Food anxiety?

beejo6924

I am on day 6 and have found that the past few days I have had very high anxiety after eating or throughout the day between meals. I recount everything that I just ate, worried that I messed something up or accidently had a non compliant food sneak in. Between meals I get worried that I thoughtlessly snacked on something that I wasn't supposed to, and replay the past few hours in my head. Is this normal? Or has anyone else experienced it?

I believe it is probably stemming from a thoughtless relationship with food previously, meaning that I would eat without thinking or sometimes without reason. I am hoping to form a healthier relationship with food and thinking more about what I am putting in my body.. But this anxiety is worrying me that I am building a more unhealthy restrictive relationship with food. Any thoughts are welcome!

Take a deep breath!

I think you just really want to do this right and you're being too tough on yourself, putting a *lot* of pressure on yourself. It's only for 30 days and while no one wants to restart, if you do have a restart it's not the end of the world as long as you learn something.

Is your kitchen and cupboard safe from non-compliant foods?

When you are counting, what exactly are you counting?

You may find these helpful, there are Rules and there are Recommendations

http://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations/

• 5 weeks later...

I agree to take a deep breath. All this stress is not good for your adrenal glands, and not helpful with your eating.

I would ask myself why you are snacking at all, since it's discouraged. And are you eating out and that's why you're concerned that you got a non-compliant food? I basically make a list of what I'll be eating the next day, it's helpful to me so I don't have to think about it and it works for my family so they know what they'll be eating. But I don't measure or anything. Here is an example:

M1: 4 eggs (no chicken apple sausage thawed), three cuts down the cabbage sauteed (works out to 1 1/2 cups when cooked) and half an avocado

M2: can of tuna with two teaspoons of chesapeake mayo and bok choy and broccoli

M3: Chicken breast, koomachu squash (1/4 which is a fist size) and probably cauliflower rice and zucchini.

Day 5 and I am experiencing this too. I am terrified of fruit. I certainly have sugar issues and I really want this Whole30 experience to change that. I don't want to cut out another food group entirely so any tips on what would be a good method (psychologically) to incorporate a small amount of fruit. Tonight I am having a small apple directly after M3 because I thought it would compliment it as a side dish. Is that okay? Otherwise, I haven't been snacking on anything. I feel like I am constantly second guessing myself!

• Moderators

Day 5 and I am experiencing this too. I am terrified of fruit. I certainly have sugar issues and I really want this Whole30 experience to change that. I don't want to cut out another food group entirely so any tips on what would be a good method (psychologically) to incorporate a small amount of fruit. Tonight I am having a small apple directly after M3 because I thought it would compliment it as a side dish. Is that okay? Otherwise, I haven't been snacking on anything. I feel like I am constantly second guessing myself!

Your apple is fine. Mostly, just make sure you're eating way more veggies than fruit and you'll be fine.

If you want some fruit with a meal try some berries or grapes or chopped apple or pear in a big salad with lots of vegetables, protein and fat.

I would say, don't have fruit just because you don't want to cut it out of your diet. Consider if you really want it or are just thinking you ought to have it. There's not really anything you're getting from fruit that you can't also get from vegetables if you're eating a variety of them. So if you choose to have fruit, have it because it really sounds good with your meal. Strawberries are coming in season here soon, and I love them, so I'll have some, but I'm not going to buy any right now while they're still not really good. I want good ones, not some sad, bland ones just to say I'm having strawberries.

Also experienced anxiety. Mine was definitely related to an unhealthy relationship with food. This is my second round of Whole30, but the anxiety is still there, sometimes. I think the severity will probably be different for everyone.

I've read that fish helps reduce anxiety along with improving sleep, so maybe that's a solution for people who are struggling with this. I'm gonna add more fish this week.

Also experienced anxiety. Mine was definitely related to an unhealthy relationship with food. This is my second round of Whole30, but the anxiety is still there, sometimes. I think the severity will probably be different for everyone.

I've read that fish helps reduce anxiety along with improving sleep, so maybe that's a solution for people who are struggling with this. I'm gonna add more fish this week.

Be sure to make it oily fish like mackerel & salmon - both high in selenium which is know to help with anxiety & mood in general.

This won't help the past, but I find if I plan 14-21 meals for the week, (maybe less?) and i go shopping for stuff once a week, I have an easier time not worrying about if I am compliant or not. then I have everything I need. If there's a day that's particularly stressful, I can move an easier new to that day or use leftovers, but all the stuff I'm eating/gonna eat is compliant so I don't worry as much.

I find that planning helps me too - and we clear our house out (or make designated areas out of sight for things that we may use post-w30). That way, my only choices are w30 compliant. I was pretty stressed my first w30, but it does get easier over time! You get used to what you can and can't eat and don't have to think about it as much anymore. And then the lack of sugar lessened my other anxiety, which was a huge NSV!

How did the rest of your w30 go? Did you find that your anxiety lessened as time went on?

Archived