Easter Dinner

Vivian_55

I am hosting Easter Dinner for the family this year.  It falls on day 20 of our 30 days.  I am planning on Sweet Potato, streamed spinach, and green beans, which I know is all ok.    The main attraction is HAM.  I cannot find if ham is ok or not.  It is a meat. I go to the local butcher who finds pigs locally, butcher them, and smokes his own hams. Would ham be ok?  Suggestions on the dinner roll? and/or dessert?

If you can confirm from the local butcher that the ham isn't cured using sugar or any off-plan ingredients, then that is fine (as long as you don't go home and cover it in brown sugar and butter  ;) ) Otherwise, I'd say you might be better off making a different protein. 

For dinner rolls, I'd say either skip them or have some for anyone not doing the Whole30, but not so many rolls that there are leftovers. 

You could make a fruit salad for dessert. Something bright and fresh. 

I vote skip the rolls all together..  I doubt anyone will notice.. and if they do oh well…  

And dont make anything up, like oh I forgot them at the store.. Just smile and say, yes no rolls this year :)

If you live in the U.S., it's almost certain that you will not find compliant ham. There has been one Whole30er posting here over the past few years who found compliant ham. She knew the farmer and the meat processor. She was able to request to have the cut of meat that is made into ham, just prepared up to the point where sugar would be added; and then she took it home.

If you have this sort of relationship with farmers and meat processors (and this may be the case since you know the butcher), you can let them know what you need and see if they can accommodate you. If not, you can consider ham for the non-Whole30ers and possibly a pork roast for the Whole30ers in the group. As for rolls, if you're good with serving them to the non-Whole30ers and not eating them, just do regular rolls. There won't be any version of rolls that's OK on a Whole30. As for dessert, it's not a Whole30 thing, but if you need to serve something to the rest of the group certainly a fruit salad could be presented as both a side dish and, for those who are eating dessert, a dessert.

Whole30 food is really good, but it does specifically exclude some things like rolls and desserts and sugar-cured ham, so consider whether you want to serve them and have alternatives for yourself (or just leave out that item for yourself).

Good luck and enjoy!

In lieu of ham, we're making a roast turkey this year! Super easy to make sure it's compliant! Just brine it in some broth and spices and then stuff some lemons in the cavity, truss it up, and rub it down with ghee and more spices! :)

Thank you to all the suggestions.  I will check with the butcher about his process of smoking the ham and what he uses.

Love the idea of a fresh fruit salad - it would be bright and fresh.  I live in Maine so it would be a great way to welcome spring!

I think I am going to go with no rolls this year and no excuses.  We will have sweet potatoes, so we have starch, go enough.

I will let you know how it goes - maybe a few pictures.

While it's not literally ham, if you like some tasty pork, other alternatives are:

Pork belly, pork roast with crackling, porchetta (rolled Italian style pork roast - it has the skin rolled into the meat).

Ask your butcher about cuts of pork that are just raw meat, no additives or cures.

Another starch option instead of rolls is some mashed white potato (great with gravy and other sauces).

For "dessert" you could also do a cheese plate with cheese (if you think looking at cheese will be hard, buy cheese you don't like), fruit (like apples, pears and grapes), liver pate, veggie sticks and fruit (just eat the veggies, liver and fruit and you can still be template and dessert free).

While they're not for Easter as such, Mel Joulwan has lots of great company/holiday dishes:

http://meljoulwan.com/2015/11/11/paleo-whole30-thanksgiving-recipes/ (read carefully, some not Whole30 compliant)

Watch the liver pate if you go that route..   read the ingredient list well :)  Out in California I found wine and cooking sherry in it..

Happy planing and Way to go on the  No ROLLS!  :) :) 

• 2 weeks later...

While it's not literally ham, if you like some tasty pork, other alternatives are:

Pork belly, pork roast with crackling, porchetta (rolled Italian style pork roast - it has the skin rolled into the meat).

Ask your butcher about cuts of pork that are just raw meat, no additives or cures.

Another starch option instead of rolls is some mashed white potato (great with gravy and other sauces).

For "dessert" you could also do a cheese plate with cheese (if you think looking at cheese will be hard, buy cheese you don't like), fruit (like apples, pears and grapes), liver pate, veggie sticks and fruit (just eat the veggies, liver and fruit and you can still be template and dessert free).

While they're not for Easter as such, Mel Joulwan has lots of great company/holiday dishes:

http://meljoulwan.com/2015/11/11/paleo-whole30-thanksgiving-recipes/ (read carefully, some not Whole30 compliant)

Is mashed white potato allowed?  I thought we only were allowed roasted potatoes.  I know for me mashed potatoes would absolutely be food without breaks.

Update on Easter Dinner - NEW Challenge!! :huh:  Not doing Easter at my house, but going to Sister in law.  To keep on the Whole30 will be difficult to say the least.  Good thing is that she has asked me to bring Cole Slaw.  I have a great recipe that is Whole30 that both my husband and I like, so at least there will be one food that I know will be ok.  I have no idea what else is on the menu.  I also know that beer and wine will be served.  Would club soda and 100% fruit juice be ok? It would look like I was drinking, but not.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thank you! :rolleyes:

Archived