Prediabetic, extreme thirst, peeing so much, only day 2

Hi,

It's only the beginning of day 2 for us and already I'm not feeling my usuall extreme sugar dragon mood swings (Yay!) (btw everything is so delicious!)

I'm a bit concerned though because I have been drinking SO much water and peeing SO MUCH. I've gotten out of bed 4 times to make bathroom pee trips.

I wouldn't be worried about it if it weren't for the fact that every doctor I've had says "that's a sure sign that you are probably becoming more insulin resistant." And that my boyfriend, who's eating the same exact things, isn't reacting this way. And that during the planning stages we ate most of the bad things from our pantry and I had no thirst problems then.

We're following the first week pretty much like the one given in the second book.

Is this a diabetic reaction or a normal thing people go through during 'detoxing'?

Thanks!

I used to be prediabetic too (thanks Whole30, it's now gone :wub:). Are you on any medications for it?

I found I didn't hold on to the same amount of water I used to when I was eating grains, so to start with I felt like I'd sprung a leak, but it settled down in a few days.

You can have changes in how much sodium, magnesium and potassium you either need, or how much you need to ingest (without processed food, most of us won't get enough salt/sodium). High thirst can be a sign of dehydration problems and those are more than just water. Make sure you're getting enough electrolytes (sodium is a common tough one in the first week), vitamins and minerals. You don't need sugar to absorb these, the nutrients are just fine on their own :) If it seems more than adjustment, go and see the doc to get it checked.

If you like hot sauce, Frank's Original Red Hot is a nice sodium boost and tasty (always read the label to check it's compliant).

Thanks! No, thankfully my A1C went down during a paleo stint last year that my doc wanted to wait on taking meds.

I'm so used to trying to put as little salt as I can (dr says to watch my BP) that maybe I'm not using enough. I was also worried about the salt I was using (pink Himalayan) maybe affected it.

Thanks on the tips! Frank's is soo yummy and I'll be sure to use it. :)

(Sorry off topic) I see that you have the MTHFR gene from your post. We're finding out that everyone in my family has the markers & complications from it. I haven't shelled out the big bucks for a test but my doc prescribed folic acid since I was very low. I took methylated folate instead and felt so much better & found my blood results improved. Did you feel like your symptoms improved after W30?

Thanks!

I actually got *rid* of a couple of health conditions from Whole30, but still had a few weird things going on, so I had some extra bloodwork and they tested me for MTHFR as it was related pathways (MTHFR testing is quite cheap in Australia). I take a special form of vitamin B12 and it's made a huge difference :D

But I'm still tweaking on some other things (all related) as I seem to use more than usual of some nutrients (I take a lot and it's not enough). Vitamin C, Vitamin D3, Co Q10, magnesium (just starting taking a new powder form and it's much better), taurine (another recent addition) and I rotate through a number of different things for inflammation.

I now get regular blood tests so we can watch my markers, I'm often low in iron (eat plenty!) and I also had one *very* low reading for DHEA after not getting enough sleep for awhile. My naturopath is pretty geeky about all the pathways, so whenever I feel a bit off, I go and see her and she usually figures it out right away. My homocysteine is still too high.

Extreme thirst or extreme eating (especially if you don't feel hunger) can be a sign of a critical level deficiency (which occurs a lot in MTHFR, not so much the general population), so your body is just trying to ingest everything in the hope it gets whatever it's missing. If you're not taking magnesium, I'd totally add that as well as some sodium (I don't tend to salt my food enough so Frank's and olives really help). Vitamin C we often don't seem deficient in, but it helps us cope with other pathway stresses. Vitamin D3 I take a big dose of too.

Also, if no one has mentioned it, if you're MTHFR you need to have noted in your medical file that you cannot have laughing gas (Nitrous oxide) as it could be fatal. It's not used much these days, but in dental surgery and hospitals it's possible, so any time you might be unconscious or not in direct control of your care, you want to make sure no one gives it to you. The gas itself is not toxic, but MTHFR people can't clear it out of their systems quickly like other people can, so it builds up to a crazy level.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks both you guys! Wow I didn't realize about the laughing gas! I'll have to let my family know since everyone has both genes.

I upped my salt intake and over the next few days it got better and now I'm drinking water normally.

I am still doing the diet but I'll get my blood checked tomorrow when I visit my dad. He has a blood meter for himself.

Archived