Mexico

KB2016

Hello Everyone - I am beginning my first Whole30 tomorrow!  Living in Mexico however I find it extremely difficult to find things such a ghee, almond flour, canned sweet potatoes, BUTTERNUT SQUASH - any squash is none existent if its not September/October... Does anyone else live in Mexico and have any suggestions?  Thanks!

• Moderators

I don't live in Mexico, but I can assure you that you can do just fine without those things. There are other cooking oils besides ghee like coconut or Olive oil, lard or tallow, or if you just really want ghee, google how to make it, it's really not hard.

Instead of making foods coated in almond flour, cook them without any breading, or run almonds or other compliant nuts or seeds through a blender or food processor to make your own.

I never buy canned sweet potato, if a recipe calls for it, I buy fresh and cook them first.

For butternut and other winter squashes, just figure out what starchy vegetables you do have access to -- root vegetables, green plantain, potatoes, sweet potato, carrot, canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just plain pumpkin), jicama, for example -- and use those. Be sure to have lots of other, non-starchy vegetables as well.

hello! i don't live in mexico, but i travel there frequently for work (and eat insane amounts of eggs and guacamole while there), so i'd love to hear what you figure out. i know of two health food stores in mexico city, but unfortunately, i usually have to go to the northern states (i'm a reporter, and i cover immigration). still, any information you have on clean eating in mex would be great to know. thank you! i'm on day 9 (in LA), and send you the best as you start the adventure. 

Archived