definitely need to add fat -a dressing on a salad will count, but many folk will have olives or avocado or something else in there too - fat is very much your friend here.

I think increase protein & fat over the next few days and see how you go - this should really help with energy, and you should see an improvement in your training sessions soon.

Today I racewalked 8 miles and felt pretty good!

Last night I made sure to have a sweet potato with dinner.

Before walking I ate an Epic bar. The first couple of miles were fine. We were at a comfortable pace.

Because I don't plan to carry Clif Shot Bloks for electrolytes and energy anymore, I experimented with carrying coconut water for the electrolytes. Though it didn't bother me, it made me more thirsty. I'm also experimenting with what to eat during my next half marathon and ate one date filled with almond butter about mile 6. It was delicious and so easy to chew compared to Shot Bloks. My pace picked up and before I knew it we were walking much more quickly at a 14:00 min mile!

I'm wondering if I really need the electrolytes (my last half marathon I drank only water, and ended up with leg cramps in the last mile), or if I would be OK putting salt on the date and if that would be enough.

Regardless, I had much more energy today than I have since I started this plan. I probably could have gone much faster, but it was out scheduled long slow day.

Coconut water is touted as some kind of miracle water when in fact it's really just a light fruit juice. We'd recommend here that people only use it in endurance sports, or if they have a job that leaves them prone to dehydration. How long is it taking for you to walk the 8 miles? I'd be inclined to think you'd be fine without it, and could probably just salt the date (although depening on how the long the 8 miles take I wonder if you actually need the date either?) - and ensure your sodium levels are topped up generally.

I don't need the coconut water and date for 8 miles. I'm experimenting now on long distance days to see what sits in my stomach well in preparation for the half marathon I'm doing next month. I have been eating peanut butter toast before races and taking the Clif Shot Bloks during races for many years. It's going to be an adjustment to use something different.

• Administrators

I don't need the coconut water and date for 8 miles. I'm experimenting now on long distance days to see what sits in my stomach well in preparation for the half marathon I'm doing next month. I have been eating peanut butter toast before races and taking the Clif Shot Bloks during races for many years. It's going to be an adjustment to use something different.

Watch the coconut water too, it can have a laxative effect...........which you probably don't want out there in the world.

I just cooked up some compliant turkey bacon to have (along with a fat) prior to tomorrow morning's run.  We're planning on 6.5 miles.  I'm on Day 11.  Last weekend's 6.5 miles was rough.  I had a hardboiled egg and coffee with coconut milk before my run.  It sat weird in my gut.

I've always done sport beans or honey stingers.  I also typically drink SportTea-the ingredients are:  A blend of premium grade black and green teas, siberian eleuthero root (Scientific name eleutherococcus senticosus), ginger, mate, Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid), natural flavorings.                       No sugars or artificial sweeteners.  Does this seem like it's okay with the plan?  I have no idea what the siberian eleuthero root is...

I am not sure I am fat adapting. I'm on day 27 and see no difference in the amount of fat around my middle.

For long distance days (only 8 miles so far):

Dinner night before: lean protein, sweet potato with butter, salad with homemade dressing and olives or veggie with olive oil.

In the morning I ate one Epic bar. (I can't eat anything else before walking.) This week I drank just water while walking, it was hot and I drank 16 oz. At mile 6 I was feeling draggy, so ate a date filled with almond butter. I did have more energy.

I forgot I was to eat protein right away, but did try one package of sweet potato baby food.

As soon as I got home, I had two sausage patties and sauteed veggies with potato.

Regardless, my energy midwalk is mostly better. I wouldn't typically need additional fuel at mile 6, but this day was warm and humid and everyone was draggy.

I've been eating at least one potato a day -- mostly sweet potatoes, but sometimes regular white potatoes. I'm not sure I'm adding enough fats to my first meal. I'm sometimes hungry before 11:00.

OK, that's it for now.

I should add that I am eating my first meal before 6:30, so lasting until 11:00 or 11:30 is really not that bad.  Still, I'm thiking i need to eat more fats and fewer carbs for that meal. If only I could stomach avocado or eggs it would be so much easier.

• 4 weeks later...

I am on Day 8 of my second Whole 30. I am dealing with having to fat adapt ALL OVER AGAIN because I apparently ate a little too much sugar after my first W30. OMG, will not make that mistake again.

I ran 9 miles on Saturday and it was horrible. Legs felt heavy and tired, couldn't catch my breath, it was awful. However, it certainly strengthened my resolve to stick with it because I KNOW fat adaption will happen, and it really is worth it. Learn from my mistake. If you have a sweet tooth, sweets are great every once in a while. But not frequently. Not worth it. Trust me. Yes, I miss cookies, whoopie pies, ice cream, etc. etc. etc. And I never thought I'd say this about anything, but being fat adapted is WAY better.

So, kinda dreading 5 miles tomorrow, but I will suck it up and get it done! And eat my lean grilled chicken and mashed sweet potato right after!

Thank you! My diet has remained largely W30-ish since my first one in Feb-March of this year, but I know where I went wrong. Indulging a little more than I should have. I will be far more judicious after this round. :) And I keep giving everyone the advice you have me - perseverance is key. That helped a lot, especially since now I know it really does happen.

Archived