Day 10 AAAAAND letsstartthisoveragain.. Words of Wisdom

Ksass4

Hi I'm Kim - and I am restarting my first Whole30(45) tomorrow, 3/11/16.  :(

Just when I thought I was sailing on a high note, I get brutally slapped back to reality (story of my life, really..)

Why am I restarting? 

Today I found out that carob is non-compliant.  Don't know how I missed that memo, as I don't eat carob, never had it, (or so I thought).  So I never bothered to check that one.  Well, apparently one of the dandelion root teas I drank on Day 3 or 4, has carob in it, but didn't catch it until today when I pulled the box out of the cabinet to get something else out.  I never bothered to check the ingredient list because I knew from before it was a pretty clean ingredient tea.  Guess who just got served in that regard. 

Secondly - I also found out today the raisins I had used in a carrot-pineapple salad, and my beloved "ants on a log" snack/side, have sunflower oil in them.  At least, I think it they do; the bulk bin I got them from has sunflower oil listed in ingredients, but they don't look like the same raisins, and the bin was full/had been refilled since I bought them several weeks ago. I ONLY buy organic raisins since they usually don't have added oils and the whole pesticide thing scares me away from conventional.  Again, going on assumption the ones I bought were without oil, allowed them on my Whole30 as a condiment.  Got served twice in 1 day.. ouch.

So, to the newcomers  - I specifically post this in this section of the forum as to warn you to READ YOUR LABELS.  And when in doubt, avoid/forgo ingredient in question until you have a solid answer from here or a simple "is _______ whole30" google search.  DON'T ASSUME!  Because assumption is what is going to cost you on this.  I was feeling quite defeated and frustrated with myself.  Thought I had this all down.  And I don't take to failure well. 

But tomorrow starts a new day.  So I can either sit here and dwell over my mistakes and say screw it, I can't do this, or I can pick myself up and realize that "crap happens, and for a reason sometimes".  So, I'm going to take this opportunity to clean up my act even further, as I realized I could do better in some other food choices as well (here's looking at you almond butter). 

If you accidentally screw up, IT'S OKAY.. we're human. Don't let the emotional turmoil overcome your newly acquired healthy eating habits.  You're better than that.  If you get sabotaged by a meal that didn't come from your own kitchen and you were only on Day X, guess what, you still made it x amount of days into a healthier food awareness.  The worst you can do is start over fresh the next day, like I am, and gain even better grip on your health.

Here I come, Whole 30(45).

I was under the impression carob was not allowed.  But, both of you are right, according to the "Can I have ____" official page under the 101 section.  I also didn't actually eat it, just steeped in a tea form.

I was aware seed oils are allowed sparingly, but the problem is that I had consumed raisins in that salad for several days in a row, and on the occasional "ants on a log" snack (eaten in a mini meal/side), so I had been technically eating them for majority of the 10 days I have been on this.  That's why I was considering starting over.  I'm definitely cutting back on them anyways as they are sugar bombs, and had planned doing an extended Whole30 anyways, probably 45 days.  So I guess that's what I'll just do then :)

• Moderators

The previous posters are correct, carob is allowed.  Not to bake or make sweet treats but in a tea it's okay.  The sunflower oil is also technically not reason for starting over altho you should ditch those raisins for the rest of your whole 30.  

Just some unsolicited advice also, a mini meal is better off being protein and veg or fat than nut butters and dried fruit. Your meals should be made to last you 4-5 hours.  In the event they don't or you end up with a long time between meals, the mini meal is definitely required but try and make it more nutrient dense and less with the nut butters and dried fruit.

Keep going, you got this!

The previous posters are correct, carob is allowed.  Not to bake or make sweet treats but in a tea it's okay.  The sunflower oil is also technically not reason for starting over altho you should ditch those raisins for the rest of your whole 30.  

Just some unsolicited advice also, a mini meal is better off being protein and veg or fat than nut butters and dried fruit. Your meals should be made to last you 4-5 hours.  In the event they don't or you end up with a long time between meals, the mini meal is definitely required but try and make it more nutrient dense and less with the nut butters and dried fruit.

Keep going, you got this!

I had meat/protein with the mini meals :) the nut butter/raisins were topped on the celery I had.  I don't eat them often, but it was one of those days where I wasn't quite hungry enough to eat an entire next meal(2), but was heading into work and wouldn't have a chance to eat again for another 5-6 hours (8-9hrs since last meal), so I wanted something on my stomach then. 

• Moderators

I had meat/protein with the mini meals :) the nut butter/raisins were topped on the celery I had.  I don't eat them often, but it was one of those days where I wasn't quite hungry enough to eat an entire next meal(2), but was heading into work and wouldn't have a chance to eat again for another 5-6 hours (8-9hrs since last meal), so I wanted something on my stomach then. 

Excellent then!!

Archived