My First Whole30 - Success!!!

BfloAmy

I started my first ever Whole30 on February 1st.  I completed it on March 1st.

Goal?  Because goals are important!  My goal was to give my body a total reset.  I became allergic to dairy a few years ago.  Then last year, gluten and soy seemed to bother me.  So I wanted to give my body a break from all things processed and artificial, so that I could slowly reintroduce them, and really determine what makes me sick and what doesn't.

This is what I learned:

• Preparation is key!!!  I know that Melissa and Dallas harped in the book about how important preparation was.  And I believe in preparation. But Whole30 takes SERIOUS PREPARATION.  You have to really plan out your meals.  You have to buy your groceries days in advance.  And you have to have snacks on the ready!
  • Real, natural, unprocessed food is delicious!  It's so true.  We forget because we eat so many things that are mired with preservatives and sugar.
  • Sometimes all you need is a little olive oil, and salt and pepper to make food delicious.
  • I have quieted my Sugar Dragon.  She was pretty noisy before.  Now she gives me headaches and upsets my stomach, so I'm happy to see her go.
  • I'm stronger than I ever believed I was.  30 days seemed like A REALLY LONG TIME!
  • Support from family and friends is really important.  This forum is also a great place for support.  I feel pretty lucky to have had support from my family, friends, and coworkers.  And when I wasn't sure about something?  I posted on here and pretty quickly received great feedback from folks, including experienced moderator.
  • Tiger Blood!  My Tiger Blood came around Day 6.  Days 4 and 5 I was really exhausted (partially from not eating enough food), and ready to Kill.All.The.Things.  But on Day 6???  I woke up, after a solid 10 hours of sleep, feeling totally amazing!!!!
  • Our bodies really do need 8-9 hours of sleep.  I know, I know. It sounded absolutely ridiculous to me too.  Then, I allowed myself to have more sleep.  Guess what?!  My body feels rested in the morning.  I still sometimes have a cup of tea, but don't feel so exhausted that I am desperate for coffee in the morning.  Coffee with sweetener that is.
  • Bonus?  I lost about 5 lbs.  It is not a goal of Whole30 to lose weight, and not everyone does.  But lucky me!  I did.
  • I slowly started reintroducing foods over the past 6 days.  And guess what?  I can really live without some things that I never thought I could.

This is something that challenges your body and your mind.  There were days when all I wanted was an Oreo.  And I am not an Oreo eater by nature.  But my body craved that sugar/chocolate combination.  Guess what?  Cravings really only are fleeting.  I would focus on something else for a few minutes, and the craving was gone.

The recipes in the book, on Pinterest, and Instagram (the resources I used), are delicious, flavorful, and things I will continue to cook.  Also, if you haven't tried Tessemae's sauces, you absolutely should.  For $40 (plus s+h), they have a Whole30 compliant set of sauces.  8 full bottles of sauces and dressings.  All super delicious.  I love the Buffalo sauce.  I am a Buffalonian (you know home of those darned chicken wings), and I think the Buffalo sauce is one of my favorite sauces ever.

So, you can do it.  And it is soooo worth it.  My body feels so good that I can't imagine changing things now!  To infinity and beyond!!!

This is a great testament to sticking to the plan. I have read too many non success stories and I am closing my viewing here for today with this most positive and encouraging post. Great going on your whole 30, and I am looking forward to joining you on Mar 31.

This is a great testament to sticking to the plan. I have read too many non success stories and I am closing my viewing here for today with this most positive and encouraging post. Great going on your whole 30, and I am looking forward to joining you on Mar 31.

kattwumn- stick to it!  It's hard, but it really is worth it!  It's easy to become discouraged by the non success stories, but you'll thank yourself in the end.

Can't wait to hear from you on March 31st!  And remember that this forum is a super place for support!

Archived