Ancient City Whole30 Log

I am on Day 4 now - I have had flu like symptoms since day 2, but they are getting better. I was really exhausted yesterday morning, but that has passed...just a little tired now.

Big test today - co-workers wanted to go to a very good sub place for lunch - this restaurant is owned by a Frenchman who bakes his own bread, so it is very good. Since I had eaten a good breakfast (eggs, turkey, strawberries, cashews) I was not terribly hungry, so it was easier than I expected to drink my iced tea and not be tempted. I ate my own lunch when I got back to work - homemade beef & veggie stew, a salad, and a banana. Yay me!

Another big test tomorrow - a run of 6 miles, followed by a low stress 5K. Energy levels have been a little lower on my runs, but not too bad. Hopefully things will work out...

Good job on sitting somewhere where they make Good bread and staying strong! :) The carb-flu is an energy sucker. I'm on day 10, and only recently had my run in with it (I seem to have a delay in a lot of detox symptoms, for lack of better word). It Does pass. Fats, and starchy carbs (sweet potatoes/yams & winter squashes) have helped me so far.

Good luck with the run tomorrow!

Day 7 already - wow! Not feeling too bad - less stiff this morning tha usual, though I had the worst night's sleep last night. I seem to have skipped the "kill all things" stage and gone straight to "I want a nap". Overall, pretty good though. Cravings are momentary things, not hard to fight because I am full from my meals.

Day 8 begins...and changes are apparent. I am hungry in the mornings - this is new. I am less stiff after sitting for a while. My running has taken a hit, though - running slower, with more effort.

The blahs have set in though - I am thinking, "why am I going through all of this trouble?" Having committed to the whole 30 days means I won't quit, and by then I hope to have may good answers for that "why" question.

The blahs have set in though - I am thinking, "why am I going through all of this trouble?" Having committed to the whole 30 days means I won't quit, and by then I hope to have may good answers for that "why" question.

I'd put money on it!

Thanks for the support, Derval!

Today is Day 8 - I feel sort of blah, but not tired - I am finally sleeping better. Joints still aren't as stiff either - both are good changes. I have a small bit of acne on my face - I rememeber that this may happen as my system clears up. No boundless energy yet, but I don't feel like a nap either.

Day 10 - fell OK, but running is terribke. Haevy legs, tired legs...no energy to run. I did a 12 mile run the Saturday before I started Whole30, and I felt good - now feels like it's harder to stagger through 2 miles than it was to run that 12.

On the other hand - sleep seems to be better. The allergy like symptoms are gone today. I don't feel exhausted in the evening after work - though when it gets dark, I want to go to sleep! The first week it was easy to skip the sweets & breads - this week it's a bit more tempting. I want to eat even though I am full - I think I miss the easy sweets/breads from before. I used to be able to chew gum to keep from snacking like that - but no more. Now I just drink some more water.

So to summarize - Day 10 is kind of blah. Not good, not bad...just here.

Well, I don't have to worry about running for a while...my knee went out on Monday,and it has not gotten better. So I will be having a rest from running. Hopefully my body will have adapted when I come back, and my running will be good.

Sleep still good - I wake up feeling as if I had sleep. Can't say I'm energetic, but I am not tired either. No cravings, but the instances of wanting to grab something to eat, even though I am not hungry, are getting more frequent. Still able to deal with them, though...

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't posted in a while - still plugging away on Day 21. Energy levels are good, I was able to run 6.1 miles on Saturday with no problems. I could do this before Whole 30 without using gels - I didn't know if the same would aplly post Whole 30. Happy to see that I have adapted anough to run the distance without gels. My mood is mostly very content - usually I range from "blah" to mildly depressed. Today I am more "blah", but that's because work is a pain, and I feel as if I have a cold. Jeans are fitting looser..I need to wear a belt! So good results overall...

Today is "blah" - but I think it is because I seem to have a mild cold. I usually don't get sick since I lost a lot of weight about 5 years ago...when I do, it is mild - like now.

Work is stressful today, but I don't seem to be reacting to it as much. I am dealing with it without as much stress. Maybe another Whole 30 benefit?

I started bicycling again last week - rode three times last week, and rode yesterday. No energy problems on the bike either. I tried running every day this year as a challenge, but I had to quit that when I injured my knee for the 3rd time this year. Alternating cycling and running will be much better I think.

Archived