Lindsay's Whole30 Log-Staying out of the results

LindsayO

Hello! Today is day 1 of me actually following the Whole30 program, staying out of the results, and just trusting the damn process.

Here's what I'm committing to eating today:

3 eggs

1/2 sweet potatoe

1 handful of coconut flakes

1 cup coffee with 2 tablespoons CM and 2 tablespoons collagen powder thing (Great Lakes)

salmon burger on top of spinach with EVOO and vinegar

1 closed handful of macadamia nuts

steak

Brussels sprouts

1/2 sweet potatoe

some berries

1 tablespoon collagen powder thing in hot water before bed (helps me sleep, supposed to help the gut, and has a ton of other benefits, kinda similar to bone broth)

If this keeps me satiated, it will most likely be my usual meal plan, as I can eat the same thing for while without getting tired of it.

I am doing this for support and accountability. Supportive and positive comments appreciated! :)

Day 1 report: I stayed compliant during day 1. I ate some olives and sauerkraut while making dinner, and although it was compliant, olives can kinda be FWB for me as I'll just stand there and try not to eat the whole can! I think eating the sweet potato for breakfast yesterday made me feel sluggish all throughout the day. I didn't eat the sweet potato for dinner as I felt kinda full throughout the day and figured I ate the SP for breakfast so I had my 1 serving of starchy carb for the day. At the end of the day, I had refrained from sugar and that is a good day for me.

Day 2: Today is hard. Staying out of the results is hard. I go one day without eating sugar and I expect my tummy fat to be gone already. I want results NOW. My clothes don't really fit as a result of my eating decisions. I feel fat and just shitty. I hope this thing works.

Coffee with 2 spoons CM and collegen gelatin thing (yes, I had coffee first without food, will try food before coffee tomorrow)

3 eggs

brussel sprouts

2 handful of coconut flakes

Salmon burger and spinach with EVOO and Vinegar

Handful of macadamia nuts

steak

brussel sprouts

sweet potatoe

tea with 2 spoons CM

2 spoons gelatin thing in hot water before bed

I feel fat and just shitty.

A few thoughts for you today, Lindsay:

1)  "Progress ~ not perfection" -- remember this.  You are doing great.

2)  WALK.  Find the time, go for a walk -- outdoors if you can manage it.   It will boost your mood.  Long or short, doesn't matter.  Just walk.  Every day.

3)  You are cracking me up with the "gelatin thing".   :lol:  You could just call it "GLC" (Great Lakes Collagen) from here on out, and we'll know what you mean.  (I use it daily, too.)

4)  Sleep.  Not sure if I can emphasize this one enough.  However much you are getting ~ make it a point to get more.  You will feel better.

5)  Agreed on the sweet potato.  I always had a better experience saving my starchy carbs for the evening meal.

I think the "Kill all things" phase kicked in last night. Was/still is extremely irritable. I also got hungry late afternoon and up until dinner time. I don't like getting hungry. I get anxious. Will eat a little more today and see how I do. I am walking, praying, and getting as much sleep as I can while having a toddler who wakes up crying throughout the night. This thing would be a lot easier if I could go to a cabin in the middle of the woods and just watch movies 24/7. I read the what-to-expect timeline thing, and it sounds like I might be feeling like crap for the next couple weeks? Ugh. Who knows, maybe that won't be the case for me. I'll try to take it one day at a time and have hope for some benefits I might receive after 30 days or sooner.

Any other suggestions for getting through the tough moments where I want to kill everything? Handling a two year old without sugar is a new experience for me.

Today:

Bacon

Coffee with 2 spoons CM & GLC

Eggs

Brussel Sprouts

Some avacoado

Salmon burger

Spinach w EVOO and ACV

Macadamia Nuts

Steak

Broccoli

1/2 Sweet Potatoe

Hot tea with CM

2 spoons GLC

• Administrators

This thing would be a lot easier if I could go to a cabin in the middle of the woods and just watch movies 24/7.

Haha, there are a lot of things that would be a lot easier if we could do this!  ;)

Lindsay, knowing your history & your goals... And from what all you have shared here... I recommend more starchy vegetables. I know your goal is not ketosis. There is no reason you can't have a little with each meal & see how you feel. If you cook an entire sweet potato -- maybe try 1/2 with your lunch & 1/2 with your dinner... Or 1/4 with breakfast & lunch, 1/2 with dinner. Experiment & find what works best for you to feel your best overall. You do not want to get anxiety / hangry to the point of triggering a sugar binge. A gentle reminder that this is how it has gone for you in the past. Plan your meals with the specific goal of avoiding that trap.

Thank you. Adding some sweet potatoes at breakfast seems ideal (as anything besides brussel sprouts as a veggie in the AM doesn't sound appealing), but my experience the other day showed me that it weighed me down and I just felt sluggish all day. I will give this some thought and experiment with what works for me. Maybe I could just eat a whole sweet potato at dinner.

I should be getting both Well Fed books delivered today. Will maybe take me a few days to look at it and try some recipes. I don't consider myself to be a good cook, and I hate cooking. I could eat steak and sweet potato every night, but my husband and toddler cannot. So when I eat steak and potato, they are eating a frozen dinner. Not cool. I won't have my son eating like that. So, I must suck it up and spend time in the kitchen preparing a good paleo meal if I want my son to be healthy. I could fill a room with all the paleo cookbooks I currently have. I'm hoping these books are it!!

On a positive note, I'm feeling somewhat better today. My body doesn't feel quite as jacked up today.

Eggs

Bacon

Brussel sprouts

Coffee with 1 spoon CM & GLC

Salmon

Spinach with EVOO and ACV

Macadamia nuts

Steak

1/2 sweet potato (I only have 1/2 potato in the fridge right now)

Broccoli

2 spoons Flax seeds in warm water (keeps me regular)

1 spoon GLC before bed

So when I eat steak and potato, they are eating a frozen dinner. Not cool.

A large part of making the transition to a Paleo style of eating is changing the idea in our minds of what a meal "should" look like.  Hopefully you will get to a point where you can just "throw things together" and everyone is fine with it.  Doesn't have to be fancy ~ just has to be fuel.  ;)

Our entire family has been eating this way for ~3.5 years now, and I rarely make recipes from any of the many cookbooks I have.  We have a variety of meats & veggies available in the fridge most of the time ...  We just "hodge podge" a lot around here.  Last night was burgers, lots of zucchini cooked in ghee, sausage with peppers, and pork chops.  My husband cooked all of this up at once, everyone had what they wanted, and there are leftovers for today.

If you enjoy making new recipes ~ great!  If you don't, I'm just saying... don't beat yourself up about it too much.  I also think that, as you feel better and better yourself, you will just naturally have more energy and interest in feeding everyone this way.  I hope you love the new books!  :)

Last night: My steak wasn't completely thawed, so I made a lamb chop. It didn't quite turn out  the way I wanted, and had a lot of fat (which I know isn't a bad thing, especially it being GF). So I was afraid I didn't eat enough protein because I couldn't eat much lamb, and then made two eggs and had some coconut milk. I know it's best to have 3 solid meals and this is something I'm working on. I don't like the feeling of worrying about eating enough and snacking on stuff to ensure I'm satiated.

My two Well Fed books arrived. Meh. There might be some easy things I could do, like there's several ways to make a burger, but most of the recipes seem like there's too much work (for me) required. I do have ISWF, and will try the no-fuss salmon cakes and  the ground pork/apple/nutmeg recipe thing.

This morning: I feel bloated. Is this normal? I wonder if it's the coconut milk? Or my snacking around dinner time last night? Still trying to find out which fat source works best. I like avocados but it's so damn hard to get the ripe part right. Hopefully the bloating passes. I also have a dry mouth, which has happened in the past when I reduce my carbs. Overall, I just feel weary, bloated, and honestly craving sugar right now. I DID look at other people's logs, and it gave me some comfort in knowing I'm not the only one doing this thing and experiencing these feelings too.

Compliant bacon

3 eggs

Coffee with 1 spoon CO and GLC

I know, no veggies. Had every intention of adding 1/2 sweet potato, but forgot to throw it in the crockpot to cook before bed. I have 2 in the crockpot now, so I should be covered the next couple days

Salmon

Spinach with EVOO and ACV

Macadamia nuts

Steak

Broccoli

1/2 to 1 sweet potato

Flax seeds

1 spoon GLC

I've been eating sauerkraut and nuts and I think I have candida. I've experienced this before but completely forgot about it. This could explain the bloating I have. Will stay away from sauerkraut and nuts.

Pork/Apple recipie from ISWF

1/2 sweet potato

Coffee

Salmon

Spinach w evoo and ACV

Steak

Broccoli 1/2 sweet potato

2 spoons GLC

Lindsay, there are so many things in Whole 30 land that can cause bloating.   :(   I hope you feel better soon!

I personally don't do well with coconut milk ... sweet potatoes ... nuts ... most high-FODMAP foods.   A little can be fine, but a combination of many, or large quantities daily can build up and start to cause problems.

Check out this article, and (if you want to try it) ~ see if following the green list for a couple of days brings you relief:

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/08/modifying-paleo-for-fodmap-intolerance.html

Archived