Reintroduction of dairy, has anyone else experienced vomiting?

Jessesgirl

I started the Whole30 on August 15th and when the 30 days hit, I felt so good and had no cravings, I decided to just continue. The only thing I've really missed is my morning hot tea with half & half. So on this rainy day in the northeast, I decided to reintroduce dairy and go for my tea. Well let's just say I did not have the reaction I had anticipated!!! I thought maybe I'd break out (my skin has been clear for the 1st time since I was 16 & I'm now 37!!), maybe have a stomach ache, but nothing this drastic. I started feeling a little woozy after half my tea was gone and about 30 minutes had passed and then I had to run to the bathroom and throw up!! I felt like I had food poisoning, it was that bad. Is it normal or has anyone else experienced this type of reaction? I've been eating dairy my whole life & always thought milk allergies would cause a rash or something else, which I've never experienced. This reaction just threw me, does this mean I'm allergic to all dairy?

Oh no you poor thing. I haven't introduced dairy back in yet, but the one thing I've really been missing is my full fat plain/greek yogurt but I'm afraid that I'll have a bad reaction to it, which will make me sad since I LOVE my yogurt and it's been the hardest to give up! I know way back in the day when I used to drink the skim/low fat milks I'd feel sick then when I switched to full fat I was fine, tried finding raw milk but couldn't. Now I stick to homemade almond milk but yeh interested to see what will happen with the yogurt.

I read somewhere when you do an elimination type diet and are reintroducing foods back, you should eat that type of food for one day, for e.g with dairy, have some milk, cheese, yogurt then stop for 2 days and take note of how your body reacts. But if you had such a strong reaction already then I'm not sure.... have you ever been tested for allergies?

I started the Whole30 on August 15th and when the 30 days hit, I felt so good and had no cravings, I decided to just continue. The only thing I've really missed is my morning hot tea with half & half. So on this rainy day in the northeast, I decided to reintroduce dairy and go for my tea. Well let's just say I did not have the reaction I had anticipated!!! I thought maybe I'd break out (my skin has been clear for the 1st time since I was 16 & I'm now 37!!), maybe have a stomach ache, but nothing this drastic. I started feeling a little woozy after half my tea was gone and about 30 minutes had passed and then I had to run to the bathroom and throw up!! I felt like I had food poisoning, it was that bad. Is it normal or has anyone else experienced this type of reaction? I've been eating dairy my whole life & always thought milk allergies would cause a rash or something else, which I've never experienced. This reaction just threw me, does this mean I'm allergic to all dairy?

That seems pretty over the top for 1 TBS or so of dairy correct? Here's my humble opinion. Go back on WH30 for 3 days to figure out if you have something else going on like some sort of virus or something. Then do the transition as it's written in the book. You are supposed to introduce dairy, grains, beans, sugar one item at a time for a full day. Then you go back on Whole30 for 2 days to see how you react or don't react. Then you introduce the next item etc. If nothing else, it gives you the information about what you have problems with.

Thanks for the feedback! I've never been tested for allergies, but I've had dairy my whole life and been ok. So strange! I may try having cheese later just to see? I know dairy is the first reintroduction, so like a said, I was expecting a break out or something, but definitely not this. I just had some eggs with tomato and feel better, so not sure about virus. I guess I'll continue to see how the day goes b

I have a number of food allergies and some are that dramatic. Some people are allergic to the actual proteins in milk and may react to all dairy. Others are lactose intolerant and only react to dairy that has a lot of lactose. I'd eat clean for two days and try again. If it happens again. Wait a week or so and test a fermented dairy (less lactose) or heavy cream. All you can do is test and skin testing isn't very accurate for foods. This is one of the benefits of an elimination diet. Imo, the reintroduction phase of whole 30 is even more important than the thirty and should get a lot more emphasis and time.

Archived