Tired of being, well, tired

My husband and I started Whole30 on April 23, 2012. A friend introduced me to Whole30 and I was intrigued. It sounded like exactly what my husband and I needed. We both work demanding jobs, have a three year old who is going through the "terrible threes" and have a seven-month old who eats all day and all night. Did I mention that our house is under renovation? We were both feeling over-tired, over-worked, over-stressed and starting to feel ourselves heading toward a rut. We made the decision to attack it head-on and so here we are.

My husband has Celiac disease. He also has a myriad of other digestive ailments, which he has treated with OTC meds and herbal remedies, like aloe juice. Up until 4/23, he just accepted the fact that his stomach was always going to feel "off" and then it just varied by degree. Since starting Whole30, he hasn't needed any of it. He cannot believe how well he is feeling.

In just nine short days, both of us have more energy, despite getting very little sleep at night. And we just feel better. Does that mean we are ready to run a marathon or even a 5K? No, but to us, it's the small things that make a difference. Our clothes are already fitting better and I can actually fit into pants that last week I would have deemed too tight and unwearable. That's all the motivation we need.

We are committed to being healthier for ourselves and for our children. To us, Whole30 is the best tool to help us stick with this goal. We're looking forward to seeing this through.

Thanks to you both for the encouragement. It's extremely helpful, especially on days like yesterday when despite following the program, you're just so tired (my son was up nursing every two hours the previous night), everyone is cranky and you really, really want to lick the Nutella remnants off of the knife (my daughter loves Nutella almost as much as I do and had some yesterday). I didn't, though. Would licking the Nutella off really make that much of an impact? Maybe not, but I didn't really want to find out. To me, Whole30 is as much about behavior modification as it is about eating the right food. Last night was a step in the right direction. Hopefully, it continues...

Archived