Day 21 pants tight as ever

Trying to stay positive. Planning a whole60 because I have major sugar/emotional eating issues but was hoping to see even a small change 3 weeks in. Not giving up by any means. Just started working out a week ago-bootcamp classes.

Hey there

Firstly I'd give you a gentle reminder that this is a 30 day program, and not 21.... sometimes it's not until the end that the magic starts to happen - particularly if you are coming here with a complicated medical back ground, or a history of disordered/restrictive eating.

That said it could be that you are eating foods that are particularly hard to digest (yes, I'm looking at YOU raw veg & nuts!!) or foods that you are sensitive too - things like cruciferous veg or foods high in FODMAPs.

If you'd like any pointers on the composition of your meals it would be helpful to see exactly what you have been eating over the last few days. Please be specific about portion sizes, and the full content of your meals (ie. don't just say lots of veggies)

Thank you. I know-it's my third attempt! And I know I need more than 30 days to begin with. Ok here goes with the meals:

Breakfast

Frittata slice that includes 2-3 eggs, peppers, broccoli cilantro and sweet potato crust. Side of half avocado or few tablespoons guac. Glass of Califia farms no sugar almond milk. (Have increased the size of the slice recently because was getting hungry between meals). Veggies in frittata probably 1/2-1 cup.

Lunch

Big salad. All raw veggies. Mixed greens, tomatoes cucs, peppers. Small handful sliced almonds on top. Protein is either chicken (4-5 oz) or aidell sausage (one isn't enough but 2 is too much sodium) olive oil balsamic dressing. Veggies are 3-5 cups total.

Dinner

6-7 oz Protein (chicken thigh, meatball, steak)

1-2 cups veggie (broccoli, string beans, cabbage slaw)

Sweet potato (about 5 oz)

Avocado or guac

Almond milk

Snacks are raw veggies with salsa is guac and raw almonds (about an oz). I try to eat enough at meals not to snack but sometimes doesn't work. Have used the occasional larabar but avoid at all costs because it's like candy to me. Had a bag of shelled pistachios at home last week which was bad news. Triggered all my negative habits. Won't buy those again.

Thank you. I know-it's my third attempt! And I know I need more than 30 days to begin with. Ok here goes with the meals:

Breakfast

Frittata slice that includes 2-3 eggs, peppers, broccoli cilantro and sweet potato crust. Side of half avocado or few tablespoons guac. Glass of Califia farms no sugar almond milk. (Have increased the size of the slice recently because was getting hungry between meals). Veggies in frittata probably 1/2-1 cup.

Lunch

Big salad. All raw veggies. Mixed greens, tomatoes cucs, peppers. Small handful sliced almonds on top. Protein is either chicken (4-5 oz) or aidell sausage (one isn't enough but 2 is too much sodium) olive oil balsamic dressing. Veggies are 3-5 cups total.

Dinner

6-7 oz Protein (chicken thigh, meatball, steak)

1-2 cups veggie (broccoli, string beans, cabbage slaw)

Sweet potato (about 5 oz)

Avocado or guac

Almond milk

Snacks are raw veggies with salsa is guac and raw almonds (about an oz). I try to eat enough at meals not to snack but sometimes doesn't work. Have used the occasional larabar but avoid at all costs because it's like candy to me. Had a bag of shelled pistachios at home last week which was bad news. Triggered all my negative habits. Won't buy those again.

Yeah, you're eating a lorra lorra high FODMAPs, plus raw veg & nuts - all of which can be problematic.

I've highlighted all the fodmaps for you just so you can get a visual on how much you're eating in one day.

I'd start by ditching the glasses of almond milk - it's fine for adding to coffee, but that's a lot of almonds right there & they are notoriously hard on the digestive system.

I'd probably cut right back on the high FODMAP foods too and replace with items from the green list on >this link<, (check out the infographic about half way down the page.

Once your symptoms subside you can work at reintroducing the offending items - you've probably just gone overboard on them & your tummy is finding the quantity hard to cope with.

Protein & fat wise your meals don't look too bad so try adding in some more veg and see if that tides you over - go for cooked veg over raw for now.

Hope this helps!

Thank you I really appreciate your help. I can easily cut the almond milk. And do some replacing. But is it ok to keep some of these? Like one serving of sweet potato and avocados? Without the avocado and nuts I need help with fats. How long should I eliminate for?

Well, what are you drinking the almond milk for? Nuts are a fat source, but not recommended for regular consumption because they keep people's sugar dragons roaring, cause digestive distress for many, and upset the body's Omega 6/Omega 3 balance. If you're drinking the almond milk as, say, a replacement for a habit of drinking a glass of milk with breakfast and dinner, just drink water. 

As for fat sources, keep the avocado for now. Also, keep the sweet potato for now.

You're giving your body a HUGE daily hit of almonds and have been for some time. Just eliminate that, add more veggies, and see what happens. I bet you'll notice a change.

Thank you I really appreciate your help. I can easily cut the almond milk. And do some replacing. But is it ok to keep some of these? Like one serving of sweet potato and avocados? Without the avocado and nuts I need help with fats. How long should I eliminate for?

Have you tried making home made mayo? I eat that stuff on pretty much everything...

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

Also ghee, lard, tallow, duck/goose fat all work well for roasting veggies in. Then there's coconut oil/milk/cream/flakes/flesh, compliant bacon, fatty cuts of meat like chicken wings (with skins on), ribs, & brisket... Lots of options  :)

I'm in the same boat...I've done Whole30 before and seen positive results but this time my pants at day 20 were so tight that I could barely button them. Still tight at day 23, continuing on but feeling very frustrated.

I'm going to check out the FODMAPS info and hope that day 30 brings something different than the last few days.

thank you all for you incredible insight. 

yes! i made homemade mayo this weekend. i will sub that in for guac for a veggie dip if i need it. may also try dump ranch. 

ok so moving forward totally cutting out nuts, reducing the avocado/guac down to one a day (its currently at 2-3). ok to leave veggies as is? 

ok to leave veggies as is? 

Unless you're particularly active you could probably reduce the sweet potato down to once a day, but if you see that your mood is impacted negatively in anyway or you start to feel anxious then add it back in - or replace it with some other kind of starchy veg like parsnip or turnip for instance.

The thing about FODMAPs is that most people have an upper limit of how much they can tolerate in one day, or one meal even and whislt this may not be your problem there's no point in pushing that limit needlessly when there are so many other veg you can sub with.

Hope this helps :-)

one more question-on the W30 FODMAPs list they show sweet potatoes/yams as a preferred food. confused as to why that is the case if youre suggesting to removed? also is spaghetti squash ok? 

MANY people who don't tolerate high FODMAPs struggle with sweet potato. Personally I can't eat them at all any more and I used to eat them daily.

Apart from the FODMAP issue though our recommendation is for a fist sized serving of starchy veg daily - unless you are very active. Some people need more, some people need less - it's just something you might want to play around with. I'd also suggest holding your starchy veg back until meal 3 as it's less likely to impact blood sugars, and more likely to help you sleep.

As far as the squash is concerned generally speaking the hard skinned variety should be eaten in moderation. Soft skinned squash are usually fair game.

That said you may well find that FODMPAs are not an issue for you and you've just beenWAY over indulging on the nuts......

Ok another question. What's a good non fodmap emergency food? I have epic bars but noticed today they have almonds. I need some non perishable stuff on hand and without nuts or epic bars not sure what to do.

A lot of the bars are loaded with nuts and high FODMAP fruits like dates, so be very careful.

They are supposed to be emergency food, rather than something portable eaten regularly. Small tins of tuna, salmon, sardines, etc are a no-fridge option.

I don't have any trouble with FODMAPs, but if I eat too many nuts, my stomach gets cranky, almonds are tougher to me than other nuts, so I prefer them activated if I ever have them (removes some of the enzymes). Give your stomach a little rest and you may find you're fine with things in moderation.

so ive been reading a lot about the FODMAPs-and the only symptom i have is chronic bloating and gas and sometimes excessive flatulence (though i cant identify which foods trigger it). no BM issues (sorry if this is getting TMI) but i dont want to start eliminating all of these foods (especially onion and garlic since that gives all the flavor to a lot of our cooked food!!) unless i really think its an issue. 

i am definitely cutting out the nuts and keeping potato to 1x/day with dinner. how long would i need to see if that makes a difference? is a week good and then if no change keep cutting stuff? 

I'm about 90% sure that if you stop drinking all that almond milk, you'll be astonished at the results. Pretty close to immediately. It's possible there are other issues, but wow, holy almond milk overload! See what happens if you take that out first.

thanks amy. the 2 glasses of almond milk a day was a pretty new thing (once i discovered the califia farms i was hooked) but i have always snacked on nuts and have had bloating/gas issues prior to the almond milk. so hoping cutting out nuts entirely will make a difference. the thought of having to give up garlic and onions is actually stressful, but ill figure that out if i need to. 

thanks amy. the 2 glasses of almond milk a day was a pretty new thing (once i discovered the califia farms i was hooked) but i have always snacked on nuts and have had bloating/gas issues prior to the almond milk. so hoping cutting out nuts entirely will make a difference. the thought of having to give up garlic and onions is actually stressful, but ill figure that out if i need to. 

I hope it helps!

I agree that giving up onions and garlic could be stressful - our folks on Whole30 who do better without onions and garlic end up feeling so good without them, though, that they don't miss them too much.

Sending calm digestion vibes your way.

...the thought of having to give up garlic and onions is actually stressful, but ill figure that out if i need to. 

If you DO have to go down that route, and I agree with Amy that you may not have to (I've just been arming yoou with as much info as I felt might be necessary) you can always use garlic infused oil & the green parts of shallots for flavour. Believe me I'm a HUGE garlic fiend and I only reintroduced it again last week after being garlic free for SEVEN months..... 

Where there is a will there is a way...

Archived