onlyifchased

What can I make with raw cacao?

I have a bunch. Pre-Whole30 I used to put it in smoothies with bananas, but I know smoothies are discouraged even if the ingredients are compliant. What can I put it in now? Coffee? On some kind of vegetable? In a sauce? I love the flavor but don't know what to do with it!

Ooh, I forgot you can put chocolate in chili. That's awesome, thanks for the idea Tom! It seems low on the veggies, but I'll just have to eat a side with it. :)

I'm a little afraid to tackle a mole sauce but maybe this is a good excuse to try it!

The chocolate chilli is great in different forms, cool with salad or lettuce cups, warm with roast veggies, freezes well too.

Generally if it's not with a protein, stop and review the recipe as it might be SWYPO.

Ooh, I forgot you can put chocolate in chili. That's awesome, thanks for the idea Tom! It seems low on the veggies, but I'll just have to eat a side with it. :)

I'm a little afraid to tackle a mole sauce but maybe this is a good excuse to try it!

The recipe calls for 1.5 tbsp, but I use 2 tbsp. You really don't taste much of the cacao, but it's a wonderful, rich chili and I've made it a couple of times. And I absolutely eat it with large amounts of veggies on the side. It's delicious! :)

I have another question about the cacao. I used to drink unsweetened cashew milk with the cacao, cinnamon and cimayo chili pepper pre W30. I haven't had it during because I thought it might be a SWYPO kind of thing. Is that so?

Occasionally I have had the heated milk with tumeric, ginger and cinnamon.

I have another question about the cacao. I used to drink unsweetened cashew milk with the cacao, cinnamon and cimayo chili pepper pre W30. I haven't had it during because I thought it might be a SWYPO kind of thing. Is that so?

Occasionally I have had the heated milk with tumeric, ginger and cinnamon.

The first concoction sounds an awful lot like trying to create a mexican hot chocolate, I would steer far, far away from that.  Plus it doesn't fit the template and nuts and their milks/butters can be pretty hard on the digestive system.  SWYPO ruling: don't consume during W30.

The second version you have there sounds a bit like Golden Milk.  If you are going to heat turmeric in a milk, it needs to be a high fat milk like coconut (traditional) and you should put some black pepper in there to activate the turmeric.  But..........this isn't super appropriate for your Whole30........it's just 30 days, I'd go without.

There's a rub for steak in ISWF which includes cocoa. I didn't like it on steak but it was awesome on chicken. 

I make a hot drink with 100% cocoa ad hot water. Makes a nice change.

I have a bunch. Pre-Whole30 I used to put it in smoothies with bananas, but I know smoothies are discouraged even if the ingredients are compliant. What can I put it in now? Coffee? On some kind of vegetable? In a sauce? I love the flavor but don't know what to do with it!

Cocoa-Toasted Cauliflower

Cocoa-Cinnamon Roast Sweet Potatoes

Here are a few of the ways I pair the chocolate chili with veggies:

1) scooped into roasted delicata squash halves

2) mixed with diced fried potatoes

3) as topping on taro string fries

4) topped with avocado slices, or olives, or chopped onions

The first concoction sounds an awful lot like trying to create a mexican hot chocolate, I would steer far, far away from that.  Plus it doesn't fit the template and nuts and their milks/butters can be pretty hard on the digestive system.  SWYPO ruling: don't consume during W30.

The second version you have there sounds a bit like Golden Milk.  If you are going to heat turmeric in a milk, it needs to be a high fat milk like coconut (traditional) and you should put some black pepper in there to activate the turmeric.  But..........this isn't super appropriate for your Whole30........it's just 30 days, I'd go without.

Yes, I had a feeling about that! I'm not having it. :)

As far as the Golden Milk, that's easy to omit as well. I wasn't sure how to fit it in with the template. I love the meal plan, BTW. So easy to stick with! I'm on Day 22 and a little shocked at the lack of intensity in my cravings. And this comes from someone who ate at least one sweet thing a day (cookie, chocolate, ice cream... something)! My "cravings" have been more along the lines of nostalgia. I haven't actually *desired* the triple chocolate chip cookies in my fridge. That's a TREMENDOUS change for me. So far, I'm really enjoying changing the way I eat and think about food.

I like her chocolate chili  over cauliflower rice or zoodles topped with an over easy egg and served with a side of her smashed plantains with garlic sauce - delicious!!