Red Meat Cravings?

Yesterday marks the end of two completed rounds of Whole 30, and I started round three today. I am on a doctor prescribed plan for both weight loss and battling fatigue, frequent asthma attacks, depression and back and joint pain. I haven't started introducing any non-compliant foods back in to my diet as of yet but I plan to at some point.

I've lost 22 lbs.and feel awesome! My stamina is up and sleeping patterns are much better. I haven't had an asthma attack in two months. My blood work is textbook perfect!

For the last two weeks, I've been craving red meat like crazy. All I want to eat is lettuce wrapped hamburgers with avocado or steak with grilled onions. Has anyone else experienced this while on Whole 30?

Craving red meat is usually a sign of an iron deficiency (& very common in pregnancy!)

I'd run with it, feed the craving, and ensure I was including plenty of dark leafy greens too - think Popeye!  ;) 

If you're not keen on red meat then pork, poultry & seafood are also good sources.

As an aside vitamin c will help with the absorption of iron so you could up your intake of foods like tomatoes, bell peppers, broccoli, berries, citrus fruits, & kiwis.

Dark leafy greens are also naturally high in vitamin c so spinach is good choice all round  :)

There's also lots of B vitamins (including B12) and amino acids and zinc in red meat.

If red meat still doesn't seem to be satisfying it, try some chicken liver (high in all kinds of stuff) and seafood like oysters (high in zinc).

When this has happened in line with healing (or growing a baby), it can be that your body needs some extras for all the repair/building work it's doing :D

If it seems to go on for more than a week, have a chat with your doc about whether you need a blood test, some types of deficiencies are identifiable without a blood test.

I had this too within a few days of my first whole 30 - I pretty much ate red meat for morning noon and night for about 3 days.  Then the cravings subsided and I went back to mixing up my proteins.  But encourage you to roll with it and I would mirror the opinions of my fellow moderators as it is generally a symptom of having a mineral / vitamin deficiency.  Goodness knows I was at the time. 

Good to know! Thank you all! I had thought about the iron deficiency before posting.

I'm not complaining for sure. I love red meat and am making delicious avocado bacon burgers wrapped in lettuce and steak with green cauliflower rice! I'll go with it and if the cravings continue for too much longer, I'll see my doc. She's closely monitoring my progress anyway.

I'm thanking the heavens right now for Whole 30. I'm feeling healthy, losing weight, and feeling nourished by food. It's an awesome relief!

Archived