Whole30 in Germany

skye2977

Hi everybody!

I'm 38 and living in Germany. Just prepping for my first Whole30, which is about to start the coming Monday (14th March).

I've been existing on sugar, sweets & junk food for the last 2 decades and now committed to changing things around. Started crossfit lately as well and been cutting out sweets, alcohol and sodas for the last 4 weeks to prepare for the challenge. I'm looking forward to feel more healthy & less tired, exhaused and headache-y.

Unfortunately I'm not very good at cooking (food normally needed to be quickly accessible), so this part will become a bit tricky. But I'm currently collecting recipes and trying to do meal plans, so that I don't risk getting tempted by incompatible stuff.

Not sure if anybody is interested, but I found it very difficult to get shopping lists off the web that are compatible with the German market (ie. there's lots of advice on what to get from Costco or TJ's, but nothing for German supermarkets), so I maybe try to compile a list once I'm starting to do the food shopping.  :)

Even with a shopping list, you have to check ingredients every time you purchase because the formulation may change. Shop the perimeter of the store - fresh fruit and vegetables, meat, poultry and seafood, and venture into the aisles to purchases spices and condiments and you have a perfect Whole30 shopping trip.

Thanks Susan! 

That's defintely a good point to start. I have problems especially in the condiments section. In Germany, you don't get coconut aminos in supermarkets for example. And I haven't seen compliant curry pastes either yet. (Not to speak of Tessamae's sauces et al.) Plus bacon normally contains sugar in most supermarkets... I have a local butcher (where the meat is really sourced locally etc.), but even they add sugar to sausages or cure the bacon with it. 

That's the tricky part therefore and it might help to get hints where to find compliant products (outside of the normal vegetable & meat selection) at Aldi, Lidl, Edeka, Rewe or other German stores. :)

pS: I might just end up doing lots of dump ranch, as eating vegetables without anything else will be a no-go for my husband. 

Archived